Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Import playlist from fb2k on windows on android without the music files (Read 5126 times) previous topic - next topic

Import playlist from fb2k on windows on android without the music files

Hello,
After some struggling in the beginning now I know how to work with fb2k and I really like it.
On my laptop I use it to create a catalog of the music I have (stored on external disks).
I do not use it as a music player.

I also found the Android apk but this seems only be able to work remote or create playlists from music stored on the Android device.
I'm trying to import a playlist from the PC in the android version.
I know there are ways to synchronize but this will also synchronize the music files and this is not what I need.

When I'm on the go and maybe buy some new music I'd like to have a view on the catalog of music I have.
I do not have a server or my laptop running all day so I cannot connect to it.
It would suffice if I could load a playlist onto the device so I can see what's in the catalog of music stored on external drives.
I know this is not the ultimate goal of fb2k but I wonder if it is possible at all?

Re: Import playlist from fb2k on windows on android without the music files

Reply #1
Can this topic be moved to Foobar2000 mobile?

Reply #2
My process for creating a playlist on my computer and then importing it into my phone is this:

• Go to File > Save Playlist, and then save it as an .fpl file (I believe I tried .m3u and it didn't work)
  • Then, I had to get the file onto my phone somehow (along with all the music files that are on the playlist). I would just connect my phone to my laptop by cable and transfer it like that.
  • Lastly, I would open the file in the foobar2000 phone app, and save the playlist as a new playlist. (The .fpl file is read-only from the phone, but you can copy the playlist to edit there.)

Hope it works for you too!

Reply #3
I didn't know foobar2000 Mobile could load fpl files, I've been manually adding songs to playlists individually all this time! Thank you for saving me a lot of dull repitition!

However, I'm having trouble following your step 3. Here is what I'm doing, perhaps you can help me along.

Step 1 - I create my fpl playlist on my PC using foobar2000.
Step 2 - I transfer the fpl file to my phone.
Step 3 - In foobar2000 Mobile, I go into the Browse menu, select "External Storage," find the fpl, and select it.
Step 4 - This opens a Playlist menu with all the songs which I can then play.

This is where I'm stuck. I can't find a way to save the fpl playlist so that it will show up in foobar2000 Mobile's "Playlists" menu. Could you explain what you're doing to save it as a true foobar2000 Mobile playlist? Thanks!

Reply #4
Ahh, you're right. There was a bit more to that step than I'd remembered. So, since you've successfully opened the playlist:

• Press on the wrench icon in the top right.
  • Press the very bottom option.
  • Press "proceed."

Then, you can add your .fpl playlist to a playlist your phone can edit and all that jazz. Here's hoping the foobar app cleans itself up so this can be more smooth and customizable!

Reply #5
Thank you so much, that worked! I am in your debt!

For anyone coming into this blind, here is a detailed guide on how to import foobar2000 playlists into foobar2000 Mobile:

1.) Create your playlist in foobar2000 on your computer and save it as an .fpl playlist. All songs in the playlist should already exist on your mobile device.
2.) Transfer the fpl file to your mobile device.
3.) Open foobar2000 Mobile to the Browse menu.
4.) If you placed the fpl file on your internal storage, select Internal Storage, otherwise, select External Storage.
5.) Use the file browser to find the fpl file you transferred over and select it. It will open in the Playlist menu with all your songs listed.
6.) Click the Wrench icon at the top right to open the Tools menu.
7.) Under Context Menu, select Context menu: last active view.
8.) You will see a list of all the songs. Click the button at the top right labeled, Proceed.
9.) In the Choose Tool menu, select Create a new playlist. Although it will appear as though nothing has happened, a new playlist has been created.
10.) Press Back several times until you return to the Browse menu.
11.) Select Playlists.
12.) In the Playlists menu you will see a playlist titled New Playlist. Press and hold on it to bring open the context menu.
13.) Select Rename.
14.) In the Rename screen, enter a new name for your playlist and click OK.

Reply #6
Thanks to all in this thread, it's helped me plenty.

What about copying the already manually created playlists on an Android phone to another please?
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #7
Thanks to all in this thread, it's helped me plenty.

What about copying the already manually created playlists on an Android phone to another please?
OK, it's turned out Google account backup/restore did it for me, but now all playlists created in the Android app and now migrated can't find the tracks on the new phone and need updating track by track, anyone knows where they're stored so that I mas perform a mass path update please?

Reply #8
Anybody please?

Reply #9
If you've even managed to get your playlist from one phone to another, you've already gotten further than I! If the same music file is in the same location on your new phone and the playlist isn't reading it, I can't say I have much help to offer. Is your music on an SD card?

Reply #11
Thanks, but unless I'm missing it it doesn't tell you where the app puts the playlists I create with it on my Android device.

Reply #12
@TheAlmightyGuru, thanks for the posted process for doing this. Will these playlists auto-update if I add new music to my phone library? I have all of my music in one folder.