Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates (Read 148876 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates

Reply #525
sory i forgot to mention that it could take also file or directory name for playlist name

thx

Reply #526
Foobar can open shortcuts to audio files when you double-click on them, but not when you drag the shortcuts into the playlist. That means for example, that when I drag a bunch of audio files into foobar, any shortcuts will be skipped. I would need to navigate to the real location of each shortcut to drag it into the playlist. Or I would need to use the enter key, but that is no good when I'm trying to edit an existing playlist.

Therefor I wish that foobar would support dragg & drop of shortcut files.

Reply #528
@Peter I've been using version 2.0 for a while now and have just transitioned to version 2.0 Beta 19 for everyday use because all the major bugs I was experiencing seem to be quashed. 👍

These are my suggestions to improve the UI/UX (and a lot of these are features from SimPlaylist and have already been iterated by me or others through the forum. I'm just adding them to one comprehensive summary here)

Playlist view
  • Dim color of unrated stars. Just to clarify my terms, I believe the proper name of the unrated star glyph is the White Star, and the rated star glyph is known as the Black Star. Please please please dim the color of the unrated star glyphs [ala SimPlaylist]. When every track has some kind of rating, it becomes very difficult to distinguish the ratings (unrated vs rated glyphs) when all the glyphs are the same color. Dimming the color of the unrated star glyphs makes readability of the rated star glyphs much better. Add a toggle option for this in the preferences if it's a potentially controversial change?

Screenshot of SimPlaylist showing the dimmed unrated star glyphs.

Playlist view (no dimming of unrated star glyphs)

• Multiline form field for editing patterns. Preferences > Editing patterns field. Please consider changing this to a multiline field similar to SimPlaylist. SimPlaylist allows for carriage returns/indentation in the titleformating pattern. This is very useful as people who create complex titleformating patterns in foo_tfsandbox or a text editor may use carriage returns/indentation to help with readability. However, as it is now, pasting these patterns into Playlist View is impossible without sanitizing the indentation/carriage returns/commented lines, and of course then the human readability of the pattern is lost forever.

• Add option to sort custom columns. Implement a method in the preferences to quickly sort custom columns. Perhaps via a right click context menu option. Currently we have to reorganize them manually one a time which is laborious for for large sets of custom columns.
  • Add a scrollbar to the columns context menu. Currently the custom columns menu will add a white up and down icon respectively to navigate a columns context menu containing overflow items. This is extremely laborious as it requires manually clicking the up or button menu each time, especially to navigate to the "More" entry. This would be much easier by replacing the up/down icons with a context menu scrollbar.
  • Add custom padding option for columns. Add an option in the preferences where users can specify how much padding (in pixels?) is added between columns and rows. This would help in readability for users that may want a Gmail-esque "comfortable" mode that adds padding between the text strings of cells.
  • Groups > Pin when scrolling [ala SimPlaylist]. The group header is pinned when scrolling.
  • Nested groups [ala Simplaylist]. Add the ability to have more than one group -- nested groups.
  • Dim text within brackets or parentheses [ala SimPlaylist]. Add a toggle option for this in the preferences (if this could be a controversial change?)

ReFacets
  • Columns auto-size option

• Statistics > Rating [stars column]
    This is a feature from the original Facets
  • Sorting columns and filters. Implement a way in the preferences to quickly sort filters and columns. Perhaps via a right click context menu option

Reply #529
I probably should have clarified that #5 "Add custom padding option for columns" is essentially "cell" padding.

Reply #530
I would very much appreciate if the option to specify the temporary directory when using the related setting for the converter portion of the program would be added. For an example of the benefits, I'd like to set it to be on a ramdisk on my system to reduce wear on my SSD.

The related setting I'm referring to (Found in Preferences: Advanced):

Thanks for developing the best audio player on desktops!

Reply #531
Improvement for the track Properties window:

How it is now: When editing tags, you get suggestions based on existing values. For example, you type "Roc...", you get "Rock" auto-suggested based on previous values and you can press TAB to auto-complete the string. Handy.

The problem: When editing multiple values for the same tag, no further suggestions are shown after the first one. You type "Rock; Meta..." but you get nothing suggested. Expected: "Metal".

Improvement: Make the suggestions reset/trigger after every "; ". This way you can do the following:
  • Type "Roc..."
  • Auto-complete to "Rock" by pressing TAB
  • Continue typing: "Rock; Meta..."
  • Press TAB to auto-complete to "Rock; Metal"  <--- this is currently not possible as nothing is suggested
  • Repeat as needed for additional values

Alternate request (more involved solution/feature request):
Did a quick mockup to illustrate my point. This style of UI tends to be popular with web applications but I think it could work well when editing multivalue fields (genre, style, even artists). It would save a lot of time for me personally.

Assumptions:
- You type "Rock" and press enter, it turns into a blue box: [Rock]
- The blue box can be removed by positioning the cursor in front and pressing backspace once, or by clicking the red X button
- The "Remove all" button removes all the blue boxes and anything typed so far
- When typing into empty space (which is not yet a blue box), a dropdown of suggestions is shown that match the current string (TAB autocompletes the string with the currently highlighted suggestion, UP and DOWN moves the highlight around)
- (Optional) When the cursor is in the empty space with nothing typed, a complete list of suggestions is shown (e.g. list of all genres currently present in the library). Alternatively, this function could have a dedicated button "+" which would show the same list when clicked.
- On save, the blue boxes are converted to multiple values as far as the tagging is concerned. For example, [Rock] [Metal] [New] becomes "Rock; Metal; New"
- This new UI would only be enabled for multivalue tags by default (such as genre) or the user could define their own list of tags where this feature is enabled

Reply #532
Improvement for the track Properties window:

How it is now: When editing tags, you get suggestions based on existing values. For example, you type "Roc...", you get "Rock" auto-suggested based on previous values and you can press TAB to auto-complete the string. Handy.

The problem: When editing multiple values for the same tag, no further suggestions are shown after the first one. You type "Rock; Meta..." but you get nothing suggested. Expected: "Metal".

Improvement: Make the suggestions reset/trigger after every "; ". This way you can do the following:
  • Type "Roc..."
  • Auto-complete to "Rock" by pressing TAB
  • Continue typing: "Rock; Meta..."
  • Press TAB to auto-complete to "Rock; Metal"  <--- this is currently not possible as nothing is suggested
  • Repeat as needed for additional values

Alternate request (more involved solution/feature request):
Did a quick mockup to illustrate my point. This style of UI tends to be popular with web applications but I think it could work well when editing multivalue fields (genre, style, even artists). It would save a lot of time for me personally.

Assumptions:
- You type "Rock" and press enter, it turns into a blue box: [Rock]
- The blue box can be removed by positioning the cursor in front and pressing backspace once, or by clicking the red X button
- The "Remove all" button removes all the blue boxes and anything typed so far
- When typing into empty space (which is not yet a blue box), a dropdown of suggestions is shown that match the current string (TAB autocompletes the string with the currently highlighted suggestion, UP and DOWN moves the highlight around)
- (Optional) When the cursor is in the empty space with nothing typed, a complete list of suggestions is shown (e.g. list of all genres currently present in the library). Alternatively, this function could have a dedicated button "+" which would show the same list when clicked.
- On save, the blue boxes are converted to multiple values as far as the tagging is concerned. For example, [Rock] [Metal] [New] becomes "Rock; Metal; New"
- This new UI would only be enabled for multivalue tags by default (such as genre) or the user could define their own list of tags where this feature is enabled

Excellent idea.

Reply #533
This style of UI tends to be popular with web applications but I think it could work well when editing multivalue fields (genre, style, even artists). It would save a lot of time for me personally.
What you're describing are called chips. I doubt tag chips would be implemented here, but your idea is interesting nonetheless. I think the idea would have more synergy if it conformed to fb2k's Win32 UX design; so basically, everything remains the same as it is, except the dropdown suggestion list gets reinitiated after every semi-colon, or between semi-colons. Functionally the same as your idea without the added visuals.

Not sure if this is doable though, or if it breaks some Win32 UX guideline.

Reply #534
I would like to provide an option to hide the menu bar and status bar of the default user interface

Reply #535
Happy New Year Foobarbarians! I am using 2.0 and can't find the option to have player minimized when closed rather than quit.  Apologies if its right under my nose. Danke.

Reply #536
Display > Default User Interface > Background and Notifications...

Reply #537
Tag Sanitizer:
* Button to keep all album art.
* "Delete other tag sets" [than the primary one]. I guess, not to be implemented until fb2k can reliably nuke EAC's ID3 from FLAC.

Reply #538
New option:
Playback > Stop after current album

Reply #540
Language Selection

For files that support multiple Languages (like MKA,MKV) there is no way to select the playback language.  Please provide a dropdown selection of ISO 639-2 codes as a playback language preference, or 'first audio track'.  Then also provide indication of language in the status line.  thanks!

Reply #541
Language Selection

For files that support multiple Languages (like MKA,MKV) there is no way to select the playback language.  Please provide a dropdown selection of ISO 639-2 codes as a playback language preference, or 'first audio track'.  Then also provide indication of language in the status line.  thanks!

This exists in fb2k 2.0. It's named Stream selector in the toolbar.

Reply #542
Hi! I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I had a problem with file associations. foobar2000 just opens the Windows menu for changing them... That was fine in Windows 7, but for some reason they had to make it really unusable in 10, not only you have to open it manually...

...but also there you have to select all file types one by one, which would be really painful when you have a lot of decoding plugins like me, I didn't have to mess with all of them since I've done it on Win 7, but it would be really nice if you could make foobar2000 handle the associations by itself and not the Windows menu. Thanks.

Reply #543
It would be nice to be able to see input and output formats in the statusbar or elsewhere, during playback.
Example: (or side by side)
Input: 16-bit / 44100 Hz / Stereo
Output: 24-bit / 48000 Hz / Stereo
Thank You.

Reply #544
A plugin that downsamples content with a higher number of channels down to 7.1 and another for 5.1 would be useful for ensuring compatibility when using exclusive mode on a system with 7.1 or 5.1 channels. Currently there doesn't seem to be a clean way to downsample 7.1 channels to 5.1, for instance.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #545
Would it be easy to implement cmd modifiers in %filename%, like
%~nfilename%
%~dpfilename%
etc?

Reply #546
This is a simple one. With bitcompare, the report will start by warning me about corrupted files (good!)
But even better: if no differences found (in any of the files, corrupted or not), state that in the very next sentence.

Reply #547
For foobar V2 and a future update on 1_6 (since is a really small feature).
Menu entry to start playback from current playlist. Playback/Play from current playlist
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123659.0.html

Current menus don't allow to do it or depend on other settings which may not be available. A simple entry playing current playlist would solve it (and also simplify control via CMD or keyboard -currently impossible-).

Additionally, or as an alternative, a 'Set focus entry'. i.e. a way to force focus to be set on current selection, for playback purposes.
Edit/Selection/Set focus

Reply #548
Sometimes I want parts of the Media Library not to be included in fb2k temporarily. But I wish to keep its database existing, so it may not be necessary to rescan after adding it again.
So what about adding a context menu to just enable/disable a folder structure?X

Reply #549
Easiest is likely to have a portable fb2k. Copy over settings etc except the media library. I'm "naturally" doing that now that 2.0 is in beta stage...

Alternatives:

* Before firing up fb2k, rename the folder
* If you have an external drive, then change drive letter before firing up fb2k.