Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: amr-wb : higher bit rate helps in noisy conditions ? (Read 9423 times) previous topic - next topic

amr-wb : higher bit rate helps in noisy conditions ?

I'm playing with using amr-wb for podcast recordings on my android.  I'm really size constrained, and it seems amr-wb does a better job than opus in the 12 kbps range.  But the same as opus ~ 16 kbps. See:

http://research.nokia.com/files/public/%5B..._Opus_Codec.pdf

I'll be using this over the car radio, so a relatively noisy environment.

The Library of Congress uses amr-wb for some of its sound recordings. In its description of the codec:

The available bitrates are: 6.60, 8.85, 12.65, 14.25, 15.85, 18.25, 19.85, 23.05 and 23.85 kbps. The lowest rate that provides excellent speech quality in a clean environtment is 12.65 kbps. Higher rates are useful in background noise conditions......

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats...fdd000255.shtml

Now if I need to go up to the 16 kbps range, I might as well use opus, which I use for all my music. But does it make sense that a higher bitrate makes any difference in noisy conditions ?? If I have excellent speech quality at a low noise level, don't I have excellent speech quality at a high noise level? I may need to increase the volume to compete with the noise, but the speech quality hasn't changed. And a higher bitrate doesn't increase the volume. Correct?

Reply #1
That refers to the noise of the recording, not the noise of the playback environment.

Reply #2
Ah. So if I'm transcoding, then 12.65 kbps will work? Great.

Thanks