Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Bug Report] Foobar2000 (v1.6.0_Beta 1), Components page, all items greyed (Read 1558 times) previous topic - next topic

[Bug Report] Foobar2000 (v1.6.0_Beta 1), Components page, all items greyed

I just grabbed Foobar2000 1.6.0 Beta 1
and noticed when I do a HELP(menu)-->"Check for updated components"
all installed components that don't come with Foobar2000 by default were all greyed out... except for foo_input_vgmstream...
if I select or click on any of those installed components they turn back to normal black highlighted color... except for those that come with Foobar2000..

hmm if I do a update check [get updates] button from within the component page with it already open... the components  items do not grey out...

Peter, I hope you can fix this and I am happy to beta test for you for my favorite app Foobar2000...

PS: I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, RAM, and added a Samsung NVMe drive last week so I am now running Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: [Bug Report] Foobar2000 (v1.6.0_Beta 1), Components page, all items greyed

Reply #1
The components must either be installed using foobar2000 itself, or must be installed manually to the user profile directory.

The structure for this profile directory install is:

(foobar2000 configuration directory)\user-components\foo_componentname\foo_componentname.dll (and all that component's associated files)

Installing components from .fb2k-component files using their default file association, or by clicking the Install... button from preferences, installs them this way automatically.

It sounds as if you manually installed some components by copying them to (foobar2000 install directory)\components, which is supposed to be reserved for components which the installer bundles.

Reply #2
Hi Kode54,
no I most certainly did not put them manually in the defaults components folder  >:( 
I know better.. they are installed into the C:\Foobar2000\user-components folder like they should be

I installed them originally from the component installer files.. by double click from Windows explorer...
and do all updates using the internal update check routine...

if you had read my report carefully... I said this only happens when an update check is initiated from the HELP menu option...
They are colored black like they should be when opened via FILES --> preferences..

I moved Foobar2000 outside of the Program files folder when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7... it was of course a fresh install... so it would not have any permission issues and so I could quickly backup one directory and not two (programs and user config dir.)

Reply #3
Well, shit. Sorry man. I should have tested this before doubting your bug report.

Reply #4
Confirmed, thanks for reporting.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
Confirmed, thanks for reporting.
kool thx Peter..
then again it could have been a Windows 10 issue too... not sure.. since I only just installed it last week...

I'm testing on my old Windows 7 laptop

on Windows 7 ULTIMATE SP1 x64
v1.5.5 no issue..
v1.6.0 yup it occurs on Win7 too.

Reply #6
Addressed in beta 2.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #7
Addressed in beta 2.
Thx Peter.
but I don't see it on the change log..
what was wrong with FB2k?

Reply #8
I observed your issue under wine, and here, it was entirely cosmetic, and resolved itself once the updater completed, but before applying the updates with a restart.

Reply #9
I observed your issue under wine, and here, it was entirely cosmetic, and resolved itself once the updater completed, but before applying the updates with a restart.
Kode54 --> "entirely cosmetic"
yeah true... it was a minor bug, but it still kinda a bug... because I don't always find updates available...

Not a problem anymore since Peter fixed it!
 Huwayy! ^_^

Reply #10
You won't find updates available if everything is up to date.

Reply #11
You won't find updates available if everything is up to date.
lol... of course not.. I am just saying I check for updates once a day at least... and the website too...
in doing so I noticed this 'minor' bug..