Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 starts playing by itself (Read 2102 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 starts playing by itself

I waited quite some time before bringing this up, because it is totally random and I have no clue how to reproduce it, but it has happened regularly enough by now to consider it an issue.  I usually never close foobar2000, I just stop it and minimize the window. Since about one month foobar2000 starts playing by itself, randomly, sometimes at night while I'm sleeping and the pc is supposedly in standby.
There are only three changes I made lately that I can relate the problem with: upgrading to version 1.4.2 and newer, switching from JScript Panel to Spider Monkey Panel, installing foo_enhanced_playcount.

Did anybody have similar issues?
I'm late

Re: foobar2000 starts playing by itself

Reply #1
That's strange. Never happened to me.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
Do you have foo_upnp installed? It is possible to wake up the computer sending a Wake-on-LAN request and then control foobar2000 remotely, maybe it's just someone playing pranks on you or something else on your network.  O:)

Reply #4
Is there anything happening that's listed in the Windows Event Logger?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #5
Do you have foo_upnp installed?
No. The component list is the same I've had for the last year, except for spider monkey panel and foo enhanced playcount.
When I was downloading lastfm scrobbles in blocks of about 8.000 tracks at a time, at the end of each import session, playback would start by itself. That's why foo enhanced playcount would be the first suspect, but now this is happening while the player is at rest, so I'm very cautious before blaming the plug-in.

Poltergeist?
That was my first thought when at 4 o'clock in the morning I was awakened by the Trashmen.

Is there anything happening that's listed in the Windows Event Logger?
I guess I was always too shocked to check, for some reason it always happens in the most inappropriate moments. I'll note it down for next time.
I'm late

Reply #6
Can you provide a list of all foobar2000 components you are using?

Any chat or call program with features like auto pause (and unpause) during incoming call or other events?

Is the pc waking up from sleep when this happens? Is some kind of auto-play/resume feature enabled when foobar is starting up?

Any shortcuts for play/pause either binded to your periferials (mouse, keyboard) or triggered in any other way?

Foobar console saying anything when the track starts?

Any other devices with access to your network and a possibly exposed upnp, vnc or similar server?

Leave a portable installation open and see if the symptoms remain while the main one is closed?

Reply #7
Can you provide a list of all foobar2000 components you are using?
(foobar2000 core 1.4.3)
Audioscrobbler 1.4.7
BPM Analyser 0.2.4.6
Columns UI 1.0.0
Custom Database 0.0.9a
Effect DSP 0.35
Enhanced Playback Statistics 3.0.7
EsPlaylist 0.1.3.9
Extended Variables 0.3.1
Lyric Show Panel 3 0.5
Masstagger 1.8.4
Navigator 0.81
Panel Stack Splitter 0.3.8.3(alpha)
Play Next 0.2.1
Playlist Attributes 0.5.5
Playlist Revive 0.2
Popup Panels 0.1.4
Preview 1.4
Quick Tagger 1.0.3
Reverse Player 1.0
Run services 0.3.8
Scheduler 4.14
Skip Track 1.9.10
Soft Playlists 2012-10-10
Spider Monkey Panel 1.1.6-beta+6cc1cbd
Stop on Error 0.6
Text Tools 1.0.5

Any chat or call program with features like auto pause (and unpause) during incoming call or other events?
To my knowledge, none.

Is the pc waking up from sleep when this happens?
I never witnessed it. If it is, I only realize when it has already waken up. Most of the times it happens while I'm using the PC and working with some other application.

Is some kind of auto-play/resume feature enabled when foobar is starting up?
I have the playback option "Save playback state and resume on start up" flagged. Then, several spider monkey panel scripts use a function to force a panel stack splitter refresh, which basically toggles the play/pause command, but all of these scripts are older than the issue.

Any shortcuts for play/pause either binded to your periferials (mouse, keyboard) or triggered in any other way?
I use the standard media keys (play/pause; next; previous) to control playback.

Foobar console saying anything when the track starts?
Never checked, I will.

Any other devices with access to your network and a possibly exposed upnp, vnc or similar server?
No. I used to, but did not yet reinstall them since upgrading my computer. BTW, this is another big change I forgot to mention: a new PC.

Leave a portable installation open and see if the symptoms remain while the main one is closed?
The problem is that this phenomenon is totally unpredictable. The last time it happened, foobar2000 had been running for over three days. I can leave a test installation running, but for how long before I conclude that it is not affected by the same issue?
I'm late

Reply #8
Scheduler 4.14

Check any scheduled tasks that could trigger this behavior.

Spider Monkey Panel 1.1.6-beta+6cc1cbd

Check scripts timers
setInterval
setTimeout

Reply #9
Scheduler 4.14

Check any scheduled tasks that could trigger this behavior.

I can't believe I forgot about it: it was set to start playing at 4 o'clock in the morning! I can't even remember setting this up  :))
I'm my own poltergeist.
I'm late