Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XENYX 502 HELP (Read 1935 times) previous topic - next topic

XENYX 502 HELP

I have a mic and a xenyx 502. It was working before. I disconnected and connected my friend's tascam hoping for better quality, after messing with the properties and what not. Nothing was recording. so i changed it back to the xenyx and now the sounds won't record.

I figured it was that the computer isn't recognizing the mic or the mixer yet.

it was working before so i know nothing is broken unless it broke in the time we were messing with it.

what else could be the problem and the solution?

thank you

XENYX 502 HELP

Reply #1
I have a mic and a xenyx 502. It was working before. I disconnected and connected my friend's tascam hoping for better quality, after messing with the properties and what not. Nothing was recording. so i changed it back to the xenyx and now the sounds won't record.

I figured it was that the computer isn't recognizing the mic or the mixer yet.

it was working before so i know nothing is broken unless it broke in the time we were messing with it.

what else could be the problem and the solution?

If memory serves, you have a 3 part system: A mic, A Xenyx 502 mixer, and an audio interface perhaps a UCA-202 USB audio interface that is often packaged with a Xenyx 502.

The relevant troubleshooting technique is divide and conquer.  Divide the failing system into component parts and test them individually.

As far as the mic goes - mics tend to be reliable and have few adjustments to go wrong. Test with another working system or take your friend's word that it was working with his before he returned it to you. Suspect the mic cable more so than the mic.

As far as the Xenyx 502 goes - it has a lot of adjustments, but you can test it with other audio components. Plug in some headphones. Plug some audio gear like a CD player into an input. Do you hear sound from the other sources?

As far as the UCA 202 goes, you can test it individually. Loop a RCA cable from input to output and test using the freeware Audio Rightmark program.

If all the pieces work, then re-integrate and test working from the simplist component with an easy-to-monitor output, through your final desired system.

Plug the (known working) mic intot the (known working) mixer. Get sound through the headphones with the mic? Adjust as needed.

Then if you get the mixer and mic working, plug in the UCA202. Again does it work now? Adjust as needed. Rpelace any components you find problems with.

Most likely scenarios are bad hookup, bad settings, bad cables.