Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Channel upmixing & lossy coding (Read 1624 times) previous topic - next topic

Channel upmixing & lossy coding

Has anyone tested lossy coding (MP3, AAC, etc) in conjunction with channel upmixing (e.g. Dolby Surround)? Does channel upmixing "break" the psycho-acoustic model, or are they fully compatible?

Re: Channel upmixing & lossy coding

Reply #1
It should be fine.  99.9 % of time there shouldn't be any problems unless you like using very low bit-rates (i.e. 32 kbps or less) or the encoder is bad.

Many DVDs have Dolby Surround encoded tracks that are only 2 channels using the Dolby Digital codec (.ac3) and that is a lossy codec as well.

Re: Channel upmixing & lossy coding

Reply #2
Many DVDs have Dolby Surround encoded tracks that are only 2 channels using the Dolby Digital codec (.ac3) and that is a lossy codec as well.

Actually I meant the "Dolby Surround" introduced in 2014 that supports height channels and all that, not the "Dolby Surround" from the 1980s. It's confusing because they re-used the name.

It's my understanding that lossy codec developers only consider and test the scenario of playing the audio as-is with no further processing. So I wonder whether sophisticated full-bandwidth upmixing could reveal differences that would otherwise be inaudible.