Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: itunes encoding to mono problem (Read 4776 times) previous topic - next topic

itunes encoding to mono problem

ok i am first time poster so i hope this is in the righrt place!

its a simple problem when encoding a cd with mono music on it along with stereo music it the encoder encodes it as if it was stereo even though its mono! do i have to select each track which is mono and change the settings each time? right now its on auto so should it be doing this? or have i set it up wrong ?

any help would be appreciated!

Reply #1
Audio CDs, as defined by the Red Book standard, have two channels (stereo). If you feed this to an encoder and let it automatically decide what to use, it will only see that the input has two channels and therefore the encoded data will also have two channels.

Reply #2
Audio CDs, as defined by the Red Book standard, have two channels (stereo). If you feed this to an encoder and let it automatically decide what to use, it will only see that the input has two channels and therefore the encoded data will also have two channels.

ah ok so its not a fault then!            i thought it would automatically see it was mono and halve it! so do i use  that method for my mono recordings or do i have to switch it to mono everytime i want to use it?

Reply #5
ok i am first time poster so i hope this is in the righrt place!

its a simple problem when encoding a cd with mono music on it along with stereo music it the encoder encodes it as if it was stereo even though its mono! do i have to select each track which is mono and change the settings each time? right now its on auto so should it be doing this? or have i set it up wrong ?

any help would be appreciated!

If you use iTunes to encode AAC, you can set the encoder to automatically detect the number of channels. If you want a command line interface for iTunes, you can use iTunesEncode which can be found here.