Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there any listening results for Psytel AAC v1.2 vs MusePa (Read 28438 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there any listening results for Psytel AAC v1.2 vs MusePa

Reply #50
Beatles

If bitrate is of no concern to you why are you looking at lossy as opposed to lossless formats? Or, is it just an academic exercise to evaluate the current state of the art?

john33

Reply #51
Originally posted by john33
Beatles

If bitrate is of no concern to you why are you looking at lossy as opposed to lossless formats? Or, is it just an academic exercise to evaluate the current state of the art?

john33

Exactly. Become a bit of a hobby. Always enjoyed tweaking which I used to spend hours doing to my turntables. I also suspect one can get fairly decent sound.

Reply #52
Originally posted by JohnV

Interesting. Btw what kind of commandlines you used for MPC, I guess you also disabled mid/side-stereo? I could give you some hints for very high bitrate/quality commandline.
I don't think there's much use to go over 600-700kbps because then lossless coding becomes a viable choise. 

Yeah, I wouldn't save masters in lossy format either...

Certainly I did disable mid/side. The latest I played with was this commandline but it needs tuning. Yields bitrates in the mid 500s.
-nmt 18 -tmn 54 -ms 0 -tmpMask 0
My suspicion is that raising the nmt and lowering the tmn will yield better results. But it's very early in testing Musepack but so far it and AAC seem the only viable ones.

Reply #53
Beatles,

While it is possible that you hear the differences that you describe, and that you say -insane with MPC is "not good enough" so to speak (I assume you mean non-transparent), of course people are going to want abx test results and specific clips to back this up.  Just as VeryBlur's comment about "lifelessness".

In general I tend to find these sorts of comments usually do not lead to anything absolute or objective because they are never proven, and often the person making the claims has no desire from the beginning to make any attempt to even try to prove them.  However, if this is not the case with what you are testing, then it would be a nice surprise...

About your MPC lines, if you find that mid-side stereo and temporal masking are failing, I would like very specific examples of this.

Forgive me for my skepticism, but I do find it a bit hard to believe that even being an audio engineer, you would find a format so non-transparent... one that has been tuned so highly by people with some of the most sensitive ears around already..

So again, as with VeryBlur, I'd ask for both abx results and test clips for all claims regarding something not being adequate, especially in regards to MPC.  Anything is possible, but without this information it does the discussion little good IMO.

Perhaps you can understand, but in discussions such as these, just stating that you are an audiophile or that you are a recording engineer and that you claim a certain thing, without having established some sort of credibility beforehand or providing some sort of reference (in the form of a test clip), well.. we can't just take things for granted.

No offense of course with any of this, it's just standard operating procedure.

Oh, and yes the IRC channel is a good place to discuss things.

Reply #54
Originally posted by Dibrom
Beatles,

While it is possible that you hear the differences that you describe, and that you say -insane with MPC is "not good enough" so to speak (I assume you mean non-transparent), of course people are going to want abx test results and specific clips to back this up.  Just as VeryBlur's comment about "lifelessness".

No it is not "possible" it is what I hear. Now it sounds fine on my computer with Klipsch speakers but on my home rig which is let's just say insanely expensive the shortcomings can be heard. And I KNOW what they're supposed to sound like because I did the majority of the sessions and I know what was put on tape...I did it.
For the shortcomings I find please see my other post. I think transparency is an overused term here.

In general I tend to find these sorts of comments usually do not lead to anything absolute or objective because they are never proven, and often the person making the claims has no desire from the beginning to make any attempt to even try to prove them.  However, if this is not the case with what you are testing, then it would be a nice surprise...

Firstly I have not made any concrete statements just very preliminary findings which will be more fully tested. And should I come up with what I think I will I'll be more than pleased to share even though you and I listen to decidedly different music. My testing is based exclusively on acoustic instruments recorded in real space.

About your MPC lines, if you find that mid-side stereo and temporal masking are failing, I would like very specific examples of this.

This I will do. I am as yet unsure about the temporal masking but the mid/side I have no doubts about. Further testing is required.

Forgive me for my skepticism, but I do find it a bit hard to believe that even being an audio engineer, you would find a format so non-transparent... one that has been tuned so highly by people with some of the most sensitive ears around all ready..

Skepticism is healthy. My ears are how I earn my living and have never let me down yet.

So again, as with VeryBlur, I'd ask for both abx results and test clips for all claims regarding something not being adequate, especially in regards to MPC.  Anything is possible, but without this information it does the discussion little good IMO.

Let me get further on and I will send samples as I suspect the music I'm using will be a little hard to find. MPC is quite a good format yards beyong MP3, of this there is no doubt but AAC has tremendous potential and I am focusing moreso on it right now.

Oh, and yes the IRC channel is a good place to discuss things.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Reply #55
I think an experienced sound recording engineer of course uses blind iterative ABX, ABC or AB to verify his results especially when testing lossy codecs at very high bitrates.

Psychological factor affects all of us, no matter who you are or how much experince you have, how good hearing you have. It of course depends on a person how large this factor is.

And to answer your question about nmt/tmn, yes you should use higher nmt values, I believe tmn is already very very high.

My ears constantly let me down although I have quite much experience from listening testings - or it's not the ears, it the ear-mind combination. That's why blind iterative testing is absolutely necessary, and more important the higher quality you test.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #56
No it is not "possible" it is what I hear.

Understandably you may be sure this is the case for you, but try to realize that in attempting to keep discussions objective for the sake of definite progress, we cannot just assume that you are hearing these things yet.

Now it sounds fine on my computer with Klipsch speakers but on my home rig which is let's just say insanely expensive the shortcomings can be heard.

Er.. Ok, well with that I have a feeling these are claims that are not too likely to be proven if "they can only be heard on an insanely expensive system".  Of course, maybe I'm wrong about this..

For the shortcomings I find please see my other post. I think transparency is an overused term here.

Is it?  Transparency is used to describe when you can no longer hear a difference, usually as in you cannot abx a difference any longer (which should be considered as not hearing a difference).

Subjective comments about the "feel" of music, which cannot be proven by the person making them, should not be taken account when describing "transparency" because, I believe to the individual listener, it is an objective term.

Firstly I have not made any concrete statements just very preliminary findings which will be more fully tested.

Yes, I know.  But the fact that you are using MPC in the 500kbps range implies you believe there are some rather large flaws I'd say.  Especially considering the format is designed for the 192-256kbps range.

And should I come up with what I think I will I'll be more than pleased to share even though you and I listen to decidedly different music.

I'd very much appreciate it

My testing is based exclusively on acoustic instruments recorded in real space.

That's fine.  I'm not sure if you are implying that synthesized music is inadequate or not though.. that's a whole other argument I don't wish to get into again

This I will do. I am as yet unsure about the temporal masking but the mid/side I have no doubts about. Further testing is required.

Well... see, there is one claim there  So bring on the test clips..  Of course, I'll wait for you to come to more of a conclusion first.

MPC is quite a good format yards beyong MP3, of this there is no doubt but AAC has tremendous potential and I am focusing moreso on it right now.

Well I'm very interested in what you find there then.. I can tell you right now that AAC isn't as transparent as MPC with the same level of confidence that you are stating you hear these differences.  I can provide examples where this is the case as well, however since most of the music I listen to is synthesized I'm not sure you'd be interested.  However, since you feel that temporal masking needs to be disabled in MPC (which would in effect increase temporal resolution even more although it is already better than AAC), I'd be very surprised if you thought AAC was better, because it is exactly this temporal area which AAC fails in compared to MPC.

As you discuss decay, one of the most common (and ugly) artifacts with transform coders such as MP3, and to a much less extent AAC, is the pre/post-echo issues, or the temporal smearing.  So I'd be interested to see how you perceive this given the circumstances..

And just out of curiosity, which AAC encoder/build are you using?

Look forward to seeing you there.

Indeed

Reply #57
Hi Beatles,

this is great, I'm enjoying your posts very much! A recording engineer has always been missing on these boards

Originally posted by Beatles
One more I can't recommend highly enough to give your system an all around great workout is Sally Oldfield- Water Bearer preferrably vinyl or the domestic CD. The Japanese mastering is nothing short of music killing.

Hmm, I just dug that out of my CD collection - it sounds quite ordinary to me, but maybe I have got the wrong recording (it's from the "The Sun In My Eyes" Best Of album, released in Germany in 1997 by Delta Music - never heard of them).

I like very much for "richness" of sound (and therefore for testing codecs or speakers): Maggie Reilly's "Follow The Midnight Sun" ("commercial pop" with hardly intelligent lyrics, but IMO great music) and Dire Straits' "On Every Street". If you could get your hands on either of them (especially the first one), could you tell me if you would also consider these good for testing?

(If this request is maybe a bit cheeky and over the top, then sorry )

I'll certainly try to get hold of those other 3 songs that you mentioned.

Thanks again for your interesting posts!

CU

Dominic

Reply #58
i]Originally posted by Dibrom

Er.. Ok, well with that I have a feeling these are claims that are not too likely to be proven if "they can only be heard on an insanely expensive system".  Of course, maybe I'm wrong about this.

No they can be reproduced on a much more real world system I have. Hafler Power/Pre, Pro Ac speakers.

Is it?  Transparency is used to describe when you can no longer hear a difference, usually as in you cannot abx a difference any longer (which should be considered as not hearing a difference).

Subjective comments about the "feel" of music, which cannot be proven by the person making them, should not be taken account when describing "transparency" because, I believe to the individual listener, it is an objective term.

This depends on what system you are A-Bing through. If it's incapable of proper resolution or producing a credible soundstage then people will of course say there's no difference at a much lower level of resolution....doesn't mean it wouldn't be heard on a better system. The threshold tends to be limited by the resolving power of the sound chain. As to feel the points I make above are VERY valid in music reproduction.

Yes, I know.  But the fact that you are using MPC in the 500kbps range implies you believe there are some rather large flaws I'd say.  Especially considering the format is designed for the 192-256kbps range.

Yes I hear flaws and remember I know INTIMATELY what was layed down at the sessions I engineered. I know every sound on those sessions...sometimes too well.

That's fine.  I'm not sure if you are implying that synthesized music is inadequate or not though.. that's a whole other argument I don't wish to get into again

No I don't wish to get into that...I've done many electronic sessions and then spent many hours recreating an ARTIFICIAL soundstage. Electronic instruments certainly have "sounds" that must be reproduced accurately. It CANNOT be used however for imaging or soundstage testing.

Well I'm very interested in what you find there then.. I can tell you right now that AAC isn't as transparent as MPC with the same level of confidence that you are stating you hear these differences.  I can provide examples where this is the case as well, however since most of the music I listen to is synthesized I'm not sure you'd be interested.  However, since you feel that temporal masking needs to be disabled in MPC (which would in effect increase temporal resolution even more although it is already better than AAC), I'd be very surprised if you thought AAC was better, because it is exactly this temporal area which AAC fails in compared to MPC.

I have not stated a preference for one format over the other yet...you might be surprised what a high resolution system might reveal. As of this point I'd say AAC has much POTENTIAL.

Reply #59
Originally posted by Volcano
Hi Beatles,

this is great, I'm enjoying your posts very much! A recording engineer has always been missing on these boards

Hmm, I just dug that out of my CD collection - it sounds quite ordinary to me, but maybe I have got the wrong recording (it's from the "The Sun In My Eyes" Best Of album, released in Germany in 1997 by Delta Music - never heard of them).

I like very much for "richness" of sound (and therefore for testing codecs or speakers): Maggie Reilly's "Follow The Midnight Sun" ("commercial pop" with hardly intelligent lyrics, but IMO great music) and Dire Straits' "On Every Street". If you could get your hands on either of them (especially the first one), could you tell me if you would also consider these good for testing?

(If this request is maybe a bit cheeky and over the top, then sorry )

I'll certainly try to get hold of those other 3 songs that you mentioned.

Thanks again for your interesting posts!

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not familiar with that particular album but beware of any Best of collections. A lot of times the master tapes aren't even used.

On Every Street is deservedly known as an extremely good dynamic recording. Not familiar with that Maggie track but will hunt it down. Loved her vocals on Moonlight Shadows which is a horrible recording BTW.

Reply #61
Originally posted by JohnV
Beatles, I would be insterested what do you think about Ogg Vorbis GT2 350kbps (RC2 Garf tuned 2).

http://sjeng.sourceforge.net/ftp/vorbis/oggdropgt2.exe

Hi John,

Just downloaded and will play around with it. Haven't tried OGG in a while.

Reply #62
Originally posted by Beatles

This depends on what system you are A-Bing through. If it's incapable of proper resolution or producing a credible soundstage then people will of course say there's no difference at a much lower level of resolution....doesn't mean it wouldn't be heard on a better system.  The threshold tends to be limited by the resolving power of the sound chain. As to feel the points I make above are VERY valid in music reproduction.

One thing to keep in mind, is that many of the people who have been advocating and testing various codecs, and whom use "transparent" to describe the sound, usually have tested on at least a somewhat decent system, but what is more important is that they usually have excellent hearing and certainly have a feel for the sound and how it will behave across  many situations (both in encoding and the resulting quality).

Listening on a higher end system may be more revealing, but I don't believe that it will be so much so that the sound would go from being transparent, to completely non-transparent (as in only decent now).

As an example, I've been in many different situations as far as the quality of equipment I have access to is concerned, and the differences (or lack of) that I hear in one situation on a higher end system do not disappear at all on lower end equipment.  In fact, at the moment at least half of the time I'm on a computer right now I only have access to a laptop.. with an utterly horrible soundcard and not the greatest headphones, but the differences I hear on a much better system are surely still there on this lower end system as well.

In my experience, psychoacoustic audio compression quality is not so much like "standard" audio quality in that slight differences become more apparent in different situations (such as the differences noted between vinyl and CD).

Yes I hear flaws and remember I know INTIMATELY what was layed down at the sessions I engineered. I know every sound on those sessions...sometimes too well.

So is this something that anyone else here is going to be able to reproduce at all?  I'm just curious.  The general tone of this discussion seems to be moving into the realm where proving any of this is going to be difficult to near impossible.  First you have the extraordinarily expensive equipment factor (which the majority wont), and second a recording that you seem to know very well, but I assume others won't.  Add that to the fact that you are talking about encoding MPC at 500kbps and it just seems like this will be a case of "I can hear it, even if you can't" and that you will be the only one able to say that.  Again I could be wrong.. but the fact that I don't know anyone who seriously encodes MPC to 500kbps really makes me wonder...

No I don't wish to get into that...I've done many electronic sessions and then spent many hours recreating an ARTIFICIAL soundstage. Electronic instruments certainly have "sounds" that must be reproduced accurately. It CANNOT be used however for imaging or soundstage testing.

I agree with this partially, but not entirely.  Yes, acoustic instruments recorded with natural reverb and the like will create nuances that synthesized music may not have but the issue is more whether or not a codec will reproduce the soundstage, whatever it may be, period.  This includes an artificial soundstage or any imaging effects created from synthesized music.  In short, what applies to one should apply to the other though perhaps not in the same obvious manner.  I also believe that what you are listening for in the soundstage plays just as much of a role.  There certainly is a different effect in this regard from non-synthetic music.

I have not stated a preference for one format over the other yet...you might be surprised what a high resolution system might reveal. As of this point I'd say AAC has much POTENTIAL.

The temporal resolution factor is a result of the fundamental encoding methodologies of the encoders themselves.  AAC uses a method which favors higher frequency domain resolution, MPC uses a method which favors higher temporal resolution.  This is a fact, and is not going to change no matter how expensive a system you listen on..  That's just the way it is.

Both of these use different methods to compensate for the other however.  AAC uses block size switching (it switches to smaller window sizes if it thinks higher temporal resolution is needed) to compensate for a lack of temporal resolution in certain cases.  In practice I believe that MPC's method works better because even with block switching AAC's temporal resolution is not as high as MPC, and I believe most who have done extensive listening tests, experiments, and research in this matter would agree -- MPC is much more often transparent (or near transparent if you'd prefer) than AAC.

So basically, the temporal resolution matter is not going to change, and if you favor that (as would seem the case by further increasing this by turning off temporal masking, and discussing blurring of the sounds and decays.. both of which are temporal matters), then I cannot see how you might come to the conclusion that AAC was as good or possibly better.

I realize you haven't made your decision yet at any rate, and I'm also not implying that AAC isn't also a very fine format, because it definitely is, I'm just stating some points.

Reply #63
Whilst all this is extremely interesting with many comments and opinions on all sides being expressed which I can agree with, aren't we getting a little away from certain truths here?

Surely by its very nature, a lossy codec contains an implicit admission that elements that were present in the original recording are being omitted. The point then is whether a particular codec can achieve a level of 'transparency' at a sensible bitrate. If certain negative characteristics of a particular codec are only evident using studio, or near studio equipment, are they relevant in the context of normal use?

By using a lossy codec in the first place it must necessarily be the case that one is willing, for whatever reason, to suffer some degradation, however small, in the quality of the reproduction. If such is not the case, then don't use a lossy format.

The real question is not whether there will be some measurable degradation, it is whether that level of degradation is acceptable when the compressed recording is reproduced.

It is really 'horses for courses'. High quality sound source for high quality sound reproducing equipment, lossy format for all sorts of reasons of convenience BUT surely NOT for reproduction on the best equipment that money can buy.

Right, now I've had my 2 cents worth, do please continue this fascinating discussion!

Reply #64
john33,

While some of us accept that lossy codecs aren't 100% transparent, others claim that mpc is exactly this.

We'll ignore the torture clips which are artificially generated, since nothing lossy can code these (as yet), so let's just talk about "real" music (whatever that may be). In fact let's narrow it down even further - let's limit ourselves to sounds than can be captured by a microphone in an environment where no electrically powered things are producing sound - i.e. a purely acoustic event, captured by two microphones - this is as basic as recording gets!

Dibrom believes that mpc can code such a recording transparently - that no one will be able to detect the effect of mpc encoding/decoding reliably in a blind ABX or ABC test. Am I right, or am I putting words into your mouth Dibrom?

Beatles clearly disagrees - he hears a difference. His recordings are probably not so basic as I've described, but they're not so artificial or special or whatever that they're codec killers. They're just acoustic recordings, and mpc audibly changes them.

This topic fascinates me, because I have had a hunch for several years now that people such as Beatles are right - but I've never found one who can prove that they are right. The reason I think that there are people who can detect mpc encoding is because I know of people who can detect when a recording has been re-dithered. That's a change to the last bit. mpc (and every other lossy codec) is doing a LOT more than this, so surely someone must be able to detect it? Even in the absence of (what we conventionally call) artefacts.

Beatles,

So, do you have the patience (and time!) to do a blind test? Can you try to burn the original .wav back to a CD-R with the decoded mpc version as well. (Make sure you didn't use -scale on the encoder, because that would ruin things.) You just need the two files on your hard drive, but you need to create maybe 9 or 12 tracks on your CD-R, in groups of three.

In each group of three tracks, you include the mpc version once, and the original version twice. You (or preferably someone else!) randomise the position of the mpc version within the three.

Your task: play the CD-R, and pick the odd one out from each group of three. Give your answers to the person who radnmoised the tracks in the first place, and collect your score.

If you get them all correct, Dibrom will eat his hat (now I'm putting words into your mouth!). If you find the differences suddenly vanish, and you can't hear any difference between the three tracks, then you've been victim to the placeabo effect.

I hope you can find the time to do this test. The results will be fascinating.

Cheers,
David.

http://www.David.Robinson.org/

Reply #65
Originally posted by 2Bdecided
john33,

While some of us accept that lossy codecs aren't 100% transparent, others claim that mpc is exactly this.

We'll ignore the torture clips which are artificially generated, since nothing lossy can code these (as yet), so let's just talk about "real" music (whatever that may be). In fact let's narrow it down even further - let's limit ourselves to sounds than can be captured by a microphone in an environment where no electrically powered things are producing sound - i.e. a purely acoustic event, captured by two microphones - this is as basic as recording gets!

This is the only way to properly discern the damaging effects of lossy encoding in my opinion. The only criterion MUST be real instruments in real space. It is truly the "absolute sound".

Dibrom believes that mpc can code such a recording transparently - that no one will be able to detect the effect of mpc encoding/decoding reliably in a blind ABX or ABC test. Am I right, or am I putting words into your mouth Dibrom?

Beatles clearly disagrees - he hears a difference. His recordings are probably not so basic as I've described, but they're not so artificial or special or whatever that they're codec killers. They're just acoustic recordings, and mpc audibly changes them.

I do have some recordings of acoustic performances in churches and halls with exceptional sound but due to copyright and ethics I cannot share them. Yes MPC audibly changes these recordings. As I've said to Dibrom there is obvious soundstage truncation and some changes in fundamentals ie. the woody sound of a properly recorded cello.

This topic fascinates me, because I have had a hunch for several years now that people such as Beatles are right - but I've never found one who can prove that they are right. The reason I think that there are people who can detect mpc encoding is because I know of people who can detect when a recording has been re-dithered. That's a change to the last bit. mpc (and every other lossy codec) is doing a LOT more than this, so surely someone must be able to detect it? Even in the absence of (what we conventionally call) artefacts.

It depends what the definition of artifacts is.........

Beatles,

So, do you have the patience (and time!) to do a blind test? Can you try to burn the original .wav back to a CD-R with the decoded mpc version as well. (Make sure you didn't use -scale on the encoder, because that would ruin things.) You just need the two files on your hard drive, but you need to create maybe 9 or 12 tracks on your CD-R, in groups of three.

In each group of three tracks, you include the mpc version once, and the original version twice. You (or preferably someone else!) randomise the position of the mpc version within the three.

Your task: play the CD-R, and pick the odd one out from each group of three. Give your answers to the person who radnmoised the tracks in the first place, and collect your score.

If you get them all correct, Dibrom will eat his hat (now I'm putting words into your mouth!). If you find the differences suddenly vanish, and you can't hear any difference between the three tracks, then you've been victim to the placeabo effect.

I hope you can find the time to do this test. The results will be fascinating.

I do intend to do further testing but not for the purpose of making Dibrom eat his words...I have found him to be quite agreeable even if we do disagree..........

http://www.David.Robinson.org/

Reply #66
Don't get me wrong - the purpose isn't to get Dibrom to eat his words. My reason for asking you is to satisfy my own curiosity!

I hope your planned tests are blind.

Cheers,
David.
P.S. I assume you know much more about copyright than me, but it appears that you can distribute a 30 second extract of any recording for educational use under the 10% rule. 30 seconds may not be enough for us to soak up the atmosphere and acoustics, but it might help.

Reply #67
Originally posted by Dibrom

One thing to keep in mind, is that many of the people who have been advocating and testing various codecs, and whom use "transparent" to describe the sound, usually have tested on at least a somewhat decent system, but what is more important is that they usually have excellent hearing and certainly have a feel for the sound and how it will behave across  many situations (both in encoding and the resulting quality).

Listening on a higher end system may be more revealing, but I don't believe that it will be so much so that the sound would go from being transparent, to completely non-transparent (as in only decent now).

Here's my point. The main differences I hear are in soundstaging and in certain fundamentals. Now if the system which is being used for auditioning is incapable of rendering the soundstage or the fundamentals properly then you won't be able to hear a difference because the system is the limiting factor ergo it will sound perfectly fine.

So is this something that anyone else here is going to be able to reproduce at all?  I'm just curious.  The general tone of this discussion seems to be moving into the realm where proving any of this is going to be difficult to near impossible.  First you have the extraordinarily expensive equipment factor (which the majority wont), and second a recording that you seem to know very well, but I assume others won't.  Add that to the fact that you are talking about encoding MPC at 500kbps and it just seems like this will be a case of "I can hear it, even if you can't" and that you will be the only one able to say that.  Again I could be wrong.. but the fact that I don't know anyone who seriously encodes MPC to 500kbps really makes me wonder...

I t can be heard on my real world system as well as recordings I didn't do but am intimately familiar with after years of using them for auditioning purposes. Even at 500BR there are differences. Such is the nature of lossy compression.

I agree with this partially, but not entirely.  Yes, acoustic instruments recorded with natural reverb and the like will create nuances that synthesized music may not have but the issue is more whether or not a codec will reproduce the soundstage, whatever it may be, period.  This includes an artificial soundstage or any imaging effects created from synthesized music.  In short, what applies to one should apply to the other though perhaps not in the same obvious manner.  I also believe that what you are listening for in the soundstage plays just as much of a role.  There certainly is a different effect in this regard from non-synthetic music. 

While I feel that acoustic instruments in a natural setting is far more appropriate your point is well taken. As well please see my above comments regarding the auditioning equipment.

So basically, the temporal resolution matter is not going to change, and if you favor that (as would seem the case by further increasing this by turning off temporal masking, and discussing blurring of the sounds and decays.. both of which are temporal matters), then I cannot see how you might come to the conclusion that AAC was as good or possibly better.

Turning off temporal masking was merely part of the testing procedure. That happened to be the last command line I had used.  At this point I prefer to listen rather than possibly be swayed by any technical arguments. Prefer to remain as open as possible.

I realize you haven't made your decision yet at any rate, and I'm also not implying that AAC isn't also a very fine format, because it definitely is, I'm just stating some points.

Reply #68
Beatles,

could you please use the quotes properly? It is very hard to read you replies with quotes, because one can't distinguish what you say from what the person you are replying to said.

It's easy (note that the < and > have to be replaced with square brackets, [ and ]):

<quote>The person you are replying to said this.</quote>
This is what you are replying.

You must not include your reply within the <quote>...</quote>, if you want to quote multiple passages, you have to use the <quote>...</quote> manually.

Sorry for being off topic.

CU

Dominic

Reply #69
Don't get me wrong - the purpose isn't to get Dibrom to eat his words. My reason for asking you is to satisfy my own curiosity!

I hope your planned tests are blind.

Cheers,
David.
P.S. I assume you know much more about copyright than me, but it appears that you can distribute a 30 second extract of any recording for educational use under the 10% rule. 30 seconds may not be enough for us to soak up the atmosphere and acoustics, but it might help.

No I understand that wasn't your purpose David. As to the clips it's more a sense of ethics. Without express permission from the artists I won't share even 30 seconds of their work. This policy has allowed me to work many times with many well known artists. They know I can be trusted. For instance Paul McCartney's latest album was sabotaged and available on the internet 2 months before last weeks release. My word is my bond on these issues.

Reply #70
Originally posted by Volcano
Beatles,

could you please use the quotes properly? It is very hard to read you replies with quotes, because one can't distinguish what you say from what the person you are replying to said.

It's easy (note that the < and > have to be replaced with square brackets, [ and ]):

<quote>The person you are replying to said this.</quote>
This is what you are replying.

You must not include your reply within the <quote>...</quote>, if you want to quote multiple passages, you have to use the <quote>...</quote> manually.

Sorry for being off topic.

CU

Dominic

Hi Dominic,
Just can't seem to nail that.

Reply #71
[/b]

Which others claim that MPC is 100% transparent?  If you are speaking of a few people in particular, perhaps references where they made these claims would also be in order.

We'll ignore the torture clips which are artificially generated, since nothing lossy can code these (as yet), so let's just talk about "real" music (whatever that may be).

Which torture clips?  And what do you mean "nothing lossy can code these"?  A little bit more specific of a definition would help here.

This is a total misconception, and an annoying one at that.  I have not said that MPC is absolutely transparent, ever.  If you can find an example of me stating that this is the case (as in no other person on this planet can hear a difference) then please clue me in, because I sure cannot recall making such claims.

Beatles clearly disagrees - he hears a difference.

Correction.  He claims he hears a difference.  A claim which as of yet is just as unsubstantiated as VeryBlurs comments (of course no offense to anyone with that).  Are we to disregard all manners of objectivity here and simply take for granted that someone is able to hear the difference between the original and a 500kbps MPC just because they say they can?

I'm a little bit disappointed David that you would first of all totally misinterpret my stance on this (which I think you actually probably understood anyway), and are so quick to defend something which for all intents and purposes is a little bit unbelievable.  One has to wonder what circumstances would bring about such an approach as this..

They're just acoustic recordings, and mpc audibly changes them.

Again you have absolutely no basis for this.  You have not seen any proof, just as I have not.  So why are you so certain that this is the case?  Why are you so eager to come to this conclusion?

That's a change to the last bit. mpc (and every other lossy codec) is doing a LOT more than this, so surely someone must be able to detect it? Even in the absence of (what we conventionally call) artefacts.

Sure, it is possible, and even likely that someone will hear a difference somewhere.  If you got the impression from someone that MPC is as absolutely perfect as lossless encoding, then you seriously got the wrong idea.  However, the likelyhood of this happening in the circumstances given (distinguishing 500+kbps MPC with high reliability) is going to be extremely rare.

If you get them all correct, Dibrom will eat his hat (now I'm putting words into your mouth!).

Lol.. ok David.  I'm sorry but I'm only skeptical, as you all should be.  The fact that you are so willing to believe these incredible claims on word alone is in my opinion a little questionable, where as in other cases you would be taking the opposite stance totally.  Trying to turn this all back around on me somehow with the comments made here and above is simply laughable.

What I am interested in is working with something that can be measured and can be proven.  Something tangible which is actually meaningful from a developers point of view.  There is nothing useful in claims which are never substantiated in one form or another.

So far, both of the claims in this thread made in regards to MPC have not been proven and chance favors that they probably won't be (though I am not ignoring the possibility that they still might), and until they have been I will retain my high degree of skepticism.  This doesn't mean I have something personal with this issue or that I am fundamentally against anyone who makes these types of claims as apparently some are mistakenly assuming, it simply means that I favor the evidence... and so far I'm still waiting on that.

Reply #72
Beatles,

Here is another example of the quote system.

[quote ]This is a quote[/quote ]

(remove the spaces in the quote bracket to activate the tag)

Would come out looking:

This is a quote

If you want the bold effect you just do it like this:

[quote ][B ]This is a quote[/B ][/quote ]

(Of course without the spaces again)

And it will come out:

This is a quote

Hope that helps

Reply #73
Dibrom,

I was not wishing to state indisputable facts. I was merely wishing to prepare the playing field upon which Beatles will report what he hears (hopefully in blind tests). To do this in a convenient amount of time, I made generalisations.

Has anyone claimed that MPC is 100% transparent? I don't know! But to paraphrase you: "please provide ABX proof that you are really hearing a difference with MPC - no one has managed this yet". This gives the impression that MPC is near transparent, doesn't it?

The obvious argument against this is that some intentionally difficult signals (I was thinking of that string of impulses someone came up with the other week) can't be encoded by anything yet. I mentioned such signals specifically to exclude them. If they exist, then we're not talking about them here. If they don't exist, then we're still not talking about them here! Good enough?

Beatles clearly disagrees - he hears a difference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Correction. He claims he hears a difference. 

No, he hears a difference! That's how the placeabo effect works. Hearing is subjective, and currently he hears a subjective difference. Will this perceived difference vanish in a blind test? I don't know. But for now, he hears a difference.

Whether the perception is of something real or imagined, he still perceives it.

Sorry - that was unfair - that wasn't what I originally meant.

Anyway, whilst that's my rebuttal to your argument (and I'm not here to argue btw - I'm here in this thread to find out what Beatles is really hearing) it's not the reason I wrote "he hears a difference". I wrote it like that to give Beatles the benefit of the doubt. He's much more likely to come back and give us the results of any test he does if we approach him like that, rather that saying "you're probably wrong, but go and prove it anyway".

And for the record, I think he probably does hear a difference (in the sense YOU mean) - but can he ABX it reliably? We'll see (I hope!).

Finally, Dibrom, if I believed 100% that he heard a difference in the way you seem to think I was implying it, why would I be asking him to blind test? And if I seem a little more inclined to believe him, it's because I've found it's amazing what tiny difference people working in studios can detect in their own work. Some people working in recording studios are complete idiots, and shouldn't be let near half decent music. But some are passionate about what they do, and create pure magic. And (like the princess and the pea - which was brought up in another thread) they can detect seemingly infintesimally small changes to their sound. So, I wait with an open mind - what did that blind test show Beatles?

Cheers,
David.

Reply #74
I wrote it like that to give Beatles the benefit of the doubt. He's much more likely to come back and give us the results of any test he does if we approach him like that, rather that saying "you're probably wrong, but go and prove it anyway".
Well, both I and Dibrom have had very nice interesting long talk at #project_mayhem irc-channel with Beatles. We were all in perfect understanding regarding the need for ABX results, so I don't think there are any problems.

Right, Beatles?
Juha Laaksonheimo