Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some EAC questions (Read 3866 times) previous topic - next topic

Some EAC questions

Hi,

I know some these questions have been answered elsewhere but the answers were not conclusive, so...

Should I use C2 in EAC with my Lite-On LTR-52246S? I've read that this drive has 100% C2 accuracy.

Is it better to use Test & Copy with burst mode instead of Secure Mode, if its faster? Is there any down side to this?

Is there any reason why I should use one drive rather than another except for speed and the ability to read copy protected CD's?

Thanks for any info.
-dave

Some EAC questions

Reply #1
When the drive is really capable of retreiving C2 error informations, you should just use it. Do the test in EAC. It gives me much better results with badly scratched CDs, the sync errors etc. are inaudible. (Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1712). You can turn it off when the CD is OK, just to feel safe

I think Secure mode should always be used, as it is the big plus of EAC. When you use burst mode you can never be sure if the results are 100% OK. And isn't Secure mode @ ~12x reading fast enough? I use this with test & copy and rip & encode with MPC one CD in ~10 minutes.

Always use the drive that gives the best results, speed is not that important. My opinion, though.

Regards,
Sebastian

Some EAC questions

Reply #3
Hi Solarfall,

When the drive is really capable of retreiving C2 error informations, you should just use it. Do the test in EAC. It gives me much better results with badly scratched CDs, the sync errors etc. are inaudible.

I've found some CD's that are old and badly damaged that will cause secure mode to hang. Burst mode will rip them with the occasional crackle. Is there some way I can use burst mode & C2 detection to get a crackle free file? (The CD plays without any problem in my CD player).

I think Secure mode should always be used, as it is the big plus of EAC. When you use burst mode you can never be sure if the results are 100% OK. And isn't Secure mode @ ~12x reading fast enough? I use this with test & copy and rip & encode with MPC one CD in ~10 minutes.

I don't actually get ~ 12x with my drive. I think approx 6-7x is the fastest I've had so far. That's with "Drive Caches Audio", "Accurate Stream" and "Drive supports C2" all enabled.

If Secure Mode reads the data twice, then surely doing a Test & Copy with burst mode is the same thing. If the CRC doesn't match (I've found this to be quite rare) then I could rip that track with secure mode.

Always use the drive that gives the best results, speed is not that important. My opinion, though.

That makes sense but how do I know which drive gives best results? For me, if both drives result in the same wav file but one is faster, I'll use the faster. Is there something else I should be looking for though?

Thanks,
-dave

Some EAC questions

Reply #4
Should I use C2 in EAC with my Lite-On LTR-52246S?

Test it by yourself : http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac13.html

Pio,

Thanks but I've looked at this before. I figure that unless I am 100% accurate when I create the CD, I won't know how many C2 errors to expect so I won't know if my drive catches them all. Isn't it impossible to find out how accurate C2 detection is except with a CD manufactured with a known and certain number of errors?

Cheers,
-dave

Some EAC questions

Reply #5
If the blue line is flat, your drive is 100% accurate regarding the errors of your CD, whatever they are.

If your CD is scratched, get a CD polisher (DiskDoctor ?).
If your CD ROM drive gives clicks and not your CD Player, either your CD ROM don't interpolate (then run deglitch.exe), either it's not as good as your CD Player (record the CD player, or try burst mode low speed).

Some EAC questions

Reply #6
I have a Toshiba SD-M1712, too and I want to know if I should enable the Option "Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error informations". With this enabled ripping is a bit faster, but I have no idea if it is better if this option is enabled or not.

Please help

Some EAC questions

Reply #7
Same thing  :

What is C2 ? See EAC's FAQ
Is it reliable ? Use the DAEquality package to test.

We can't test your drives in your place.

Both at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

Some EAC questions

Reply #8
I'm sorry, I don't know much about burst mode as secure mode never hanged for me. Sometimes it can take a really long time, maybe you've cancelled to fast?

Hm, a drive caching audio is never good as far as I have read on that... and it is a bit slow. Drives aren't too expensive anyway, why don't get a good one?

When both results are the same, it is the best thing to use the faster one. When there are no errors reported... don't know what other things to watch out for.

@Linkin

Meiner Erfahrung nach ja, habe jetzt etwa 50 Alben perfekt damit gerippt.

English: yes

Some EAC questions

Reply #9
If I have this enabled I get a Track quality of 100% each time. After that I had it disabled an I got 99,8% on 2 Songs on the same CD.

So is there any difference if it is enabled or not?