Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wavpack hybrid correction files (Read 6684 times) previous topic - next topic

wavpack hybrid correction files

hi, ...a few questions

i'm new into wv & wvc...
Do I have to put the *.wvc in the same folder as the *.wv ? Foobar 0.9 seems to play files losslessly even if the corection files are in a subfolder. 

what about names? if I rename track01.wvc into track_01.wvc, is track01.wv still lossless? foobar displays 831 kbps

any idea?
thanks

Reply #1
hi, ...a few questions

i'm new into wv & wvc...
Do I have to put the *.wvc in the same folder as the *.wv ? Foobar 0.9 seems to play files losslessly even if the corection files are in a subfolder. 

what about names? if I rename track01.wvc into track_01.wvc, is track01.wv still lossless? foobar displays 831 kbps

any idea?
thanks
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362117"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The reason you are seeing this behavior is Foobar's database. It remembers the status of the WavPack file the first time you load it, so if you then rename/move/delete the .wvc file Foobar does not know about it.

You can use the "reload info from file" option to refresh the database. And yes, the answer is that to get lossless playback the .wvc file must be in the same folder as the .wv file, and this is checked every time you play a file so you don't have to worry about the database unless you want the get the correct info.

Reply #2
hi, ...a few questions

i'm new into wv & wvc...

any idea?
thanks

The reason you are seeing this behavior is Foobar's database. It remembers the status of the WavPack file the first time you load it, so if you then rename/move/delete the .wvc file Foobar does not know about it.

You can use the "reload info from file" option to refresh the database. And yes, the answer is that to get lossless playback the .wvc file must be in the same folder as the .wv file, and this is checked every time you play a file so you don't have to worry about the database unless you want the get the correct info.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362164"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Any chances you're thinking about a way to "tell the .wv file the path to the .wvc one"?
A custom APEv2 tag field for example?
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #3
Any chances you're thinking about a way to "tell the .wv file the path to the .wvc one"?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362380"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Nope?

Reply #4
hi, ...a few questions

i'm new into wv & wvc...

any idea?
thanks

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362164"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362380"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought about this at one point, but trying to do something that works on multiple platforms would be a pain. Also, some programs (like Foobar) want to handle finding the correction file themselves, and reading the tags for that matter. In that case, it would be completely out of my hands.

To tell the truth, I have never really been very comfortable with separated correction files. I know people do this, but I also get about one e-mail a month from someone who got a .wvc file somehow and wants to play it! I think the most logical (and safest) thing is to keep the correction file with its mate. 

Reply #5
All this somehow doesn't fit to the whole hybrid idea IMO - after all, someone who goes hybrid, has probably storage/bandwidth issues, so he wants to keep small files for everyday use, and the correction ones as a backup somewhere else in case he needs them. So, if one wants to keep them together, he can as well go completly lossless. That's also why I think that support for separate locations of WV & WVC files is a must.
Hmm, I can imagine a situation where keeping them together is useful - for example if someone serves as a releaser, he may say "download WV file first as a preview, and if you like it download WVC to have it lossless". But then again, wouldn't it be better to offer really small 32kbps OggVorbis or AAC-HE files as a preview?

Reply #6
You know, Wavpack is an awesome codec and you won't find a devolper as open to feature requests as bryant is. You can't expect him to impliment every little feature that's requested. Sometimes you have to adjust the way YOU work to fit the codec and not the other way around.

I know my opinion wasn't requested, but let's not be ungrateful for what he HAS given us.
--
Eric

Reply #7
I wasn't ungrateful anywhere in my post, I stated what I think to eventually discuss it, that's what these forums are for.
Imputing ungratefulness to posts of others is a bad way of showing gratefulness, you better find some other way.

Reply #8
I wasn't stating that you personaly were being ungrateful, but stating that something "doesn't fit to the whole hybrid idea" when he says he doesn't want to impliment a feature is a start in this direction. This forum has quite a few 'Me too' members and I don't want to see this thread turn south.

Edited for spelling correction.
--
Eric

Reply #9
The "Hybrid idea" is already extremely useful as it is, since it lets you store correction files separately from the lossy ones ("support for separate locations of WV & WVC files" is already here with lossy playback), what we're discussing here at this point is being able to take advantage of the availability of the former (.wvc) in order to playback them in conjuction with the latter (.wv) losslessly, and I do think it'd be pretty convenient, still not a crucial feature by any means.

David is indeed doing an awesome job, and I doubt anybody on this forum doubts it or thinks different.