Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless-->mp3: Log File (Read 5679 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless-->mp3: Log File

Nowadays internet is flooded with mp3's with a fake bitrate. I mean when people convert from a lower bitrate to a higher bitrate when uploading to different forums

How can I make some sort of a Convertion Log File when converting from lossless?

Reply #1
How can you prove the nature of the lossless file?

Short answer is you can not prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the music file in question is what it claims to be.

Creature of habit.

Reply #2

Short answer is you can not prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the music file in question is what it claims to be.

I can prove it with a log file or looking at the spectrogram

I'm asking if there is some sort of an option in foobar for creating log files when converting from lossless to mp3's

Reply #3

I can prove it with a log file or looking at the spectrogram

I can fake a log file and can encode @ 128 Kbps with an override on the lowpass filter.  Or I can post process lowpassed material with a harmonic exciter.
You can not prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the music file in question is what it claims to be.
IF this is your attempt you will fail.
Creature of habit.

Reply #4
Soap

I'm just asking how can I create a log file when converting to mp3 in foobar.

Reply #5
That's not what you were asking originally though, hence the answers you got which were perfectly correct in relation to the question you were asking.

Assuming that you're using a Foobar2000 preset for conversion to VBR MP3 with LAME, the only parameter being set in terms of audio quality is the -V setting. This information is already stored inside the ID3 header which you can read back by looking at the file's properties in Foobar2000, so you don't need a logfile to tell you that.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #6
How can I make some sort of a Convertion Log File when converting from lossless?

That was my original question

Assuming that you're using a Foobar2000 preset for conversion to VBR MP3 with LAME, the only parameter being set in terms of audio quality is the -V setting. This information is already stored inside the ID3 header which you can read back by looking at the file's properties in Foobar2000, so you don't need a logfile to tell you that. wink.gif

Foobar enables you to choose from the whole rang of lame parametrs. I use this parametrs:--cbr -b 320 -q 0 -m s - %d

By the way, doesn't lame include the option of creating a log file without using any software like foobar?

Reply #7
Unless you have a specific need for adding extra command-line switches, don't! At best you'll achieve nothing and at worst you'll damage encoding quality for a given bitrate. The LAME developers have spent many years optimising the available presets. What makes you think that you know better than them? 

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #8
I don't say that I know more than the developers of Lame.

--cbr -b 320 is a constan bitrate of 320 kb/s

-q 0 is the best quality

-m s is mode stereo

So --cbr -b 320 -q 0 -m s - %d are standart parametrs

Reply #9
I don't say that I know more than the developers of Lame.

--cbr -b 320 is a constan bitrate of 320 kb/s

-q 0 is the best quality

-m s is mode stereo

So --cbr -b 320 -q 0 -m s - %d are standart parametrs

-q 0 is often ignored, especially for VBR encoding.

-m s is only rarely as good as omitting the switch or using -m j. It is never better. Joint stereo is completely safe in LAME. LAME doesn't implement intensity stereo that has a bad reputation in some encoders.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #10
-q 0 is often ignored, especially for VBR encoding.

Yep. But if I omit this then the default will be -q 2 which is considered to provide less quality (although not that less, but whatever)

Frankly speaking, I don't know what joint stereo is. I think I should look it up

Thanks for replying

Reply #11
FYI: In later implementations of LAME, all values for q from 0 through 2 are internally mapped identically, so the default is the same as -q0. Joint Stereo in LAME is a lossless process that saves bits so increases quality for a given bitrate in CBR or lowers the required bitrate in VBR for the same level of quality.

As I said above, you usually either achieve nothing at all or break your encodings by fiddling.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

PS Regarding looking up what Joint Stereo is, I'd recommend that you take the word of HA members (such as Dynamic above) over anything you may read to the contrary elsewhere. Joint Stereo has existed in lossy forms in other encoders, but it is lossless in LAME.

Reply #12
Wow, this thread surely is on a fast track to Hell.  Best pirate practise and now bespoke LAME command lines.  Whoopee!

OT discussions regarding command line parameters aside, I'd like to know why a log is needed.  It sounds l33t.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #13
Wow, this thread surely is on a fast track to Hell.  Best pirate practise and now bespoke LAME command lines.  Whoopee!

OT discussions regarding command line parameters aside, I'd like to know why a log is needed.  It sounds l33t.

A log file of convertion from lossless to mp3 is needed for the same purposes as a log file for cd-rips

Reply #14
A log file of convertion from lossless to mp3 is needed for the same purposes as a log file for cd-rips

No it is not.
It would fail to tell you the important details that a cd-rip log does:
1 - Was it a secure rip.
2 - How did the extracted track match the AccurateRip database.

Both of these things are fake-able.  I don't care, because I have no motivation to lie to myself.
Your very first words were "Nowadays internet is flooded with mp3's with a fake bitrate".  This set the stage.
You clearly appear to be asking about proof for the unprovable.
If you are involved in some activity where proof of the behavior of others is desired - you've lost, as such proof is not possible.

If you can not prove the lineage of the lossless file (which I have strongly argued you can not) what is the point of attempting to prove the paternity of the lossy file?

I rather suspect you are trying to follow the (stupid) rules of some file-sharing "club", and need to be asking them what they expect, not HA.
If I am wrong in my suspicion - then you need to honestly outline exactly what you need to see and perhaps defend the why. 
Then and only then can a good solution either be reached or a convincing argument as to your folly be devised.

Short answer - Foobar2000's converter component has no logging capability.  Look elsewhere.
Creature of habit.

Reply #15

That's not true. CD rips may contain mistakes made during the physical disc reading process, so a logfile may be useful. An MP3 encoding from a CD rip will contain no errors (besides those introduced by the very nature of the encoder's psychoacoustic model, etc) unless the computer hardware running the MP3 encoder is broken or possibly the encoder has been broken by the use of additional non-recommended command-line switches.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #16
Indeed, I need a log file to prove the bitrate when uploading to a torrent-tracker. I see that there is no other use in such a thing

Slipstreem, what parametrs should I use in foobar? "--cbr -b 320 -q 0 -m j - %d" (mode joint). Is it ok?

Reply #18
I vote for this topic to be deleted (TOS #9). HA is not for pirates and their pirating questions. Thank you.