Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is FLAC to WAV using Flac Front end will have any impact on quality? (Read 4301 times) previous topic - next topic

Is FLAC to WAV using Flac Front end will have any impact on quality?

My first thread here.

I would like to know decoding FLAC to wav using FLAC front end will have any degradation in quality?

Also is there any s/w which can compare the speks of two audio files? Eg FLAC and WAV comparison of same song?

Re: Is FLAC to WAV using Flac Front end will have any impact on quality?

Reply #1
Since flac is lossless, any conversion to an uncompressed format will be perfect.

Spectrograms are good for eyeballing things, but there's no point in using a program to compare those images.

Reply #2
Also is there any s/w which can compare the speks of two audio files? Eg FLAC and WAV comparison of same song?
If you're really paranoid, you could use Audacity, import both versions (FLAC & WAV), invert one of them and then make a mixdown.
If both audio files are identical, the result will be absolute silence.

Reply #3
foobar2000 with the foo_bitcompare component can compare the FLAC and the WAVE files.

I would certainly do that verification. I've had issues about the FLAC frontend not converting successfully despite being set to verify. That was encoding, but given that I cannot trust the application to report errors, I will not trust it to catch unsuccessfully written .wav files either.

Reply #4
foobar2000 with the foo_bitcompare component can compare the FLAC and the WAVE files.

I would certainly do that verification. I've had issues about the FLAC frontend not converting successfully despite being set to verify. That was encoding, but given that I cannot trust the application to report errors, I will not trust it to catch unsuccessfully written .wav files either.

I have tried with foo_bitcompare. Here is the result

All tracks decoded fine, no differences found.

Comparing:
01 - Stayin Alive.flac"
01 - Stayin Alive.wav"
Compared 19133520 samples.
No differences in decoded data found.
Channel peaks: 0.8651123 0.8658447

Total duration processed: 7:13.867
Time elapsed: 0:29.091
14.91x realtime

Does this give assurance that its 100% identical?

Reply #6

I have tried with foo_bitcompare. Here is the result

All tracks decoded fine, no differences found.

Does this give assurance that its 100% identical?

Yes, no differences means they are identical.

Thanks a lot dear friend.

Thanks all who replied. Appreciate it