Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Please turn off the "throbbing" hyperlinks. (Read 7358 times) previous topic - next topic

Please turn off the "throbbing" hyperlinks.

Whose idea was that, honestly?  :))

Re: Please turn off the "throbbing" hyperlinks.

Reply #1
I did it to make links more visible, but apparently it's now annoying or something. Feel free to make other suggestions as to how to make links more visible to people who can't see subtle changes in color and faint underlines, which are apparently as major of a sin as the garish gray on white color scheme so many modern sites seem to be adopting.

Reply #2
Thanks, sanity has been restored. I can live with the hover effect but the constant colour switching effect when you were just reading the page was too much.

Reply #3
I did it to make links more visible, but apparently it's now annoying or something. Feel free to make other suggestions as to how to make links more visible to people who can't see subtle changes in color and faint underlines, which are apparently as major of a sin as the garish gray on white color scheme so many modern sites seem to be adopting.

Blinking *anything* on a website is a cardinal sin.  Just don't do it - ever.   If you must emphasize a link bolding using the <STRONG> tag is much better, but still not best practice.  A contrasting color with an underline that shows on hover is better practice.  People are used to that and look for it.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Reply #4
So i missed the "throbbing" i guess, but i've never had any trouble spotting links on this forum. I've been using the "be social" variant of elkarte default theme.
I just switched to the dark theme. Not sure why didn't before. Was it updated in the last year or so?
Dark theme has very visible links also.
Or am i missing something here?

Reply #5
Sorry, I never noticed what a distraction animated page elements could be. I'm already somewhat distracted and unable to properly concentrate on plain static text without animated colors. Maybe it doesn't help matters that I'm mildly dyslexic. Adding animation or other moving features doesn't seem to make it better or worse for me, until you get to so much motion that the sentences disappear before I can read them.

(FYI, the "throbbing" links were a 1 second fade to bright blue, then 1 second fade to their original color.)

Reply #6
bbc_link css display inline-block is messing up mobile view.

Reply #7
Should be fixed now.

Reply #8
Is it possible to nerf hyperlinks a bit more?

Reply #9
If it's a popcon, I love the current state of hyperlinks; no more second-guessing and hunting for them as they currently stand.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #10
And I think they are ridiculously overemphasized. But at least on desktop everything is fixable with Greasemonkey.

Reply #11
By all means, recommend actual style sheet changes to implement that don't lead to people on the forum using color=blue tags on their own links to make them stand out because nobody else can apparently tell what is and is not a link.