Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Choosing the lame competitor (Read 44334 times) previous topic - next topic

Choosing the lame competitor

Reply #25
From the bitrate table, wma quality vbr 75 might have similar issues.  Of the vbr codecs tested, it has the highest range of bitrates on an album basis.

I've noticed that with WMApro (I don't have any experience with WMA standard).
If WMA react like WMApro, using uncontrolled VBR setting for test is not a good thing in my opinion. I can only talk about classical. Here, WMApro produces very nice encoding with both VBR and VBR-2pass (=ABR). Quality is really close each other on most situation. But with some tracks, quality is simply awful with VBR, due to very low bitrate.

VBR-2pass looks safer to my ear (but it's limited to a specific experience).

Reply #26
I've uploaded two samples. For both, ABR128 sounds better than VBR75.
Note that I'm not trying to proove that ABR128 is THE best choice over VBR 75.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/21265

This topic should be split (it's my fault, sorry).

Reply #27
Not sure if a newbie like me is welcome in these sort of tests, but I gave it a whirl.  Here are my results:

Code: [Select]
                3.90.3_ap128   3.96_p128     3.96_V5as1
ATrain             4.3            3.5            4.7
BachS1007          5.0            5.0            5.0
BeautySlept        4.2            3.5            4.0
Blackwater         4.4            4.7            4.5
FloorEssence       4.1            4.6            4.6
Layla              4.1            4.5            4.7
LifeShatters       4.5            4.4            4.8
LisztBMinor        4.9            5.0            4.8
MidnightVoyage     4.0            3.5            4.4
thear1             4.8            4.4            5.0
TheSource          4.6            4.9            4.9
Waiting            2.9            3.6            4.5

zipped results

Reply #28
Not sure if a newbie like me is welcome in these sort of tests, but I gave it a whirl.  Here are my results:

Absolutely, you're welcome.  Thanks for your time and effort!

I averaged your results in:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=207659

ff123

Reply #29

OMGOMG! Welcome2U!!!!

Reply #30
Album bitrate table has been updated to show wma9 std bitrate vbr, which averages 129 kbit/s.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=207203

I'm fairly sure at this point that both mpc and vorbis are encoding a bit low at their current settings.

ff123

Reply #31
Album bitrate table has been updated to show wma9 std bitrate vbr, which averages 129 kbit/s.

I'm fairly sure at this point that both mpc and vorbis are encoding a bit low at their current settings.

ff123

For Vorbis, try q 4.25.

Reply #32

ff123

For Vorbis, try q 4.25.

Doing that now.  The last time we ran the bitrate test, q 4.25 was closest to 128 on average.

ff123

Reply #33

ff123

For Vorbis, try q 4.25.

Doing that now.  The last time we ran the bitrate test, q 4.25 was closest to 128 on average.

ff123

Cool.  Looks like Vorbis @ q 4.25 is closer to 128 kbps on average then.  Is 4.25 going to be used in the multiformat test?

Reply #34
But I noticed, as expected, that the VBR command line produced very low bitrate encoding on some quiet tracks. For extreme exemple, I've a stereo piano encoding at 59 kbps! After MP3gain process and played on my portable player, sound is crap.

It's perfectly understandable that lame VBR performs better on difficult tracks as samples tested by users here. And that's a good news. But on less immediately difficult passage, VBR is a contestable choice.

Agreed.  I've found the same thing in similiar situations with piano recordings of Bill Evans, Tashiko Akiyoshi and others.  They have bitrates of under 70 and when turned up to hear the more intimate details, they suffer greatly.  It happens to less of a degree in small groups of chamber music and jazz trios i.e. softer music with lots of space or light textures.  No doubt these types of recordings and people who listen to them are in the vast minority of users, but it should be noted that ABR is much superior to -V 5 in these situations.

Reply #35
But I noticed, as expected, that the VBR command line produced very low bitrate encoding on some quiet tracks. For extreme exemple, I've a stereo piano encoding at 59 kbps! After MP3gain process and played on my portable player, sound is crap.

It's perfectly understandable that lame VBR performs better on difficult tracks as samples tested by users here. And that's a good news. But on less immediately difficult passage, VBR is a contestable choice.

Agreed.  I've found the same thing in similiar situations with piano recordings of Bill Evans, Tashiko Akiyoshi and others.  They have bitrates of under 70 and when turned up to hear the more intimate details, they suffer greatly.  It happens to less of a degree in small groups of chamber music and jazz trios i.e. softer music with lots of space or light textures.  No doubt these types of recordings and people who listen to them are in the vast minority of users, but it should be noted that ABR is much superior to -V 5 in these situations.

This can be avoided by replaygaining the wavs first and then encoding. should throw more bits at it.

If oggenc has a --scale command you could also just apply the gain value right to the encoder instead of dithering the waves first. I do this all the time with LAME as it stops the bitrate bloat on overloud albums. Should fix the opposite problem in your case.

Reply #36

VBR is supposed to deliver higher quality, on average, than CBR at the same average bitrate.  So if we test a bunch of samples which average to 128 kbit/s, then the VBR samples which sound better than CBR because of high bitrate should outnumber the samples which sound worse because of low-bitrate.

So an ideal test would be comprised of samples which average out to 128 kbit/s, i.e., a mix of high-bitrate and low-bitrate samples.  I don't know if that's going to be the case with Roberto's test, though.

Certainly, a combination of:

a) having a test comprised of samples which average out to 128 kbit/s

and

b) being able to show that over multiple albums, the VBR codecs average out to 128 kbit/s

would quiet almost any criticism of VBR comparisons.  But I imagine it's probably quite difficult to do in practice.

ff123

Reply #37
Just one thing, for reflexion and not criticism.
I've encoded today various tracks with the VBR command line. The average bitrate is around 128 kbps (sometimes less, sometimes more). It's OK. I can't seriously test anything with the hardware setting in my disposition.
On more common tracks, same problem appears on some note extinction, or at the beginning/end of the file.

This wouldnt happen if people applied --scale right to the encoder instead of gaining afterwards. I think this is a big flaw in the rationale behind applying gain after encoding, since encoders take volume into account.

EDIT:

I was just thinking about this, and wouldn't it be great if say an encoder first calculated the replaygain value, then adjusted its bit allocation based on what would be need IF replaygain were applied (ie reduced bitrate for overloud albums, increased for quiet). This would account for the fact that even those who don't apply replaygain still tend to adjust the volume knob up and down.

Reply #38
Just one thing, for reflexion and not criticism.
I've encoded today various tracks with the VBR command line. The average bitrate is around 128 kbps (sometimes less, sometimes more). It's OK. I can't seriously test anything with the hardware setting in my disposition.
On more common tracks, same problem appears on some note extinction, or at the beginning/end of the file.

This wouldnt happen if people applied --scale right to the encoder instead of gaining afterwards. I think this is a big flaw in the rationale behind applying gain after encoding, since encoders take volume into account.

This solution would only work well for albums which are recorded with a lot of headroom built in.  With many classical albums, there is at least one loud section which eats up that headroom, and typically for classical as well, you'd want to use replaygain in album mode, not in track mode.

But yes, it could work in some situations.

ff123

Reply #39
i forgot track mode even existed, i always speak of album mode