Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Automate XLD (Read 4350 times) previous topic - next topic

Automate XLD

The wonderful XLD decoder/encoder can be set to 'automatically' rip your CDs ('Start ripping automatically' in the CD Rip tab of XLD preferences). But it isn't entirely 'hands-off'. If you're reading the CD data from the FreeDB database, for example, you'll find that a sheet frequently drops down on the main XLD encoding window asking you to select from alternative titles. You have to click to accept one alternative. Thing is, the first alternative is always (almost always?) right.

"AutomateXLD" adds very little value, except that it presses the buttons for you, accepting the first alternative from the CD database. You don't need to set XLD to rip automatically, only to start up when you load your CD (you should set the same preference in the System preferences if you're going to rip your CD library or iTunes is likely to try to rip your CD at the same time). "AutomateXLD" will press the buttons for you, leaving you only the task of loading CDs in the slot.

"MusicToFolders.sh" is a supporting (Bash) shell script for XLD and AutomateXLD. When you rip CD-after-CD you end up with a folder full of encoded music files. XLD will try to load them into the iTunes library, too, if you want (I don't, because I use "Play" from sbooth.org). But XLD dumps all of its rips in the one folder. ACK! How to tidy them up? Collect them into folders named for the CD?

"MusicToFolders.sh" will do that for you. Make sure that you have XLD set to 'Automatically save a log file' (the default). Just put the script in the directory where XLD has put all the files, fire up Terminal and make the script executable ('chmod +x'). When you run the script in the Terminal ('sh MusicToFolders.sh') it will read the XLD log files, create the necessary directories and copy the files from each CD into a directory named for the CD you ripped.

You can change the file extension on "MusicToFolders" from ".sh" to ".command" if you like to make "MusicToFolders" a double-clickable Terminal 'application'.

You can download "AutomateXLD" from here and "MusicToFolders" from here.

Of course, these are 'hacks' that I wrote for myself. You mileage may vary... Hope they're useful to you.

Peter

Automate XLD

Reply #1
Oops... I've just found that XLD Preferences include the option not to prompt if multiple candidates are found in the CD Database.

So 'AutomateXLD' is no longer useful (sigh!). I've removed the linked files

The 'MusicToFolders' scripts still work fine, however.

Automate XLD

Reply #2
I use the "Don't prompt if multiple candidates are found" in the CDDB settings but it still prompts me every time I insert a CD.
XLD is completely up to date (Version 20100926) and I'm using Mac OSX version 10.6.4 so everything should be up to date.

Can anyone please help me?