Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Normalizing to the same as 1 set track (Read 1973 times) previous topic - next topic

Normalizing to the same as 1 set track

Hi

I understand that the outcome of normalizing tracks will make them all the same volume, well peak amplitude. Is there a way that I can take a specific track and normalise all others to the same as that.

I'm trying to add sounds to a game server, I've taken out the sounds that are already there for reference but want to add custom sounds that are the same volume as the original ones.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Alex

Re: Normalizing to the same as 1 set track

Reply #1
What format are your sound files?

Reply #2
Hi Jabba

They're all in wav format.

Thanks

Alex

Reply #3
Well, there are members of this board far more technically-minded than me, but you could try using the 'Normalise' effect in Audacity: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Of course, make back-up copies of your files first, in case this doesn't provide the required result.

Reply #4
Be aware that simple normalisation of peak amplitude does NOT make tracks sound equally loud. Perceived loudness depends on other factors such as the dynamic range. As a rough guide, you could expect approximately similar perceived loudness if you were to normalise such that all the tracks have the same RMS level - not peak level.

Perhaps the easiest way to achieve what you want would be to load all the tracks into Foobar2000 and then run them through ReplayGain to find out what volume adjustment it suggests. Then take your desired reference track's level and calibrate the others against that, using linear amplitude change in whatever audio editor you like to use. For example, if ReplayGain suggests an adjustment of -3dB for your reference track, and you have another track with a ReplayGain adjustment of -5dB, then you'd need to apply an amplitude decrease of 2dB to that track to make it sound approximately as loud as the reference. But be careful of applying any positive amplitude changes - that could result in clipping.

Reply #5
but want to add custom sounds that are the same volume as the original ones.
1. In Audacity, run the Amplify effect on your reference file.   Make a note of the default Amplification, and then cancel the effect so you don't actually change anything. 

Audacity will pre-scan your file and Amplify will default to whatever change is needed (up or down) for 0dB peaks.   In other words, it tells you how much headroom you have.   For example, if Amplify  defaults to +2dB, the peak is currently -2dB and you have 2dB of headroom.

2. Open the file you want to change, run Amplify,  and enter your desired New Peak Amplitude.   (-2dB in the above example.)     Don't enter an Amplification  value.   Audacity will figure that out from the new target peak you give it.

Odds are, your existing game files are normalized to 0dB.   In that case, you can run Amplify and accept the default.

I understand that the outcome of normalizing tracks will make them all the same volume, well peak amplitude.
Right...    The peaks don't correlate well with perceived volume.    You may have to adjust by-ear, and you can't go loud enough you may need to use some limiting/compression.