Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Billy Idol - Rebel Yell (AF Gold, SH remaster) (Read 5434 times) previous topic - next topic

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell (AF Gold, SH remaster)

Hi. I am new to this site. Apologies if I have picked the wrong forum.

This is a question about sound quality and mastering, rather than the music itself.

Recently I discovered that recordings mastered by SH (are we allowed to say his name here?) are sought after because they are very good. I have long known about the loudness wars and have been fully aware of the lack of dynamic range in many recordings and even in remasters. So I was thrilled to learn that there is a list of SH mastered albums, and I was all prepared to stock up on all which matched my musical tastes.

Things soon began to turn sour, however, when I noticed the availability and pricing on most of them. Nonetheless, I found this one for only $14: "Billy Idol - Rebel Yell" (HDCD, Audio Fidelity Gold CD, SH remaster). Great, I thought. I received it today and immediately spun it up.

My first thought is: WTF?! Man this thing is very low volume. OK, so maybe it's because I am used to loudly mastered material and this one needs to be cranked up. So I crank it up. But I just don't get anything good coming out of this. To me it sounds like any other dynamically compressed rock music (except I have to turn my dial at least 10 to 15 dB higher to get the same SPL out).

So there you have my first experience with an SH master. Sounds like a dud to me.

Am I doing something wrong? I have plenty of CDs and many that sound really, really good. In fact, I have another Billy Idol album, "Charmed Life" (label: Chrysalis, mastered by: Bernie Grundman), and it sounds fantastic.

Should I give up on SH masters? Or are there some good ones out there? (The expensive ones?)

Any and all tips on finding good recordings are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply #2
Might be worth donning flame-retardant materials and heading over to the Steve Hoffman forums...

Reply #3
Roetoes, that's a really cool site!  I do wonder how those numbers are being generated and how reliable they are.  To my ears the GH3 versions of Death Magnetic, and the original sound the same when the volume is adjusted though i have not ABXed it.

Also, many of the files tested don't give a barcode for the source or even the catalog number.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #4
I don't know how reliable the values are scientifically, but they seem logical to me. At least a good indication.
All information is typed by individual users of the site. You can download it here.