Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Listening tests@256kbps (with new Atrac3plus Sony) (Read 11607 times) previous topic - next topic

Listening tests@256kbps (with new Atrac3plus Sony)

Reply #1
Good idea - I hope that you get enough meanigful results...

Why MP3 Lame 3.90.3 CBR 256kbps and not --alt-preset extreme?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #2
Much compares the Atrac3 format with the MP3. I decided to put MP3 at the same level as Atrac3+ 256kbps, therefore in simple mode CBR 256kbps

Reply #3
IMO a test like this is only useful if every participating codec is used at the best quality settings available at a given bitrate. Does anyone use lame 256kbps CBR at all? The two main problems I see with this choice are
  • It can make you appear biased towards Atrac3+ (people might ask "He didn't give lame a fair chance, maybe the samples are picked to 'generate' results too")
  • It might make people refrain from participating (like me: I regard this test as useful as it can help me to decide if I need some format besides mp3 supported when I buy my next portable. But now since comparison to mp3 is not really fair, I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend time on this)
Anyway, it looks like there's no way to change this anymore, so I wish you luck finding enough participants.

BTW: I don't want to waste your bandwith downloading the package without being sure if I participate, so could you please tell what samples are used (sorry if I've missed it)?
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #4
Much compares the Atrac3 format with the MP3. I decided to put MP3 at the same level as Atrac3+ 256kbps, therefore in simple mode CBR 256kbps

You mean you are handicapping the other codecs? What's the use of the comparison then?

Both Vorbis and MPC can use fractional quality values to get to 256kbps average bitrates.

Also why force MP3 to CBR and not Vorbis?

This just makes no sense at all...

Reply #5
I hope you get enough results.  There is a lot of testing these days.

Interestingly, I like the timing although am more interested in a comparison at 160kbps.  128kbps is pretty well understood.  The difference made by going to 160kbps is less well understood.  Do we know who the winners at 160kbps are?  Nero AAC, QT, Ogg, LAME, or maybe even.... WMA           

I've got to get some decent cans as my listening environment on my PC isn't good :-(

Salut,
Fairy

Reply #6
Even without mp3, this test should be very interesting (but very difficult, except maybe for castanets.wav). Afterall, there's also a direct comparison between MPC, Vorbis GT3 and iTunes AAC at 230-256 kbps. Lame --extreme or CBR 256 is in my opinion clearly inferior to these three challengers (too many sharpness problems, or ponctual problems with some instruments like harpsichord).

Reply #7
I am confused (nothing new).

According to the following Sony URL, Atrac3plus allows for compression at the following bitrates: 132, 105, 66, 64 or 48 kbps. There is no mention of a 256 kbps option. The software that came with my D-NF610 Sony CD player is 'SonicStage Simple Burner'. It also displays only these bitrates.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/3137

How does one get a hold of SonicStage 2.0?

- Scott

Reply #9
Atrac3plus@256 kbps is a new mode (available with Hi-MD device and SonicStage 2).

Thanks.

Would my Sony player be able to decode this?

- Scott

Reply #10
IMO a test like this is only useful if every participating codec is used at the best quality settings available at a given bitrate. Does anyone use lame 256kbps CBR at all? The two main problems I see with this choice are
  • It can make you appear biased towards Atrac3+ (people might ask "He didn't give lame a fair chance, maybe the samples are picked to 'generate' results too")
  • It might make people refrain from participating (like me: I regard this test as useful as it can help me to decide if I need some format besides mp3 supported when I buy my next portable. But now since comparison to mp3 is not really fair, I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend time on this)
Anyway, it looks like there's no way to change this anymore, so I wish you luck finding enough participants.

It's true , I did not considering the things in this way.  Sorry for this choice... 

BTW: I don't want to waste your bandwith downloading the package without being sure if I participate, so could you please tell what samples are used (sorry if I've missed it)?

Sample 01 >> Bachelorette
Sample 02 >> Rednex
Sample 03 >> Castanets
Sample 04 >> Timbaland
Sample 05 >> Nirvana (live)
Sample 06 >> CanonPachelbel
Sample 07 >> Velvet
Sample 08 >> Gone
Sample 09 >> Death2
Sample 10 >> Layla
Sample 11 >> Don't Care
Sample 12 >> BigYellow

Reply #11
Wow! A test without Waiting.

That's quite some novelty around here

Reply #12
Is it too late to change to lame ABR instead of CBR? How many participants have you had?

Cheers,
David.

Reply #13
Maybe. For moment I didn't receive answers but I know there are 3 people who already downloaded the samples.

Reply #14
Sample 10 seems 2 b corrupt.

Reply #15
I'd take part if u changed the lame settings though I am not very experienced in ABXing.. 

Reply #16
Isn't MPC Quality 8 more like 256kbps ?
In any case it would be quite humiliating if ATRAC3+ is not transparent at such a high bitrate.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #17
Has there been any progress on this test?

I am interested in these new Hi-MD units, and I am curious about the quality of ATRAC3plus.

I suppose it seems promising if you believe the Sony hype about the quality...

256kbps seems more than enough for transparency though...

I always thought the 292k mode of the original ATRAC was good enough for portable listening (running, in the car, on a train, on a plane, etc.)