Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ID3 comments inserting spacing (Read 2839 times) previous topic - next topic

ID3 comments inserting spacing

I am editing some MP3 tags in ITUNES and want to insert comments in 4 line increments like this:

Aaaaaaaaa

Bbbbbbbb

CCCccc

Ddddddd

The only way to do this is copy and paste because enter SAVES the get info screen.

Also in Mac it displays as is but in windows Itunes the above will display as

Aaaaaaaaa Bbbbbbbbb Cccccc Dddddddd  in one line.

I know this is partly an Itunes question but I have tried other editors with the same result in spacing.
Why the difference between mac and windows?

Any suggestions?

Reply #1
One possibility could be the different characters used to mean "new line" in mac versus windows (versus unix/linux).

Windows = CR LF  (both need to be present)
Unix, Mac OS X = LF
Older Mac OS = CR

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline )

Reply #2
The only way to do this is copy and paste because enter SAVES the get info screen.

Try Shift+Enter to give you a new line, or if that doesn't work try Control+Enter or Alt+Enter. Unfortunately that won't fix the new line problem....

Reply #3
It certainly sounds like a character encoding issue, specifically the issue with the newlines.

I haven't owned an Apple since the late 90s, but my understanding is that OS X will display Windows-style newlines correctly. If that's the case, you could try tagging a file in Windows then checking that it displays correctly in Mac OS.

Another option might be to use a different program for tagging. I use foobar2000, but that's only on Windows currently and I've never checked how it handles newlines.