Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Opera7 display bug (Read 7408 times) previous topic - next topic

Opera7 display bug

I'm using Opera7 beta2 and the text in the lastest news boxes on the front page does not show. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm not sure whether this is a browser problem which will be resolved by the next beta [i've never noticed anything similar elsewhere], or with the site, but it would be nice i it could be ironed out

Opera7 display bug

Reply #1
I'm guessing that it's Opera 7 bug. Beta1 was practically alpha... And beta2 has lots of problems also (read the opera.beta newsgroup from news.opera.no -newsserver)
Juha Laaksonheimo

Opera7 display bug

Reply #2
Opera is nifty and all but even the final versions of 5 and 6 had major HTML rendering problems. That is part of the reason I ditched opera in favor of Mozilla and phoenix. Not that they do not have their problems. It's just that they get updated more regularly to fix many of those problems.

Opera7 display bug

Reply #3
Neo Neko: True. I like Phoenix especially, i just can't live without decent mouse gestures  Back/forward icons are so clumsy by comparison.

Anyway, i guess i'll just wait for the next beta...

Opera7 display bug

Reply #4
I'm using Opera7 beta2 and the text in the lastest news boxes on the front page does not show.

me too

Opera7 display bug

Reply #5
What you don't like optimoz? It works for Mozilla and Phoenix and does all the important stuff opera does. Maybe more. Plus the tabbed browsing is there if you like and then some.

Opera7 display bug

Reply #6
Neo Neko: True. I like Phoenix especially, i just can't live without decent mouse gestures  Back/forward icons are so clumsy by comparison.

Anyway, i guess i'll just wait for the next beta...

But you can download plugin to have gestures... you know that?

You can find this here http://texturizer.net/phoenix/extensions.html

Opera7 display bug

Reply #7
Opera is nifty and all but even the final versions of 5 and 6 had major HTML rendering problems. That is part of the reason I ditched opera in favor of Mozilla and phoenix. Not that they do not have their problems. It's just that they get updated more regularly to fix many of those problems.

Opera6 could render well, but it lacked some new standards.

Opera7 renders almost anything, but opera is very strict with html, meaning that if the html code sucks, the page won't render correctly.

But still, Opera7 is pretty much buggy..

IMO Opera7 is the best browsers. It offers more options than any other browser around.
The new integrated mail/news client is sweet.. i can't wait until it's final!

Note: The skinning system looks cute too...

Opera7 display bug

Reply #8
i don't have anything against opera, but whats the use in using shareware when there is a standard compliant, open source browser like phoenix ?

Opera7 display bug

Reply #9
I'm using Opera7 beta2 and the text in the lastest news boxes on the front page does not show. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm having the same issue.  Would be nice to know if this board has an HTML error or if it is a bug in Opera.  Since its still Beta I'll assume Opera is the issue unless anyone knows otherwise.

I don't find Opera to be buggy in general.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Opera7 display bug

Reply #10
hm i like opera and mozilla too but there's nothing about them that IE cannot do. IE works perfect for all sites, maybe because they have been developed for IE but in the end it simply works with IE. and i think it supports also the most things. and it's also fast and not to memory hungry.

i find IE the best program of microsoft. and it's also for free

sure it's not good if somebody has a monopol but i still prefer it

Opera7 display bug

Reply #11
why do you prefer speed and low memory usage, well the whole html engine is loaded into memory every time you boot  , over HTML compliance and more features like tabbed browsing, mouse gestures and other useful gimmicks ?

Opera7 display bug

Reply #13
hm i like opera and mozilla too but there's nothing about them that IE cannot do. IE works perfect for all sites, maybe because they have been developed for IE but in the end it simply works with IE. and i think it supports also the most things. and it's also fast and not to memory hungry.

i find IE the best program of microsoft. and it's also for free

sure it's not good if somebody has a monopol but i still prefer it

IE can't render CSS properly
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/comp...piral/demo.html

101 Reasons why Mozilla is better
http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

Especially for pr0n
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/aufbau01/features.html
http://www.[insert xxx/warez site with lots of popups].com

Opera7 display bug

Reply #14
Opera 7 may have been a better browser, but as far as I am concerned, the user interface has worsened severely.. its a tad terrible looking and hard to use now..

Phoenix and Mozilla are great, but still contain too much show stopping bugs to be used exclusively though.. This is especially true with the recent nightlies..

Opera7 display bug

Reply #15
i don't have anything against opera, but whats the use in using shareware when there is a standard compliant, open source browser like phoenix ?

Off topic:
Because there are those of us who registered/purchased Opera.

Opera7 display bug

Reply #16
well the question doesn't change then  Maybe a little, why did you pay for something when there is something better ?

Opera7 display bug

Reply #17
why did you pay for something when there is something better ?

Off topic:

The most valid reason:
* I was a Netscape user back in the 4.7x days and an IE user back int the 5.x days I needed a stable browser that wouldn't lock up Win98, and Opera did just that.

More reasons:
* In Opera click File > Delete Private Data.
I don't have to go cleaning up after the browser looking for .HST files, or boot into DOS to delete the ever-growing MSIE Index.dat files. I realize that other browsers have the ability to delete the cache, but its just not as speedy as two clicks away and its deleted.

* The exectuble application loads fast -- similiar to MSIE.

* I like the bookmark feature, which can actually be edited in a text editor.

Opera7 display bug

Reply #18
Phoenix is great and all, but or me it hasn't supplanted Opera (almost but not quite). Here's why:

1. The mouse gestures plugin for Phoenix is quite bad - it uses the lefthand mouse button, so that whenever you select anything it is activated. By contrast Opera has loads of 'drag' and 'click' gestures.

2. I can't get the hang of the tabs in phoenix - still maybe that's just me

3. Hotlist (=favourites=bookmarks) is much better, with a side display and quick search

4. Hotlist panels to display small web/wap pages at the side, v useful for news/weather etc

5. Toolbars are completely drag and drop configurable with buttons, search boxes etc.

6. Very stable - beta2 hasn't crashed for me yet.

7. Continuous browsing - you can start up where you left off

Having said that Phoenix is great for a simple browser, with its speed (~Opera) and compatibility. I use it whenever Opera doesn't work. I'd still like to know whether some ie-only code has crept into the portal page that Opera's being picky about, or whether it is actually an Opera bug.

[edit: added point 7]

Opera7 display bug

Reply #19
- superios mouse gestures engine. Besides, the most important ones for me are the ones for back and forward, done with leftclick+rightclick or the other way around. I don't really like the rest too much, click and drag doesn't work well with a trackball. But the ones for back and forward are ingenious.

- the zoom can zoom text and pictures from 10% to 1000% or whatever. Love it. Sometimes I like to lie down or sit far away from the monitor, and that's when it becomes incredibly useful to zoom up 200% or 400% or whatever. And ocassionally, you really need to change the zoom on some pages just to make them look readable.

- a status bar is only needed when a page loads.. so cleverly enough, opera only shows one (if you have configured it that way) when a page is loading.. the other functionality a status
bar provides, to show the URLS behind links, opera can do through tooltips.

- You can place the different bars on whatever side of the screen you wish, and the elements/buttons can be added and removed as you wish. Even more customizabilty comes from the fact that opera has ini-files you can edit to even change the menus and stuff to whatever you wish..

- can type "g keyword" to do a google search, "r keyword" to do a google groups search etc.. EXTREMELY handy..

- can place different search bars where ever you want. Some think these are fixed, but no, you can edit the ini's if you're not satisfied with the selection that opera comes with.

- I don't have any on-screen adress bar.. I prefer to just press f2 before typing the URL. Don't think phoenix even has such functionality, and in moz I recall having to press ctrl+shift+o or some other insane combination like that.- popup blocker that IE lacks.

- you can identify yourself as whatever browser.. stupid, but actually needed on some sites

- an auto-reload function where you can set the page to reload on a given interval. Handy on slashdot and even forums like this one.

- an ingenious new mail and news client

- hotlist-functionality that easily beats moz's sidebar-stuff.

- Tabbed browsing.. okay, moz has this too, but I'm not sure how you change between windows? In opera it's very simple press 1 or 2 to swtich back and forth between windows gotta love it.

- The gui is skinnable.. it also skins the top menu (that is btw accesible by screenreaders)

- you can quickly change between author made and user mode.. in other words, quickly apply whatever stylesheet you wish to a page.. a dozen are included.. really handy for those pages that are not readable because of the colours (like lime on green / pink on black / black on some dark picture etc).

- really simple password manager

- good download manager.. has a little more functionality than moz's.. the worst thing with the moz one is that it looks like a stupiid linux-thingy last i tried you couldn't doubleclick on a file to access it, but had to press toolbarbutton.. that's NOT good UI-design.

- colour schemes.. don't like the colour of the skin? make it red! make it green! whatever.. if the default ones are not fine, you can input a html colour code.

- scroll bars can be turned on or off. Also, find-functionality can be in-line.

There are the big things that make the difference for me, when choosing between opera, IE and moz-based browsers. The other big thing is the look and feel.. I'm sorry, but moz doesn't cut it.. first of all, it doesn't fit in quite properly with windows.. almost, but not quite.. I think for many users a consistent look is imporant.. and I mean, my windowblinds skin doesn't even look proper with moz/pheonix!! More importantly perhaps, it feels slow.. unresponsive.. the best word would probably be bloated.. okay, first off it loads very slowly.. but that doesn't bother me.. the UI just feels slow, that's it.. now some like to call IE bloated, but for me at least, on my duron 700, IE feels lightning fast.. and opera of course has really good look and feel characteristics.. it is lightning fast in many regards, light-weight, fits in perfectly, and can look quite good.

I don't know.. but for me, all that I mention, is quite easily worth the price for opera.. I mean for chris' sakes do you know how many hours I spend browsing the internet.. how could it NOT be wise for me to have bought opera.. I have tried mozilla, and pheonix MANY times.. not because I got tired of opera or anything, but just to see if there have been any improvements over the months.. well.. new features seem to be added all the time.. and lots of bug-fixing.. but.. it still cannot come close to do what opera does for me.. and on top of that the look & feel is all wrong.. for me at least.. you linux-types will have no problems I'm sure

Good things about mozilla? Well, I must admit it renders some pages better than opera.. and I like the fact that you in regular mozilla (in pheonix too?), can get notified when a bookmark site is updated.. other than that, not much else.. yes, mozilla does have some features opera does not too.. like the ability to block graphix from certain web sites.. but how could i care for that, I don't F'in have time to block banners and whatever, it's actually less bothersome for me to just ignore them.

EDIT: no offense to linux or even mozilla, really.. even though they are not for me, and I dislike to use them, I _do_ like that they are by people for people, and that many actually like and use such products.. microsoft's domination IS scary after all, so how could you _not_ like linux.. difference between like and like to use in this case.

Opera7 display bug

Reply #21
Yet Another Opera 7.01 display related bug - polls are scrunched to the left, meaning that the whole poll and text is compressed into something like 1/5 of the available horizontal space. Reproducible on all polls.

Opera7 display bug

Reply #22
Apparently, Opera 7 re-introduced several rendering flaws from older versions that were already fixed in Opera 6.
I wonder what goes on there...

Opera7 display bug

Reply #23

Shift+Control+Click to open pages in the background.

One feature that I can't live without, and no other browser has it.

Opera7 display bug

Reply #24
Shift+Control+Click to open pages in the background.

Phoenix does have that, actually.    *pets*

(and of course there's a mouse gesture for opening in the background as well)
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.