Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Downmix/transcode 5.1 FLAC to Stereo FLAC on a Mac (Read 7819 times) previous topic - next topic

Downmix/transcode 5.1 FLAC to Stereo FLAC on a Mac

Hello,

I have some audio files in FLAC format that have 5.1 channels. While I want these files for archival purpose, in day-to-day use I would prefer to have normal stereo AAC files, as they will play on a wider range of devices. Is there an easy way to convert a 5.1 channel FLAC to a stereo FLAC or stereo AAC? (I can already convert 5.1 FLAC to 5.1 AAC using XLD.) I'm using a Mac.

Many thanks for any help,
Jolin

Reply #2
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the links and information. I should have said that I'm looking for a free solution. I don't often (have the opportunity to) buy 5.1 FLACs, so can't really justify spending $75 just to convert a few files. Your downmixer plug-in looks perfect, but is there any free software that can host VST or AU plugins?

Thanks again,
Jolin

Reply #3
There's a fully working 30 day demo on TwistedWave, so that should get you going, and Bidule is also featuring a fully working demo but with a deadline set by an update of the software. The next deadline is middle-February I think, so you would be also OK with that for a week or so.

- Daniel

Reply #4
I make a 5.1 downmixer plug-in that will work in various VST and AU hosts. Since your files are FLAC, I would suggest Plogue Bidule or TwistedWave as host.
- Daniel

Just had a look at your page and I don't understand what to download? Downloaded most links but couldn't find any downmixer plugin. Btw, do you know if your plugin supports Garageband and/or Audacity?

Thanks.

Reply #5
Just had a look at your page and I don't understand what to download? Downloaded most links but couldn't find any downmixer plugin. Btw, do you know if your plugin supports Garageband and/or Audacity?

Thanks.

Have a look at sox. It will do any audio manipulation and is really worth learning a bit.

E.g. http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-163630.html , remix parameters (contributions of each of the 6 input channels into the left/right output channel) for various dolby methods are at the bottom.