Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .cue file filtering (Read 3705 times) previous topic - next topic

.cue file filtering

Trouble with cues is that lots of them have an incorrect FILE line, often the file extension is going to be written as .wav in cue, when in fact the file itself is .flac. Unfortunately, foobar doesn't bother trying to search for different extensions of the same filename or even just load the largest audio file in the folder. You have to correct this thing manually and it gets old real quick.

Years ago when I used Winamp there was this cue plug-in that actually read cues with incorrect FILE line, so it's very much doable and probably real easy to program. As I've said, when the cue plug-in fails to locate the file it should search the folder for the same filename, but with a different extension (flac, ape, wv, etc.) and load it, if that fails, it should load the largest audio file available in the folder.

.cue file filtering

Reply #1
You could just use a program called F.A.R.T to batch fix your broken .cue files.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

.cue file filtering

Reply #2
When I rip my music I always get proper cue sheets with the correct file extension. How do you produce your rips where you get incorrect cues? Nowadays I mainly even embed the cue sheets so I don't need external ones.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

.cue file filtering

Reply #3
He probably has CUE files that reference the original WAV file(s) and not the actual compressed result.

.cue file filtering

Reply #4
Back when I still used EAC to rip I recall it was quite easy to have EAC to produce cues that pointed to the compressed file. Nowadays I'm ripping with foobar2000, and have it embed the cue to the resulting file, so it's even easier. So basically what I'm saying is, from now on rip your files with a cue sheet that points to the compressed file so you don't have to manually change the cue file.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

.cue file filtering

Reply #5
He probably has CUE files that reference the original WAV file(s) and not the actual compressed result.

Yes.

I do realize you can change the .cue file, but that's not what I want to do. As I've said, my goal is to find a foobar cue plugin (or appeal to someone who can program such a plugin, 'cause it's probably really easy to make) that will automatically search for either audio files with different extension (but with the same filename as referenced in .cue) or search for the largest audio file in the folder and load that file. Again, there was such a plugin for Winamp back in the day, so it's very doable.

.cue file filtering

Reply #6
When I drag a folder containing CUE+IMAGE into my foobar2000 playlist viewer, and then fb2k reports an error, it is EXACTLY what I want.
I do not want foobar2000 to mask anything. I do not want foobar2000 to search and replace anything. I want to know about the exact state of my filesystem. In these "CUE reading error" cases, I right click and go to the containing folder and edit the CUE sheet. if ones long term goal is a perfect filesystem and perfect tags, this is not achievable if one uses "filtering programs and plugins".

.cue file filtering

Reply #7
When I drag a folder containing CUE+IMAGE into my foobar2000 playlist viewer, and then fb2k reports an error, it is EXACTLY what I want.
I do not want foobar2000 to mask anything. I do not want foobar2000 to search and replace anything. I want to know about the exact state of my filesystem. In these "CUE reading error" cases, I right click and go to the containing folder and edit the CUE sheet. if ones long term goal is a perfect filesystem and perfect tags, this is not achievable if one uses "filtering programs and plugins".

You do realize that this potential feature could be optional, right? You go to the options menu, tick a box and voila.

.cue file filtering

Reply #8
fb2k doesn't add unnecessary optional features.

There are clearly two routes for handling these issues, fb2k has chosen a different one than you would like. Thank you for weighing in, but this is unlikely to change any time soon.

If you are unable to fix your CUE files because you are seeding them with p2p software, that is clearly not a fb2k problem.
elevatorladylevitateme

.cue file filtering

Reply #10
fb2k doesn't add unnecessary optional features.

You did see me mentioning the word plug-in? Not to mention that perhaps somebody already made this kind of plug-in and it's just really obscure or something.

that is clearly not a fb2k problem

Never said it was. I would've made the topic in the Development if I thought it was a crucial thing that needs to be addressed immediately. It's not, obviously.

the foobar2000 SDK is here - http://www.foobar2000.org/SDK

have fun. 

So damn kind of you. But seriously though, while I know very little about programming, shouldn't this kind of thing require just a couple of lines in an already established cue reader plug-in code? Something like that:

if filename not found then;
search for filename in the same folder with extensions .flac .ape .ogg .wv .mp3;
if filename still not found, locate and load the largest audio file in the folder;