Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame extreme command line for EAC ? (Read 12465 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame extreme command line for EAC ?

Hi

I'm currently rebuilding a system, but stupidly forgot to keep the command line for the Lame Extreme preset.

Can anyone give me it, so I can just paste in to the External Compression commandline field ?

EAC 0.99 prebeta 5
Lame 3.98.2

thanks

Reply #1
Hmm . I've tried inserting this into the default command line:

%l-V 5%l%h-V 2%h -V0 --vbr-new %s %d

Still encoding at 320.

Not really sure what I'm doing here I'm afraid ... 

Reply #3
After dedicating 5 seconds to a search in HA:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame

--preset extreme or -V 0 (identical) is what you want

Thanks

Yes I know that, but I'm not particularly skillful at commandline stuff.

Where exactly do i put "-V 0"

As you can see, I tried to put it just behind the vbr-new bit, but didn't work.

Should I keep the preceding commands ("%l-V 5%l%h-V 2%h") etc. ?

I'd be really grateful if someone could just post the exact commandline that I can just paste into the EAC field.

thanks again

Reply #4
Code: [Select]
-V 0 %s %d

Reply #5
Code: [Select]
-V 0 %s %d

thanks

I've now tried:

"%l-V 5%l%h-V 2%h --vbr-new -V 0 %s %d"

Still 320kbs (reported in FB2K).

Apologies for being thick here, but any further advice ?

Reply #6
Just put -V 0 %s %d in the command line.  Nothing more, nothing less.  That just worked for me with the latest version of EAC and Lame 3.98.2.

Reply #7
Just put -V 0 %s %d in the command line.  Nothing more, nothing less.  That just worked for me with the latest version of EAC and Lame 3.98.2.

Thanks

That seems to give more realistic results - although the average bitrate in FB2K is around 280, which is higher than I used to get with Extreme preset.

What does the default EAC commandline do then (%l-V 5%l%h-V 2%h --vbr-new) ?

PS I'm shocked by how much quicker this (now relatively old) E6600 is compared to retired P4 3.06 - CD extracted/compressed in no time at all !

Reply #8
That seems to give more realistic results - although the average bitrate in FB2K is around 280, which is higher than I used to get with Extreme preset.

Could it be earlier you used an older Lame version? V 0 = extreme preset and 280 kbps is rather normal for some music genres encoded with Lame v3.98.2.

Reply #9

Could it be earlier you used an older Lame version? V 0 = extreme preset and 280 kbps is rather normal for some music genres encoded with Lame v3.98.2.

Yes I was - average kbps was about 225. So the bitrate for this "preset" has increased then ?

Reply #10
Average is on non-HF noisey content. Try -V0 -Y
This will change HF behaviour for freq > 16khz

Also 3.98 vbr new produces larger files for some presets.

Reply #11
Yes I was - average kbps was about 225.

For the same album?

Reply #12
Yes I was - average kbps was about 225.

For the same album?

No

But the average kbps for an album (rock / electronica) before was always around 220-240

I also download stuff encoded at Lame Extreme (with older version of Lame) - these also come out at about 220-240.

Never 280

Reply #13
I also download stuff encoded at Lame Extreme (with older version of Lame) - these also come out at about 220-240.

Can you tell exact LAME version and parameters?

Reply #14

Can you tell exact LAME version and parameters?

Not really - it's AllofMP3 live online encoding and they don't state the exact version of Lame. Many options, but I've always used their Lame Extreme mode (stated as "approx 240 kbps - and this is indeed what I get, not approx. 280).

Reply #16
@Bodhi

--vbr-new is obsolete with LAME 3.98 and above.
lame -V 0

Reply #17
Thank you!

Reply #18
Hello again

I am trying to set up the latest version of EAC (again) on my Win XP / 7 computers.

I can't get that command line to work for Extreme preset - every time I try to close the compression options window it says there is an error !

Can someone advise please ?

thanks

Reply #19
There are new placeholders in EAC:

-V0 %source% will work, or:

-V0+ %source% if using "extended" LAME 3.99.5z.

Be sure to click "Add ID3 tag" box.