Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gap problem in MPC (Read 6552 times) previous topic - next topic

Gap problem in MPC

A 'blip' is heard in the change from track 1 to 2. The album is 'the kick inside' by Kate Bush. Problem affects foobar 8.2, winamp 5.x, mppenc 1.14 / 1.15r q5-10. No problem with mp3 and vorbis.

Can other please confirm.

thanks.

1st attachment = t1.flac

2nd                = t2.flac

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #1
Yes. I got a minor 'click' between the tracks thats not in the original flacs using mppenc 1.14b, "--xlevel --quality 5 - %d", fb2k 0.8.2, XPsp1.

Won't bother to check more settings/progs now, since I'm going off to bed, prolly others will help you test more exhaustively --- but if this is for real it's a minor blow to musepack, since it's known as one of the "naturally gapless" codecs......

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #3
Pio2001 also reported this behavior in the following thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=179277

LAME, MusePack, AAC and WMA Standard seem to suffer from this problem, while Vorbis and WMA Professional not.

Sorry. Now also tested with:

FAAC (1.24+) "-w -q 100 -c 16000 - -o %d"
OGGENC (2.3 GT3b2) "-q5 - -o %d"
LAME (3.90.3) "--alt-preset standard - %d"
- All encoded with fb2k CLI and played back with same (0.8.2 on XPsp1)

But... MPC are the only affected codec of these on this particular sample.
At least I cannot hear any glitches in mp3 or mp4.

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #4
a maybe stupid question which i asked myself multiple times, when encountering gapless problems:

If a codec uses VBR, why couldn't it just switch to maximum bitrate for the first 0.1sec and last 0.1sec of a track? I mean, pushing maximum bitrate for such a short amount of time wouldn't increase the average bitrate much.

Or wouldn't this change anything to gapless-problems?
- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #5
shadowking, I don't see t2.flac attached, so I can't check this. I have the same album and there's no click between the tracks. Which program did you use to rip?
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #7
Specificaly EAC 0.95 pb5

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #8
I found t2.flac.

My test:

Decode FLACs using FLAC.exe -d. Encode using mppenc. No clicks.

Decode both FLAC files to WAV using foobar2k 0.8.2 (PCM, fixed-point) and encode both using "mppenc --xlevel --verbose t1.wav/t2.wav" (mppenc 1.15r). No clicks during playback.

Decode FLACs to WAV using "Legacy 0.7 output support : Musepack", no clicks.

Convert to MPC using foo_clienc (Commandline Encoder : MPC --standard), *click*.

One more thread where people jump to conclusions about a format without checking the problem properly first.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #9
Well I have no conclusions that's why I posted.

More tests:

Cdex to mpc 1.15r = click

Eac to Wav to mpc using fb2k 0.8.2 = click

Eac to mpc 1.14 = no click

I don't get this at all. Well its good to know that one combo is gapless.

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #10
eac to Wav to mpc 1.15r using multi frontend = no click

Fb2k 0.8.2 is the strange cause ??

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #11
Changing the default foobar BPS from 24 to 16 solved this sample for me...

Gap problem in MPC

Reply #12
This problem can appear with any lossy codec. Since it is lossy, the encoding of the end of track 1 can differ from the encoding of the beginning of track 2, leading to a step when the two files are played gaplessly.
The solution would be to store losslessy the first and last 50 ms of any track (50 ms being the period of a 20 Hz wave), and to perform a crossfade between the lossy version and the lossless one during these 50 ms, so that the first and last sample of all tracks are unchanged.