Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Don't buy copy protected audio CDs" (Read 25314 times) previous topic - next topic

"Don't buy copy protected audio CDs"

Reply #75
About Watermarks
I'd rather have a watermarked CD than a copy protected one.  Is there software to read and decipher the watermark?  I think that watermarking makes a heck of a lot more sense than copy protecting, but of course, the problem is that it needs to be unique on each single CD, and the watermark needs to be registered to each individual.  That's a little complicated to implement.

The Effectiveness of *not* Buying copy protected CDs
In lieu of simply not buying CDs, and instead pirating ones that are copy protected, perhaps it would be a good addition to also communicate this to someone in charge.  Does anyone have a phone or e-mail list for the major labels where a complaint can be registered?  What about petitions?

About people who say that they just return their CDs that they can't use, it appears that here in Canada, retailers, by law, cannot accept returns of used copyable media (CD-Roms, diskettes, Audio CDs, etc.)  I wonder if that strategy would work here.

Reply #76
About Watermarks
I'd rather have a watermarked CD than a copy protected one.  Is there software to read and decipher the watermark?  I think that watermarking makes a heck of a lot more sense than copy protecting, but of course, the problem is that it needs to be unique on each single CD, and the watermark needs to be registered to each individual.  That's a little complicated to implement.

Clearly there is software to read the watermark, otherwise it is useless.
Unique watermarks are more practical on print-to-order labels like magnatune or the old mp3.com.  Your id (or at least credit card) is already known by the time the CD is printed.  Who knows, retail music stores may end up that way.

The critical question is whether software exists to strip or alter a watermark.

About people who say that they just return their CDs that they can't use, it appears that here in Canada, retailers, by law, cannot accept returns of used copyable media (CD-Roms, diskettes, Audio CDs, etc.)  I wonder if that strategy would work here.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379179"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Copy protected CD's by definition (if not practice) are not copyable, so are they returnable?

Reply #77
Copy protected CD's by definition (if not practice) are not copyable, so are they returnable?

Hrm... good point!  I guess that would make it permissable to return them!

Reply #78
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=379179"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you can't use it, it is not "used" ! Does the law allow selling things that don't work ?