Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Don't buy copy protected audio CDs" (Read 25314 times) previous topic - next topic

"Don't buy copy protected audio CDs"

[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][EDIT]Thread split from here[/EDIT][/span]

I would encourage Andre to do the same, the Music industry is too keen to use chilling tactics and for the most part they work, but a stand has to be made.

There is one very simple tactics you can use as a customer ... if you see a copy protected audio disc (avoiding the term "Audio CD" here on purpose), do not buy that piece of crap.

The only language that the executives of all companies understand is money ... the customer spends that money on products so he/she has the final word ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #1
There is one very simple tactics you can use as a customer ... if you see a copy protected audio disc (avoiding the term "Audio CD" here on purpose), do not buy that piece of crap.

The only language that the executives of all companies understand is money ... the customer spends that money on products so he/she has the final word ...

What about must-buy stuff?

There are at least two copy-protected CDs in my country that I could have not lived without.

Not buying them was a no-option for me.

Downloading?
Buying the bootlegged copy?
I still like to own CDs.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #2

There's no such thing as must-buy stuff 

If you balance the pros and cons, and even knowing you're supporting that kind of practice (CD protection) you really think you should buy them...Go ahead

But the truth is that as long as people accept and buy copy-protected CDs, they will not only keep being produced, but those protections will spread to more and more CDs... If you don't agree with copy-protection, maybe you should think about it and make a statement, stop buying those CDs

You can't have it both ways...

(Notice I'm not telling you what to do as I don't really care and it is none of my business, it’s just a personal opinion...)

Now isn't this a bit off-topic? The guy just asked for an open source cd ripper, and everyone talked about everything except that single question

edit: forgot to quote

Reply #3
I never buy Audio CD's because they're made of plastic and plastic is made of oil which is starting to run low..Overburning a CD beyond its maximum capacity is acceptable though, that way none of the oil gets wasted. So I really just borrow CD's (from friends and the library) and rip them. I suggest you do the same with your must-buy albums.

Reply #4

There are at least two copy-protected CDs in my country that I could have not lived without.

Try it - you'll be amazed to find that you won't die!

As a serious point: find somewhere in the world where the release isn't copy protected, and get it from there.

Or buy a CD player that won't play copy protected CDs. Then you can return them to the manufacturer and say honestly "it doesn't play on my CD player". See what they do.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5

Yes, there is.

Maybe not objectively, but subjectively... hell yes! I certainly understand AtaqueEG. Maybe other people simply don't care as much about some music as we do.

But the truth is that as long as people accept and buy copy-protected CDs, they will not only keep being produced, but those protections will spread to more and more CDs... If you don't agree with copy-protection, maybe you should think about it and make a statement, stop buying those CDs

That might have worked if piracy wasn't running rampant as it is now. If everybody who is opposed to copy protection stops buying CDs, the RIAA would attribute the drop in sales to increasing piracy, and they would lobby the government to be able to use even more draconian measures against illegal downloading and copying. They could use the drop in sales to justify it. Quite the opposite of what we want.

I don't think anybody is going to benefit from a boycott. The most important thing we can do against it is spread awareness of how evil copy protections are.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #6

Do you really believe I would survive without my Floyd? :B

(Of course, thankfully, all my Floyd CDs are unprotected)

Reply #7

Do you really believe I would survive without my Floyd? :B

(Of course, thankfully, all my Floyd CDs are unprotected)

Same thing counts for my Steely Dan collection *big grin here*, for my Dire Straist collection, for every Jazz CD, every classical piece of work, latin american music etc.

As a reminder, sometimes the artists themselves become overly greedy and vote for TOC manipulation ... so from my point of view, they really have to be punished for that.

And if you search online stores around the world, you might find non-protected albums that are protected in your country ... all you need is a credit card and some patience ...

Reply #8
LISTEN UP I HAVE THE ANSWER...

go to www.slysoft.com and download AnyDVD (I know DVD!) try it, tick the box that says remove the copy protection from CDs, try it with some copy protected CDs and laugh!!!!  All of mine can be ripped now.

If you like it buy it and support the continued development.

I used to have to burn a copy with Blindwrite and then rip it but this is a lot faster, seamless it just sits there hiding the Extras and fixing the TOC!

Wonderful!

Love,
Fairy
(one very satisfied customer)

Reply #9
That might have worked if piracy wasn't running rampant as it is now. If everybody who is opposed to copy protection stops buying CDs, the RIAA would attribute the drop in sales to increasing piracy, and they would lobby the government to be able to use even more draconian measures against illegal downloading and copying. They could use the drop in sales to justify it. Quite the opposite of what we want.

I think that's a very simplistic statement.

For one thing, only some CDs are copy protected. If the copy protection worked, and if piracy was a major cause in the decline of music sales, then these copy protected discs would sell more than "standard" CDs. However, neither is true, and so this simply isn't the case.

Therefore, if people choose not to buy copy protected CDs, then these CDs will sell in fewer numbers than other, non copy protected CDs, and the message to the record companies will be clear.

What will happen in reality is that such a small percentage of consumers will care that individual decisions will have almost no effect.

I've already made my suggestion in my previous post.

What I don't understand is why titles are released protected in some countries, but unprotected in others. Even if the copy protection worked, the internet, being a global thing, would mean that rips from the unprotected version would spread throughout the world. I don't understand the point of copy protecting a disc in one country, but releasing the same title "in the clear" in another.

Then again, I don't understand the point of largely ineffective copy protection in this scenario. If it worked, and was applied to titles worldwide, then at least it would do its job. As it is, I'm not sure what it achieves. I suspect it's just a perception of being protected, and a perception of "doing something" which appeals in some quarters.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #10
I've already made my suggestion in my previous post.

I don't have an international CC :-/

Reply #11
[
What I don't understand is why titles are released protected in some countries, but unprotected in others.

As you suggested, consumer resistance works, but they are judging it on a market by market basis.

The only real MUST BUY music is some case like your SO is in the band and you will catch hell if you don't get the CD.

But CD isn't the only game anymore... There was a piece on NPR over the weekend about SACD and DVD-A not doing so well.  The  spin from the stereophile commentator was that only a very few care about the extra fidelity... of course this is the crowd that  lists the popularity of CD over vinyl as further evidence.

There was no suggestion that people are resisting the inherent copy protection of these new formats... can't say that out loud.

Reply #12
I don't think anybody is going to benefit from a boycott. The most important thing we can do against it is spread awareness of how evil copy protections are.

What is the point? If everyone is aware that copy protection is on a CD and people continue to buy it, all it does is ligitamize the practice.
Since in the near future it seems that file sharing is still increasing, hense the RIAA & record companies will be using more & more CD protections along with the trend to compress the s**t out of them.
Personally I believe there are 2 usual ways that producers change their habits - negative feedback and reduced sales. Since I think the number of people who are bothered by copy protection and compression are fairly small in terms of total sales I don't think a boycott will make them alter their crusade against piracy. Maybe a well mounted public display against this practice will have more effect? Maybe HA should start something?

For me I chose the boycott just because I really don't believe in supporting a system that has obviously lost track of what art & music really means, where to these companies & the RIAA it is really just a matter of pure economics & desperately trying to keep the monopoly & status-quo. 1 person protests usually do no fair very well but I would rather give $10 to a local band at a pub then to give that money to the RIAA so they can continue this stupidity.

Reply #13
The point is I buy online....

Kings of Leon, BRMC, and others (BMG) all copy protected!!!!

The first I find out is a low bit rate player popping up in my PC or I stick it in my £2000 hi fi (official red book licenced code CD player) and my cd player crashes coz it just doesn't understand what is happening with the disk.

This used to really annoy and then I got the s/w I talked about above and now I don't mind!

Fairy )

Reply #14

King Of Leon "Young & Young Manhood" isn't a copy protected CD in my country (argentina). I can't find copy protected CDs here,  ; but the piracy is big, around 80% of CD sales coming from pirated copies. A pirate copy costs only U$ 1 and an original CD around U$ 13. And the quality of pirated copies are good enough except by the art work. The people only buy pirated copies here, the sellers of pirated cds are everywhere and the autorities do nothing for stop this illegal market.
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #15
What I don't understand is why titles are released protected in some countries, but unprotected in others. Even if the copy protection worked, the internet, being a global thing, would mean that rips from the unprotected version would spread throughout the world. I don't understand the point of copy protecting a disc in one country, but releasing the same title "in the clear" in another.

Well, there are several reasons I can think of. They probably wanna see how much a copy protection will affect the CD sells...this might happen when they release a CD with CP in the US and without a CP in Australia.

At the other hand, in rather poor countries the majority of people might have old CD Players, so too many people would be affected by this. Mostly in those countries people won't buy CD's anyway, simply because they can get it in special stores for very cheap and almost look alike with the original. So if they would put a copy protection on a CD, it would be even harder to sell original CD's. Why would someone want to spend more as the double amount to get a CD that probably doesn't even play in his/her CD-Player? Besides that, there are license fees which the company has to pay for the used copy-protection and since it isn't a big market in such countries there is no point of wasting this money...people that have money will buy the CD even if it isn't copy-protected and they would only loose their loyal customers...and last, I don't think that people in this kind of countries got T1 everywhere so that they can share it over the net. They might be happy when they have a 56k dial up...and I don't think they got flat rates after all 
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #16

Well, they win on those few, don't they? I've had the same dilemma.

But, on the other hand, the awareness of copy protection has made me much more selective and narrowed my would- and must-buy's quite down.

Hadn't Peter Gabriel's new compilation been copy-protected I would have bought it. Now I'm going to go without. (And my local wrecka stow certainly knows why  )
Same goes for the Sylvian reissues. Pet Shop Boys too.

Reply #17
I have not bought a cd yet that presented a problem to rip.

But if I do, I am going to return it and ask for a working copy.

I am like lots of people here.My computer is the central component of my home system.I listen to compressed files and I don't think I could live without the instant access and convenience of my box.

I also use a portable cd player and love the convenience of selecting a handful of favourites to burn.

THIS IS CLEARLY FAIR USE OF THE CD'S I BUY!

Analog rips do not make the grade either. I would be VERY tempted to analog rip, compress and offer the album to the world though if I can't use the product that I buy as I wish.

Reply #18

Most of the time it's probably for no other reason than bad timing from a logistics point of view. I'm sure if everything was in it's right place at the right time they would've been.

Edit: Ever worked for a large scale company? Nothing ever goes to plan.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #19

King Of Leon "Young & Young Manhood" isn't a copy protected CD in my country (argentina). I can't find copy protected CDs here,  ; but the piracy is big, around 80% of CD sales coming from pirated copies. A pirate copy costs only U$ 1 and an original CD around U$ 13. And the quality of pirated copies are good enough except by the art work. The people only buy pirated copies here, the sellers of pirated cds are everywhere and the autorities do nothing for stop this illegal market.

THIS IS WHY they are copy protecting them.  If this was to be the case in the US and Europe it would ruin the music industry.  I think they should maybe look at clamping down on these vendors instead.

The really annoying thing is it's luck if your online vendor gives you copy protected or not, I had read about the protection on the new Travis album but there is none on my copy

I think it's a crime not to pay for your music.  I also think that it's a pity most of the world does not have Fair Use laws.  I am in the UK, and there is no Fair Use law here

People read US websites and assume their is, but there isn't.

Fairy

Reply #20

King Of Leon "Young & Young Manhood" isn't a copy protected CD in my country (argentina). I can't find copy protected CDs here,   ; but the piracy is big, around 80% of CD sales coming from pirated copies. A pirate copy costs only U$ 1 and an original CD around U$ 13. And the quality of pirated copies are good enough except by the art work. The people only buy pirated copies here, the sellers of pirated cds are everywhere and the autorities do nothing for stop this illegal market.

THIS IS WHY they are copy protecting them.  If this was to be the case in the US and Europe it would ruin the music industry.  I think they should maybe look at clamping down on these vendors instead.

Copy protection won't stop these kind of  sales.

As long as you can listen to a record, it is possible to copy it. It may be more complicated (and/or need better equipment), but those who sell copies can still do it. In worst case they can do a analog copy - they will still be able to sell the them.

To stop this you need completely different strategies. ( ie. you need to find the people responsible)

Reply #22
not only that, but most of the copy protection schemes used thus far have been bypassed one way or another, digitally, by software. these protections don't solve any piracy problems. they just create more public relations problems for the record labels.

EMI, for instance, being the dumbass cunts that they are, have recently moved to protect their entire catalogue here in canada. the problem is many people have been calling and/or coming in non-stop to complain that EMI CDs are not playing properly on their equipment. i know this for a fact because a friend of mine works for a major HMV branch and she's dealing with these kinds of problems day in and out.

most people who return corrupt CDs just say they don't work properly (some tracks skip, some start playing from the middle of the song, some discs don't work at all in the car stereo or dvd players, etc.). and most of the people who return these CDs don't have a clue about what copy protection is and how it is affecting the product that they buy. they just think it's a "manufacturing" defect when in fact it's not.

so, my friend tells them to contact EMI and sort this problem out. people do just that. and EMI sends them an unprotected version free of charge through the post. oh gee, guess where that disc is gonna end up? on the web, p2p networks. pathetic isn't it? so what is copy protection solving exactly? absolutely nothing! this whole copy protection process costs EMI more money, yes. they have to pay more to press copy protected CDs and on top of that there are the logistical costs of sending unprotected CDs to consumers who complain 'cause after all you don't wanna piss the very people who keep you in business.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #23
As long as you can listen to a record, it is possible to copy it.

For this reason, NoAudio™ was created:
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/08/encrypt.html

roflmfao 

... A focus group of listeners agreed unanimously that *NSYNC's latest album Celebrity sounded much better after it had been encrypted using NoAudio.  "There were no more annoying dance tunes or formula ballads getting in the way of my enjoyment," said one listener.

Way to go, man !