Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux ogg-flac player? (Read 4940 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux ogg-flac player?

I have a set of ogg-flac files that I've ripped from a cd (with .ogg extension), but it appears that the standard XMMS flac plugin doesn't support them. What should I use on Linux to play these files (and, possibly, tag them)?

Thanks in advance.

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #1
the current XMMS plugin does not support Ogg FLAC.

however, I have just recently checked in the new decoder layers necessary to do seeking in Ogg FLAC, so the XMMS plugin may be upgraded soon.  I don't know how to solve the file extension problem (Ogg FLAC uses .ogg just like Ogg Vorbis).

Josh

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #2

however, I have just recently checked in the new decoder layers necessary to do seeking in Ogg FLAC, so the XMMS plugin may be upgraded soon.  I don't know how to solve the file extension problem (Ogg FLAC uses .ogg just like Ogg Vorbis).

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225420"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ooh boy, looks like another problem case for a single extension (.ogg).  How does XMMS determine which plugin to use for an audio file?  Is it by extension or by content?

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #3

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225420"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great! Has the bug been fixed where all Ogg FLAC files had a serial number of 0?  Thank you for your work.

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #4
ooh boy, looks like another problem case for a single extension (.ogg).  How does XMMS determine which plugin to use for an audio file?  Is it by extension or by content?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

luckily *unix* does not rely on file extentions to determine what file type a file has.
this can easily be proven with the "file" utility.

Code: [Select]
phil..(1996) Crash> file Dave\ Matthews\ Band\ -\ 01\ -\ So\ Much\ to\ Say.ogg 
Dave Matthews Band - 01 - So Much to Say.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, stereo, 44100 Hz, ~192000 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I (post-1.0 CVS)

phil..(1996) Crash> cp Dave\ Matthews\ Band\ -\ 01\ -\ So\ Much\ to\ Say.ogg bla

phil..(1996) Crash> file bla
bla: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, stereo, 44100 Hz, ~192000 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I (post-1.0 CVS)

--
cheers,
phil
The question is, who cares?

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #5
Great! Has the bug been fixed where all Ogg FLAC files had a serial number of 0?

not yet, but it will be in the next release.

luckily *unix* does not rely on file extentions to determine what file type a file has.

yes, but I think XMMS still depends on file extension (not sure though).  the holy grail is an 'Ogg' plugin that can handle multiple contained formats.

Josh

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #6
The holy grail would be to abandon XMMS and its outdated PlugIn API and concentrate on XMMS2 and/or GStreamer.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #7
The holy grail would be to abandon XMMS and its outdated PlugIn API and concentrate on XMMS2 and/or GStreamer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225639"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

maybe so... FLAC is already supported in GStreamer, maybe after I do the next release they will have all they need for Ogg FLAC support too.

Josh

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #8
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225639"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

maybe so... FLAC is already supported in GStreamer, maybe after I do the next release they will have all they need for Ogg FLAC support too.

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225694"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It would be nice if there were ways for a decoder plugin to call another decoder plugin if it can't decode the input by itself. I don't know the internals, but foobar2000 seems (from the outside, at least) to attempt opening *.ogg files with either the Vorbis, FLAC, or speex plugin.

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #9
Great! Has the bug been fixed where all Ogg FLAC files had a serial number of 0?

not yet, but it will be in the next release.

yes, but I think XMMS still depends on file extension (not sure though).  the holy grail is an 'Ogg' plugin that can handle multiple contained formats.

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225636"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The mp3 plugin in XMMS has an option for content, extension or content and extension. So perhaps XMMS tries opening the file with each plugin to see which one works? lol  Sounds rather clumsy.

Linux ogg-flac player?

Reply #10
It would be nice if there were ways for a decoder plugin to call another decoder plugin if it can't decode the input by itself.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=225750"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is one of the problems that GStreamer solves. It's like intelligent audio plumbing - you set up a pipeline consisting of a file reader, a demuxer, an automatic plugin chooser and then a sink. The sink could be a sound device or a pipeline that encodes into another format then writes to file. It's a very good architecture, but is not quite perfect yet.

I haven't looked at XMMS2, but it might be moving in the same direction. They might have been overtaken completely by GStreamer and it's pretty front ends (like Rhythmbox).