Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD playback - seekbar (Read 2678 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD playback - seekbar

Greetings everyone,

I just noticed that when playing DSD files, the seekbar is anything from accurate & it's moving very, very fast relative to the song or even entire album/playlist length.

The image below is to illustrate this (though a gif would be more appropiate), I started playing the album from the beginning, track 01.
The program shows track 06 playing (highlighted in green) when in reality the last few seconds of track 01 are playing.
The seekbar has "finished" with the first 5 tracks even before the 2:21s long 1st track finished playing.
With the seekbar moving VERY fast, it will continue to move over the tracks in a continuous loop, until....it never seems to stop.
First I thought it would be scanning the files then stop, get back on the right track/time but no, it just keeps going on.

Needless to say that makes it impossible to actually go back or forward in a song using the seekbar since it's not even seeking the same track.  :)

foo_input_sacd-0.9.11, foo_out_asio & ASIOProxy v0.9.2 components are the only components installed.

Re: DSD playback - seekbar

Reply #1
With the foo_input_sacd-0.9.x series foo_out_asio is no longer needed.  Indeed ASIO is no longer needed.
I got symptoms similar to yours with some earlier versions of foo_input_sacd-0.9x but with 0.9.11 things seem to be working well with ASIO, WASAPI, or KS and dsf, dff, or DST or DSD iso files.
I assume you are talking about the waveform seekbar?  FWIW I'm using 0.2.45.3. of the foo_wave_seekbar and 2.1.2 of foo_out_asio

Reply #2
Thank you for your reply,

I'm talking about the standard seekbar, I re-uploaded the image and made a red rectangle over it.

Is that the same thing as foo_wave_seekbar? Sounds like a new component to me and I don't see it listed in my foobar.

What do you mean foo_out_asio is no longer needed? If I remove it, I have no sound coming from DSD files.

I must add that removing foo_out_asio returns the seekbar functionality to normal (despite having no sound I can tell it doesn't move 14 times faster).
Also, re-installing foo_out_asio (v2.1.2) and selecting anything ELSE but
- DSD: ASIO: foo_dsd_asio
or
- DSD: ASIO: iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio (I have iFi Micro iDSD USB DAC/Amplifier)
...in Preferences / Playback / Output, plays no sound for DSD files.

Howerever, sound returns immediately after selecting any of those 2 options above, unfortunately so does the 14 times (it takes ~10 seconds to "finish" the 2:21s of the first track) faster seeking seekbar.

P.S.

The seekbar's functionality returns to normal when playing anything but DSD files, be it mp3 or FLAC files (keeping the same 2 outputs listed above).

Reply #3
Just in case I'm not understanding you I'll try to be more explicit:

Without the asio proxy installed you need to select one of the "DSD : ..." outputs to get DSD, BUT you shouldn't use "DSD : ASIO : foo_dsd_asio" even if it's there.

Oops, I never use the builtin seekbar.  But I just tried it and it works fine with any of the "DSD : ..." outputs selected that mention my DSD DAC.

(http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_wave_seekbar is a nice component.)

Reply #4
I tried playing the same files on a different computer, same components installed.

You are correct, ASIOProxy is not needed and DSD plays fine by selecting "DSD: x DAC" in output.
Also, the seekbar works perfectly fine, with or without ASIOProxy installed (be it v0.8.3 or v0.9.2).

So it's something in my other computer... what could it be?
:(

Reply #5
The only things that come to mind are a DSD file with a bad header that misstates it's sample rate or perhaps accidentally playing a multichannel DSD file (I don't really know what these would do with various output drivers, etc.)

Have you tried a portable installation on the first computer to see if it's something foobar2000 related vs. computer and/or sound card related?

Sorry I can't be more help.

Reply #6
The files I played on the 2nd computer are the exact same files on the 1st computer (I copied them from one to another).

It's something I did yesterday that triggered this behavior but I can't quite detect what it is...
It's certainly something that survives in start-up or some other application running (though I'm only running foobar & Chrome).
Foobar has been reinstalled several times, computer restarted, even turned off.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will try to install the portable version of foobar and see how it goes.
I'll come back with my findings.

P.S.

I did just that, completely uninstalled Foobar deleting all its folders, restarted Windows.
- then, installed Foobar portable edition with all Optional Features selected
- installed components foo_input_sacd (v0.9.11) & foo_out_asio (v2.1.2)
- did NOT install ASIOProxy as I agreed you were correct earlier (proven by my 2nd computer)

As I was anxious to get to the bottom of this, forgot to select the Output and just pressed play.
Everything started playing fine & seekbar working correctly BUT to my surprise, when checking what Output has foobar selected by default...DS: Primary Sound Driver.
Really?  :o (iFi Micro iDSD is indeed selected as primary & default device in Windows Sound settings).
I selected all the files in the album to double check, everything played ok.

Since I knew this was technically not possible, I changed the Output to DSD: ASIO: iFi (etc) (as it should be for DSD files), restarted foobar.
Everything is fine, again, seekbar also working as it should.

Wanting to re-check that Output / DS: Primary Sound Driver playing DSDs, I selected it, restarted foobar.
This time...no sound. Am I lost or what?  :'(

Getting back to the point, since reinstalling foobar in portable edition, applying NO theme/settings AND NOT restoring ANY of the old settings makes DSD files play just fine (with proper seekbar), leads me to believe it's something lurking in the old settings that drives the seekbar nuts.
I'll get back...again.

This is beginning to sound like a soap opera (especially with the Output / DS: playing DSD files  :o )

P.S. #2

Overwriting the default Core.cfg settings file (basically restoring my settings), makes seekbar sick again.
Finally got it.
Restoring my settings, discovered that Preferences / Playback / DSP Manager had Equalizer set as Active DSPs.
The moment Equalizer is removed from Active, the seekbar becomes normal.
Putting it back (or opening Equalizer and ticking Equalizer Enabled - even without a frequency change) drives the seekbar nuts again.

N.B.

Enabling Equalizer with a different Output (also no sound for DSD) does NOT affect the seekbar.

Seems there's a tight relationship between:
- selecting Output / DSD: ASIO: iFi
- playing DSD files
- ENABLING Equalizer
...to determine the seekbar to move 14 times faster.

Would you be so kind as to try this too?

Reply #7
Yes, having Equalizer in the DSP chain does cause the seekbar to go nuts when playing DSD (and the audio take quite a while to queue.)  But depending on the equalizer settings (and probably the sound level of the material being played) you may or may not get sound reliably when playing DSD since the Equalizer may interfere with bit perfect playing (even when set for flat) and thus corrupt the DoP flags (if you are outputting DoP.)

I agree that using the output of "DS : Primary sound driver" can't work on DSD (at least if your DAC requires DoP like mine.)  And indeed it doesn't here.

And just to beat a dead horse the other "DSD : <...> : <your DAC>" settings can work fine with DSD if Windows is configured properly, e.g. volume at 100, balance at 100/100, all enhancements off and both exclusive mode check boxes checked.  With my drivers these Windows settings also affect "DSD : ASIO : <my DSD DAC>" so there's no real difference here between using ASIO, KS, etc. here.

Reply #8
Thank you very much for confirming the issue with enabling equalizer (even when flat) that makes the seekbar go weird.
This issue made me worry about me doing something fundamentally wrong to the operating system or DAC drivers.

Thanks to you I did abandon the idea of installing ASIOProxy and DSDs are playing just fine now via output "DSD: ASIO (in my case): <my DAC>".

Minor the seekerbar & equalizer glitch (when playing DSDs only), it's all good.

I'm a (very) new & enthusiastic user of foobar so chances are quite high I'll come back for advice.
Thank you very much for having the kindness and patience in assisting me with this, I very much appreciate it.

:-[

Reply #9
Hello, I have a NuPrime uDsD device. It is connected to a computer with Win10 OS. I have installed foobar as well as the SACD plugin and the foo_out_asio plugin. Still when I go to Foobar/Prefreences/Components/Playback/Output (as instructed by the guide book), the "foo_dsd_asio" option does not show up under the device menu. Does anybody have an idea of what can I do? Thanks a lot.

Reply #10
Hello, I have a NuPrime uDsD device. It is connected to a computer with Win10 OS. I have installed foobar as well as the SACD plugin and the foo_out_asio plugin. Still when I go to Foobar/Prefreences/Components/Playback/Output (as instructed by the guide book), the "foo_dsd_asio" option does not show up under the device menu. Does anybody have an idea of what can I do? Thanks a lot.
I answered this the other place you posted this question.