Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl aficionados and their perception of audio quality (Read 37078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Vinyl aficionados and their perception of audio quality

Reply #100
Let's see -- you don't seem to understand the rather simple math in the paper by Benchmark Media that I linked
0.03% is 70dB below signal. It could not be enough in some cases.
you don't need a listening test
The human ear is just no precise enough for analyzing electronic equipment.

More luck to you
You're going to need a lot more than luck around here, with the D/K stuff above - all your words.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #101

I know you are trying as hard as you can, but your debating results are, well, to put it politely, in the lowest 20 percent.

More luck to you in the next debate I open on this forum. So far, your score is dismal -- and you know it.
And yet, oddly enough, I don't see anyone else taking your side.

Your response to my question (evidence that 0.03% THD is audible) was totally inadequate.

you suck at logic too. Argument ad populum, my dear buddy, that is what you managed to come up with.

Speaking of THD, do you even know what it is, given that you know very little mathematics?

Reply #102
Pretty sure this was a discussion forum, this is not a discussion any more, it's petty bickering.

Reply #103
Pretty sure this was a discussion forum, this is not a discussion any more, it's petty bickering.
Yes, I'm annoyed at this to no end.

Reply #104

I know you are trying as hard as you can, but your debating results are, well, to put it politely, in the lowest 20 percent.

More luck to you in the next debate I open on this forum. So far, your score is dismal -- and you know it.

Your response to my question (evidence that 0.03% THD is audible) was totally inadequate.

you suck at logic too. Argument ad populum, my dear buddy, that is what you managed to come up with.

Speaking of THD, do you even know what it is, given that you know very little mathematics?
I was working in electronics when the transistor was just becoming available, but you probably discount years of experience too. You probably also don't care about my multiple degrees.

None of this has anything to do with a simple request for you to back up a statement that you made (and no, the article that you linked to doesn't help make your case).

Reply #105
This guy's is hopeless!

He babbles to the point of sounding like voices in his head keep telling him to always have the last word - regardless of how you challenge his wild goose chases.

Not being a fraction as technical as other members, my pickle with him was his desperate attempt of distorting what HA is all about. as a vehicle for waging this imaginary "war on audiophiles" he thinks there is. I simply gave up!

Just wait and see, his next "gems" for replies, and you'll see what I mean.

As a reminder, he started here by kissing everyone's behinds, but suddenly turned to showing his true colours.

Shutting him up is simply a job like that o Sisyphus's.

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #106

I was working in electronics when the transistor was just becoming available, but you probably discount years of experience too. You probably also don't care about my multiple degrees.

None of this has anything to do with a simple request for you to back up a statement that you made (and no, the article that you linked to doesn't help make your case).

My mistake, I thought that the author of the comment was someone else. I apologize for that. You obviously know what THD is.

That, said, your argument about nobody taking my side is still a logical fallacy.

You did not understand my statement about (in)audibility of 0.03% THD. I did not claim that 0.03% THD was audible. I said that 0.03% does NOT GUARANTEE that the distortion is absolutely(!) inaudible in all cases. It is a question of a "safety margin" if you will. The Benchmark paper goes through some numerical examples that should be very easy for you to digest. They are very precise in their definitions and I find their paper persuasive.

Reply #108

OK,
This guy's is hopeless!

He babbles to the point of sounding like voices in his head keep telling him to always have the last word - regardless of how you challenge his wild goose chases.

Not being a fraction as technical as other members, my pickle with him was his desperate attempt of distorting what HA is all about. as a vehicle for waging this imaginary "war on audiophiles" he thinks there is. I simply gave up!

Just wait and see, his next "gems" for replies, and you'll see what I mean.

As a reminder, he started here by kissing everyone's behinds, but suddenly turned to showing his true colours.

Shutting him up is simply a job like that o Sisyphus's.

So you are in the business of shutting people up?

About me always having the last word, I will prove you wrong. I will not post any further responses to this thread.

Reply #109
I did not claim that 0.03% THD was audible. I said that 0.03% does NOT GUARANTEE that the distortion is absolutely(!) inaudible in all cases.
LOL
Ok, show one case of audible 0.03% THD

TOS 8. All members that put forth a statement concerning subjective sound quality, must -- to the best of their ability -- provide objective support for their claims.  Acceptable means of support are double blind listening tests (ABX or ABC/HR) demonstrating that the member can discern a difference perceptually, together with a test sample to allow others to reproduce their findings.  Graphs, non-blind listening tests, waveform difference comparisons, and so on, are not acceptable means of providing support.

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #110
Why not just say that you know of no cases where 0.03% THD is audible, so it is entirely possible that such cases do not exist.

Then say that having 0.003% THD gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I don't think that anyone here would have a problem with that.

Reply #111
I did not claim that 0.03% THD was audible. I said that 0.03% does NOT GUARANTEE that the distortion is absolutely(!) inaudible in all cases.
LOL

TOS 8. All members that put forth a statement concerning subjective sound quality, must -- to the best of their ability -- provide objective support for their claims.  Acceptable means of support are double blind listening tests (ABX or ABC/HR) demonstrating that the member can discern a difference perceptually, together with a test sample to allow others to reproduce their findings.  Graphs, non-blind listening tests, waveform difference comparisons, and so on, are not acceptable means of providing support.

See above.

Reply #112
Why not just say that you know of no cases where 0.03% THD is audible, so it is entirely possible that such cases do not exist.

Then say that having 0.003% THD gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I don't think that anyone here would have a problem with that.

See above.

Reply #114
... About me always having the last word, I will prove you wrong. I will not post any further responses to this thread.

That statement has proved to be as correct as everything else you've posted in this thread.

Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #115
In the whole thread I still don't know what level of THD in which case is audible and that's exactly a waste of time, why not just say 0% is inaudible?

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,110146.0.html

On the contrary by taking two different listening tests I know my ability to hear tiny differences in frequency variation under a specific condition. The thread ended peacefully and quickly and solved the disputes in some published studies.

Reply #116
The Benchmark link is nonsense. There are no listening tests involved, just numbers thrown out and assumptions.

Reply #117
I said that 0.03% does NOT GUARANTEE that the distortion is absolutely(!) inaudible in all cases.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #118
LOL

0.1% THD is the usual limit. Even that requires somewhat atypical conditions.

Two approaches to possibly making 0.03% THD audible are:

(1) Very high order nonlinear distortion

(2) Crossover distortion.

Both are very uncommon in good modern gear, and come pretty close to being excluded middle arguments.  The second approach might be more fruitful.

Reply #119
0.1% THD is the usual limit. Even that requires somewhat atypical conditions.

Two approaches to possibly making 0.03% THD audible are:

(1) Very high order nonlinear distortion

(2) Crossover distortion.

Both are very uncommon in good modern gear, and come pretty close to being excluded middle arguments.  The second approach might be more fruitful.
Thanks! This is the answer I've been looking for, and curious about after reading through this messy thread lol