Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Difference in bitrate between V2 and V2 vbr-new (Read 4518 times) previous topic - next topic

Difference in bitrate between V2 and V2 vbr-new

I've been a supporter of 3.90.3 for a long long time, but wanted to convert some of my new cds using lame version 3.97b1 (and from today, also b2 - same results).

This mostly is classical music, piano concerts, opera stuff.

Using the V2 vbr-new paramater, bitrates for my new cds were 122-160kpbs.
I found this scarily low, although mind you, they sound great.

So I used the V2 without vbr-new (and reading the forums, the target bitrate still is the same), and these same cds are now 160-200kpbs. A significant difference, I'd say!
And roughly the same as 3.90 would give.

I thought it might be contributable to the 128kbps bottom no longer existing, but the number of samples that are below that are very limited, 128-160 is mostly chosen, whereas the non-vbr-new tends to choose 160-224.

Is there an explanation for this enormous difference in bitrate between V2 and V2 --vbr-new?

Reply #1
up.  I have wondered this as well.

Reply #2
This is one of the improvements in --vbr-new. Don´t panic. The developers try to tune the psy-model for not wasting bits while even getting better overall quality. There is much tuning going on therefore.
Maybe it isn´t that accurate on every piece of music atm but that is why it´s called beta.
Please report any degraded sample you hear harmed by --vbr-new...

Edit: I want to add that my statement above shouldn´t give the wrong impression. Not that accurate on every piece of music means that there are rare exceptions.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!