Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ac3 sound (Read 4205 times) previous topic - next topic

ac3 sound

Hello everybody.

I'm writing becouse i've lost hope to hear properly played .avi file with ac3 sound on my pc. I've read loads od faq's and articles but i still can't get it to sound like as it is supposed to (like on dvd + DD hardware decoder).
Is that even possible to get ac3 from pc to sound exactly the same as on hardware home theater? Please help me about it if you have same (or almost, or you just know how to do it) pc hardware and software like me. Ah and don't write that i should buy external DD/DTS decoder or something becouse i don't have money for that .
I've got : ABIT VH6T motherboard, Celeron 800@1100Mhz processor, SB Audigy (with installed Audigy2 drivers - better sound and stuff, even ac3 plays a bit better) and Cambridge DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 (without DD/DTS decoder) speakers.
I use : Windows XP Professional, Media Player 6.4
I am using ac3filter 0.63b now becouse it sounds best of those i've tried. It plays on all speakers etc. but it's not properly played DD.

Any help with what shoud i install/setup is welcome

ac3 sound

Reply #1
Hello everybody.

I'm writing becouse i've lost hope to hear properly played .avi file with ac3 sound on my pc. I've read loads od faq's and articles but i still can't get it to sound like as it is supposed to (like on dvd + DD hardware decoder).

What do you mean with that? Is the difference concerning sound quality?

I've had problems decoding the ac3file correctly. The channels were not played properly where they were supposed to be. I solved the (Sadly for your ) by letting the undecoded ac3stream directly to my external amp. And when I first heard the multichannel sound I was (and still am ) quite impressed by the difference to regular stereo records.

fragtal

edit: added just a simple thought.
I love the moderators.

ac3 sound

Reply #2
I propose you to use BSplayer with ac3 video files.
You should also turn in BSplayer "SPDIF" as output speakers, and do the same in "a3c filters" in control panel. If you have checked in creative surround mixer "ac3-decode" everything should be fine.

I have Audigy1 with audigy1 drivers + Creative inspire 5100 speakers. No problems with ac3 in avi or dvd
  you could try to look at doom9,
everwicked, or divx.pl
[span style=\'color:blue\']music in my mind...[/span]

ac3 sound

Reply #3
@raff

Thx for suggestion. I'll check out BSplayer

@fragtal

I don't know what exactly is wrong with sound (maybe it is the wrong channels play) but it sounds different from what i heard on external amp

ac3 sound

Reply #4
if you don't have an external amp, how do you know it sounds different?

maybe play with the ac3filter settings.  it has all sorts of eq and normalization options in its default setup that alter the ac3 stream.  turn off DRC and all the rest of it, and then try.  Should work fine.

ac3 sound

Reply #5
@floyd

I know becouse my friend has an external amp and it sounds much better at it.
I've played with all options in ac3filter and in my opinion it is always almost the same