Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [2 short Samples] could somebody please check them (Read 4498 times) previous topic - next topic

[2 short Samples] could somebody please check them

hello,

I have uploaded 2 short samples of 2 different songs. Could somebody please listen to them and tell me his/her opinion about it? I think that they sound really bad and proablaby have been transcoded or something. The bitrate is 192kbps (CBR) and EncSpot says that Lame (for the first sample) and FhG (second smaple) has been used.
So thanks for your help

Sample 1 (720kb)
Sample 2 (801kb)
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #1
19 people already viewed this thread now...so I guess some of them downloaded the samples...could please everybody that downloaded the files post a quick comment?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Reply #2
"Sample2" is absolutely appalling, probably transcoded from a 96kbps or lower.

The first one sounds bad too, even when the deliberately "distorted" section is over; but... I think we'd have to hear the original wav before deciding on whether it was a transcode or not. There's a peice of obvious crackle in there, which could mean it was recorded from vinyl. If this wasn't done properly, it would explain the slack quality.

Reply #3
thanks for your answer! I knew it!!! Someday something like this would happen  I have actually some more of bad files...I guess I have to re-check my mp3 collection

Reply #4
Well, I downloaded them just to give them a listen cause I rarely use MP3s anymore. I stick to ogg, but anyway.

Sample 1 was not all that bad. Just a little hissy throughout, but that is something I have come to realize I cannot escape with MP3s at any setting. Also, there is a pop during the clip you provided. You probably noticed that, but I decided to point it out.

As for sample 2, I had that CD setting right here so I decided to encode at 192 and compare the two. Volume comparisons sound about the same. However, your sample sounds a little muffled compared to what I encoded. Once the singing kicks in on your sample, the treble in the file just gets ridiculous. It sounds pretty horrible. And the bass seems like it has been bumped up or something.

So, yeah, I would suggest getting a different version and hopefully it will sound better than what you have.