Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A renaming problem (Read 4182 times) previous topic - next topic

A renaming problem

Note sure if this is strictly a cuetools question, bit as it parses EAC created .cue files…

I have ripped each of my CDs into separate directory. (I have about 700 CDs). The name of the directory is the albumname. It doesn’t include the date. To enable sorting them into  chronological order, I want to add the year that the CD was released to the directory name. One source of the year is in the cue file in the directory… another might looking up the artist and album combo using a tagger….

Anyone have  suggestions on applications that might help?

Re: A renaming problem

Reply #1
You would have to re-encode everything if you used CUETools.
korth

Reply #2
not sure why, but shouldn’t be a problem as cuetools has batch mode..

Reply #3
Can't you load the files into foobar2000 and using "Convert" and/or "File Operations" create a copy with the folder name as you wish?

Reply #4
You can probably manually rename 100 directories in an evening.    It's not "that impossible" and it will probably be faster than figuring-out how how to automate the process and debug the process.

...All my files are tagged with the year so my player software can easily sort by year no matter how they are physically organized.

...I try to tag all of the songs by their original release date, which was sometimes on vinyl and sometimes difficult or impossible to  find.    It can be rather time consuming with various artist or greatest hits CDs but that's what I want to see in the "database".   It was a huge task when I started doing it but now I do it just-after ripping so it's more manageable .

Reply #5
Can't you load the files into foobar2000 and using "Convert" and/or "File Operations" create a copy with the folder name as you wish?
Thanks for the mention of foobar2000. I’ll have a look!

Reply #6
You can probably manually rename 100 directories in an evening.    It's not "that impossible" and it will probably be faster than figuring-out how how to automate the process and debug the process.

probably true!

Reply #7
What are you using to play them? Are date tags then visible? Does it retrieve .cue or do you have it as tags in the files?
Anyway, if you are in to manipulate tags above the most basic level, you probably need Mp3tag and MusicBrainz Picard.

It is possible to rename based on tags. foobar2000, Mp3tag and surely a ton of other applications. But first you need to know whether the information is in the .cue or in the tags. (How to? Open them all in Mp3tag - multi-select all folders and drag and drop into the window - and see if date is present there.)

Reply #8
The year is only in the cue file. The
other file in the folder is the wav file for the cue to refer to.

I could encode a set of mp3s into each directory which would tag them with the date, which picard etc can pickup and use. I was hoping for a shortcut  that would read the year from the cue file directly.

Reply #9
OK, so you have them all as untagged single .wav+cue? That means all the metadata are in the .cue file - that makes things easier than if some were in tags and some were in .cue.

There is no reason to keep them uncompressed. CUETools can convert, and it has a - well not great, but surely working - renaming scheme.  Also if you want to keep them as single file per CD, then consider embedding the cuesheet (that's an option in CUETools). Because there are two ways to do that in FLAC, you may consider WavPack as your format of choice. (It is less compatible, but single file + cue isn't that compatible either, so you probably want something that can play both. I use foobar2000 ... then I do use one FLAC file per track though.)

Set CUETools to "drag and drop", feed it like three or four folders and see how it works. It can also tag by MusicBrainz.

Reply #10
Is there a way to copy the entire contents of the input directory to the output?

Reply #11
Using CUETools? no
You can have .cue, audio file(s), EAC log, & folder.jpg (all rewritten, not copies of original files).
korth

Reply #12
Using CUETools? no
You can have .cue, audio file(s), EAC log, & folder.jpg (all rewritten, not copies of original files).
Thanks!

Reply #13
Is there a way to copy the entire contents of the input directory to the output?
If you'd used 'File Operations > Move To' in foobar as @Apesbrain suggested then you'd just need to select the 'Move entire source folder content' option.

Reply #14

Yes, but I don’t see how foobar will read the date from the .cue file. It can only read from an encoded mp3 or flac file. So I was investigating if cuetools could do the whole job

Reply #15
Yes, but I don’t see how foobar will read the date from the .cue file. It can only read from an encoded mp3 or flac file. So I was investigating if cuetools could do the whole job
foobar handles the basic metadata from cue files fine, just make sure you load the cue into foobar not the wav/flac.
As an example I placed a .cue and .flac in a folder called D:\{album}, I then loaded the cue into foobar and performed a 'File Operations > Move To' with:
Code: [Select]
Operation type: Move
Destination folder: D:\
File name pattern: %date%' - '%album%\%filename%
Move entire source folder content: Checked
Remove empty source folders: Checked
and it moved the entire folder correctly into the desired target directory.

Reply #16
Thanks, I’ll look at it again.

Reply #17
foobar handles the basic metadata from cue files fine, just make sure you load the cue into foobar not the wav/flac.
As an example I placed a .cue and .flac in a folder called D:\{album}, I then loaded the cue into foobar and performed a 'File Operations > Move To' with:
Code: [Select]
Operation type: Move
Destination folder: D:\
File name pattern: %date%' - '%album%\%filename%
Move entire source folder content: Checked
Remove empty source folders: Checked
and it moved the entire folder correctly into the desired target directory.

Great. That worked for a single folder. How can I open all the .cue files in a whole tree of folders. Each one is in a folder under
artist/album/blah.cue - with a .wav file and jpgs etc

I tried opening the folders at the top level, but foobar doesnt traverse the tree and process each cue file so the variables aren't expanded.

Reply #18
Great. That worked for a single folder. How can I open all the .cue files in a whole tree of folders. Each one is in a folder under
artist/album/blah.cue - with a .wav file and jpgs etc

I tried opening the folders at the top level, but foobar doesnt traverse the tree and process each cue file so the variables aren't expanded.
The easiest way is probably just to open the parent tree in Windows Explorer and type *.cue in the Search bar, then drag them all into a playlist in foobar.
Alternatively, in foobar set 'Preferences > Media Library >File types: Restrict to'  to '*.cue', then Add a music folder. Drag all the albums into a playlist and then process the same way you just did.

I've only tried it on a couple of albums at once so I wouldn't process them all in one bulk operation (at least until you have more confidence in it), and always have a backup.

Reply #19
The easiest way is probably just to open the parent tree in Windows Explorer and type *.cue in the Search bar, then drag them all into a playlist in foobar.
That worked!

Alternatively, in foobar set 'Preferences > Media Library >File types: Restrict to'  to '*.cue', then Add a music folder. Drag all the albums into a playlist and then process the same way you just did.
Couldn't get that to work

I've only tried it on a couple of albums at once so I wouldn't process them all in one bulk operation (at least until you have more confidence in it), and always have a backup.
I did 7 albums. I did both move and a copy.

Thanks!

Reply #20
So, it turns out the foobar ignores discnumber from external cue files which is not very helpful for handling multi-cd albums with each CD is a subfolder. Really wish cuetools had a copy everything to the destination option or a script...

Reply #21
continuing the discussion from https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122832.new.html#new

@SimBun's suggestion is to use the wav file, not the cue file as the source of the tags for foobar2000k. This is done by using mp3tag to write DISCNUMBER and TOTALDISCS into the .wav file and then foobar2000 will read the tags from the .wav file and these variables can be used in the file operations.  Thank you @SimBun !

The file pattern I want to use is
%album artist%/['['%date%'] - ' ]%album%/[%discnumber%]/%filename%

To make this work fully, the other tags will need to be written into the .wav file as well.

Interesting to note that I have written a discnumber into the .wav file using mp3tag. Foobar2000k reads the wav file and the discnumber is set correctly. It also works in the file operations pattern above. However, the discnumber is not listed in file->properties or in the folder view - I'm showing '#', 'Part of set', and 'Disc', but nothing is listed! Where is it??

Reply #22
Is this supposed to be in the CUETools thread and not continuing here?

It looks like foobar reads the tags from the CUE sheet OR the file, not both, so adding discnumber to the wav file hasn't helped you there.

If everything you need is in the CUE sheet can't you just script it? I don't like windows scripting but it can't be that difficult.

Reply #23
This thread is probably already more confusing than anyone would want, but I just had to jump in to say that foobar2000 combines the metadata from cue and the actual referenced media file and will handle the discnumber tags just fine.
That is actually the preferred and correct way to tag any disc wide custom data like this. CUE sheet supports only very basic metadata on its own but someone started abusing REM comments and pretended them to be tags.

It sounds like the missing data @dpr is wondering about is missing in Windows' File Explorer. Explorer can show some metadata from WAVs but doesn't understand these fields.

Reply #24
This thread is probably already more confusing than anyone would want, but I just had to jump in to say that foobar2000 combines the metadata from cue and the actual referenced media file and will handle the discnumber tags just fine.

That's promising ...I was selected the wav file and the cue file in foobar2000 and it loaded the tags from both as expected. discnumber being set from the .wav file = 6. See screenshot

But, the file operations preview shows discnumber being ignored...see second screenshot.
The filename pattern used is [%year% - ]%artist%\%album\[%discnumber]\%filename%

It sounds like the missing data @dpr is wondering about is missing in Windows' File Explorer. Explorer can show some metadata from WAVs but doesn't understand these fields.
yes, let's ignore this issue.