Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC-git Releases (Code Base v1.4.x) (Read 28400 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: FLAC-git Releases (Code Base v1.4.x)

Reply #102
Just so thrilled to see new builds again 🥲

Reply #104
Using this version on a somewhat older windows pc using commandline,
flac -8e --no-padding

WARNING, cannot set number of threads: multithreading was not enabled during compilation of this binary

Reply #105
Current git brakes multithreading here completely also.
Code: [Select]
    Version string : reference libFLAC git-37ca8113 20240306

Compiler is GCC : ......................... yes
    GCC version : ............................. 13.2.0
    Asm optimizations : ....................... yes
    Ogg/FLAC support : ........................ yes
    Multithreading   : ........................ no
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #106
That is strange, I have no such problems. Not on Windows (MinGW64) nor on Linux.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #107
It is the m-ab_s build that compiles without threads. I've tested that, but not an independent build. I'll do that shortly.

This separate build (64 bit, AVX2 optimised) was built with threads enabled:

https://www.rarewares.org/files/lossless/flac-1.4.3-git-37ca8113-20240307.zip

Reply #109
the m-ab_s build
What is that?
Media-AutoBuild_Suite - for building audio and video encoders/decoders and, ultimately, ffmpeg and mpv. It uses configure for the flac build.

Reply #111
Corrected in todays git.

Reply #113
I just built the current git version.  Multi-threading works for me.

Linux x86_64, GCC 12.3.0
flac git-8d4ccdfb 20240308

Reply #114
Not here.
Ops, sorry. No idea what exe files i copied from where for the former test. Recent git indeed still brakes multithreading here.
    Version string : reference libFLAC git-8a685ee7 20240307
    Multithreading   : ........................ no

Maybe this is related: https://github.com/xiph/flac/commit/0c8afdf35aef9004d013c440bc75b8b77f8f4c26

Reply #115
Well, the build I made at "Reply #107" was from the git of March 7 cloned a few minutes before the time of the post, and threading worked at that point. The m-ab_s build doesn't use cmake and I have no idea whether other build systems default to multithreading, I'm guessing not.

Reply #116
I encountered this problem as well.  The pthread libraries had recently been updated in MSYS2 so I downgraded to the prior version and configure enabled multithreading as expected.  Cmake had no such problem with the latest pthread.

Reply #117
I encountered this problem as well.  The pthread libraries had recently been updated in MSYS2 so I downgraded to the prior version and configure enabled multithreading as expected.  Cmake had no such problem with the latest pthread.
Ah, OK, I guess that explains it. I make use of the MSYS64 install that m-ab_s uses for general GCC compiles but use the cmake build for FLAC.

Reply #118
There seems to be a problem with the latest winpthread in msys2 indeed. One function used by the autotools pthread macro results in an error, making configure think pthread is not available.

Here is the macro documentation that FLAC uses: https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_pthread.html

And here is the error that is in config.log
C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/13.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: C:\msys64\tmp\ccdJznhh.o:conftest.c:(.text+0x8c): undefined reference to `MemoryBarrier'

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Perhaps it is best to leave it for now, as it seems that this is a bug in msys2 that will probably be fixed.

For anyone wanting a quick fix, go to m4/ax_pthread.m4 in the FLAC source directory, and replace lins 331-333
                        pthread_attr_init(&attr);
                        pthread_cleanup_push(routine, 0);
                        pthread_cleanup_pop(0) /* ; */])],

With the following
                        pthread_attr_init(&attr)/* ; */])],
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #119
Many thanks! I rolled back winpthreads from r652 to r631 and multithreading is back.

Reply #121
FLAC git-d2b24410 20240309
Built on March 09, 2024, GCC 13.2.0
(Code Base : 1.4.3)
Seems like Msys2 current winpthreads r655 still has the multithreading bug.
I did a working generic git x64 compile for testing. I never started a win32 enviroment, sorry.

Reply #122
Anyone want to try FLAC for ARM64? (a.k.a. aarch64/ARMv8).  Not compatible with Android ARMv8.

FLAC git-49ab34df
GCC 12.3.0