Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: what are the small blue lines above 20hz (Read 4091 times) previous topic - next topic

what are the small blue lines above 20hz

what are the small blue lines above 20hz on the first file?
Is it a good thing to be more prominent?

Re: what are the small blue lines above 20hz

Reply #1
Clipping. Your source (input) was very loud.
Most people (including myself) leave 1-1.5 dB of headroom to avoid this.
However, there should be no audible problems.
You can fix this by using foobar2000's ReplayGain tool to reduce volume. (No quality loss)
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #2
Clipping. Your source (input) was very loud.
You can fix this by using foobar2000's ReplayGain tool to reduce volume. (No quality loss)

so looking at this song?  Is this all clipping over 20 khz?  Any chance it is intentional?

Reply #4
You can go-up to half of the sample rate, so with a sample rate of 44.1kHz the audio can go up to 22,050 Hz. 

Of course if the audio is already clipped reducing the volume won't remove the distortion.  ;)

If your original file is 0dB normalized the MP3 often goes over 0dB (because lossy MP3 compression changes the wave shape).   For that reason some people leave headroom if they are making an MP3.   But MP3 can go over 0dB without clipping so it's not actually clipped... yet...   Some MP3 decoders will clip the decoded MP3 and some won't, but if it goes over 0dB and you play it at "full digital volume" you WILL clip your DAC.  (As far as I know this slight-clipping has never been shown to be audible.)

Reply #5
Of course if the audio is already clipped reducing the volume won't remove the distortion.  ;)

English is not my primary language and I apologize if I misunderstand you.
I guess what you wanted to say is that if audio is clipped/distorted in the first place, changing the volume is not going to help it at all.
It will still remain "shitty". That is 100% correct. :)

Here I was talking specifically about airtas' problem. (Over 0 dB)
I will include two pictures. Before and after.
You should probably upgrade to newer (forked) version of Spek btw.
gold plated toslink fan

Reply #6

I guess what you wanted to say is that if audio is clipped/distorted in the first place, changing the volume is not going to help it at all.

so thin blue is clipping and more prominent blue could be normal non clipped music?

Reply #7

so thin blue is clipping and more prominent blue could be normal non clipped music?

The result of clipping is new high frequency noise.  If you have moderate clipping, you'll get brief bursts of noise and so thin lines on the time/frequency plot.  If you have very heavy clipping, you'll get continuous noise and so wider lines. 

In most CD files, anything above 20 KHz is likely to be clipping.