Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar won't open results from Windows Search... (Read 1644 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar won't open results from Windows Search...

Hi! I'm new here and, I apologize if this is covered somewhere else but, I couldn't find anything.

foobar2000 v1.5.1; Windows 10 Insider, Build 19041.1...

foobar won't open results from the Start Menu.

Re: foobar won't open results from Windows Search...

Reply #1
Works for me.
Check your default apps for file associations at Settings / Apps / Default apps
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #2
I decided to give it a try just to see and does not work for me.
Windows 10 Pro version 1903. foobar2000 v1.5.1
The default music player was set to foobar2000 and I verified the file type associations were also set to foobar2000 for all file types tested. Works OK in File Explorer and opens foobar2000 as expected.
foobar2000 does not open when I try to click or open a file found in the taskbar Search (WIN+S). I also have MediaInfo installed and that program opens instead of foobar2000.
If I change the default music player (and verify file type associations) to Groove Music, Groove Music opens when I try to click or open a file from the taskbar Search.
If I change the default music player (and verify file type associations) to Media Player, Media Player opens when I try to click or open a file from the taskbar Search.
If I change the default music player (and verify file type associations) back to foobar2000, MediaInfo opens instead of foobar2000 when I try to click or open a file from the taskbar Search.
I tried multiple file types (flac, ape, mp3, opus, etc.).
Tested on 2 other systems with similar software installed and they act the same way. MediaInfo opens instead of foobar2000 when I click on or try to open a file from the taskbar Search.
korth

Reply #3
Works for me (W10P 1909, fb2k 1.5.1), but the option "Always use this app to open .FLAC files" does not stick.

Reply #4
Works for me (W10P 1909, fb2k 1.5.1), but the option "Always use this app to open .FLAC files" does not stick.

Same with me, fb2k 1.5.1. win10 1909. that option doesn't stick but clicking OK opens searched file in foobar normally.
Also I have disabled Groove music completely as it wouldn't let foobar to be default app in the past win10 versions.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #5
I've been fooling around with this for 2 days, I don't know what the heck is wrong with it!
Windows 10 is dickered!!!
A couple times, clicking on a result opened OneDrive folder, so I uninstalled OneDrive, now a result kicks me to the web!!!
Stupid thing is, it even shows the location of the file right in the Start Menu!!!
I have a reasonable suspicion it's an indexing issue...
will keep investigating...

Reply #6
UPDATE:
Okay, forget the OneDrive thing, that was just a small part of it!
However,
any result from the Start Menu will open in:
• MediaMonkey,
• WinAmp,
• MPC-BE,
• Windows Media Player,
• VLC,
but NOT in foobar2000!
(all associations set each time for each test!)

BUT, any results from an alternative start menu, Start10 in my case, WILL open in foobar2000!

Sumpthin weird goin on with Windows UWP features!
Still an issue but I can work around it!
Thanks for the replies.

Reply #7
I've worked out my issue with MediaInfo. The option "Always use this app to open..." also does not stick for foobar. Always asks now.
korth

Reply #8
Check if there is a shortcut to the app in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs . I was having the same issue and making a shortcut here solved it for me. Hope this helps.