Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54 (Read 273469 times) previous topic - next topic

Game Emu Player (foo_gep) by kode54

Reply #200
It is an effect that GEP adds, similar to the other interpolation methods.

Reply #201
Does anyone notice that when playing HES files, left and right channels are swapped? I noticed that when I play my favorite R-TYPE music.
I have foobar2000 0.9.5.1 + gep 1.5 and foobar2000 1.1.7 + gep 1.123, the one for 0.9.5.1 plays the files correctly.

Reply #202
Fixed that now.

Reply #203
Thanks for the update!

Reply #204
Does Anyone notice that when playing the Magical Chase GB,Melody isn't Working Like NEZ I Have Foobar2000 1.1.1 and The GEP 1.124 play the file correctly

Reply #205
Um, what? So you're saying the latest version of foo_gep (that is, 1.124) works properly with foobar2000 1.1.1? Well, that's not my problem.

Reply #206
Hi.

I'm not sure when this changed, but I noticed today that some nsf music has a really poppy drum on them (Batman, TMNT2: Arcade Game).
I googled around and found out that it has something to do with "$4011 register" or something like that. Any chance you might implement an option to disable that? I think NSFPlay and NotSoFatSo both have it as well.

Still love the plugin though.
made of radiation

Reply #207
Hi.

I'm not sure when this changed, but I noticed today that some nsf music has a really poppy drum on them (Batman, TMNT2: Arcade Game).
I googled around and found out that it has something to do with "$4011 register" or something like that. Any chance you might implement an option to disable that? I think NSFPlay and NotSoFatSo both have it as well.

Still love the plugin though.

Any chance for this?
I've been using the standalone NSFplay in the meantime, but I miss my NSFe playlists and times.
made of radiation

Reply #208
I could do that, but there may be rips that may actually use it properly. Of course, for it to even be useful from a NSF file, the NSF has to employ hacks from either its init or play routines to never return, so it can execute cycle timed PCM playback code.

Reply #209
Wouldn't a toggle make sense then? If there are rips out there that need it, it shouldn't be too hard for a user to turn it back on (or leave it always on if they want). Is it possible to use custom keyboard shortcuts with components, that would be a fast way to toggle it. Plop it in the GEP Control window?

I obviously have no idea what would actually be the best approach, all I know is that for me it makes some full soundtracks completely unlistenable.
made of radiation

Reply #210
I made it a configuration option, default enabled. There's probably not any NSF files that even use that register properly. Even, for instance, if there were an NSF of the Battletoads PCM sounds, they would need to employ hacks to never return from either one of the play or init functions, to facilitate cycle timed code that runs throughout sound generation, instead of just 60 times per second.

Reply #211
Thanks man, everything sounds great again.
made of radiation

Reply #212
Hate to bug you again already, but I noticed couple of things that may or may not worth a mention.

Firstly, it doesn't seem like the NSFe playlist option works. Regardless of the checkbox, the playlists seem to be always ignored. The playlist shows up in the playlist editor just fine, but doesn't seem to be used when the file is loaded.

Another thing which I found a little strange is that if the playback override is unchecked from GEP control, a lot of tracks in this Kirby's Adventure NSFe start with a pop (Green Greens, Boss, The Moon, Nightmare etc).
If I check playback override, but leave channels and tempo to their defaults, the starting pop goes away from every song.
made of radiation

Reply #213
NSFE playlists only affect which subsong tracks appear when you first add the NSFE to a playlist. It doesn't control the order they appear in, as they tend to get sorted by the resulting subsong numbers by the player itself. Doing it any other way would fix the playlist orders, but would result in invalid subsongs in a playlist if you ever toggle the option, as I have no way to force playlists to replace the entire batch of tracks added by the NSFE with the newly modified list of tracks.

As for GEP control adding or removing a pop sound, besides allowing for channel muting, it also disables silence detection, which normally removes any leading silence from a track, and also ends playback if so many seconds worth of silence are detected.

Reply #214
Alright, that makes sense.
made of radiation

Reply #215
I just re-installed foobar 2000 to listen to some old music but it does not quite sound like i remembered it. I managed to find an old MP3 from 2006-ish of two of the tunes and upon listening to them both i DO find that the older version has more headroom and "bounce". So i did a quick rip of the output to mp3 to ask, is it just me or has something changed drastically to make the sound more flat? I haven't played the game in 15 years or so and that TV had downright horrible speakers (and i lost the cartridge) , so i wont even pretend that i can say which is the most accurate.
These links will be availible for a month or so STRICTLY FOR COMPARSION OF AUDIO QUALLITY, they will then be deleted, please dont murder me copyright holders!
http://zxz.se/q/Fora/Seiken%20Densetsu%202...Taught%20Me.mp3
http://zxz.se/q/Fora/NEW.%20Hiroki%20Kikut...Taught%20Me.mp3

http://zxz.se/q/Fora/NEW.%20Hiroki%20Kikut...%20Together.mp3
http://zxz.se/q/Fora/Seiken%20Densetsu%202...%20Together.mp3

Didn't GEP use some SPC playback called NoEcho or something like that waaaay back?

Reply #216
The ones you prefer are both significantly (7dB and 3dB, respectively, for each pair) louder than the ones you don't.

However, after adjusting for that, I can ABX a difference, and I agree, I prefer the old version. I hear more reverb and more top-end.

Reply #217
foo_gep never produced a signal that loud, or at that frequency. Are you sure you didn't use foo_snesapu or something similar to that?

Reply #218
foo_gep never produced a signal that loud, or at that frequency. Are you sure you didn't use foo_snesapu or something similar to that?

Sadly I must admit that i am not sure which player was used, i think it was foo2k but since I am pretty sure the spc engine inside the plugin was called NoEcho i conclude that my memory is probably failing me. The harddrive i used back then and the backup both failed shortly after one another (the backup was one of the venerable Seagate 7200.11, Google it...) so i can not check. I thank you for your time though and for a very handy plugin.

Reply #219
Hello, I tried to play Master System VGM file (FM version, not PSG). But it failed, it just produce strange sound.

Reply #221
Yeah, wow, that was totally broken. Fixed by the application of a single memset. Enjoy.

Reply #222
Yeah, wow, that was totally broken. Fixed by the application of a single memset. Enjoy.

Eyy Kode54  TY so much for your work, updates, bug fixing
I am able to Enjoy the Video Game Music I love so much  ;;^_^;;

Reply #223
The most recent update for foo_gep adding support for the vgm v1.61? spec and the RF5C164 chip from the Sega CD has update finally gave me ability to ditch Winamp/in_vgm.

I hate to make a request and to repert a new issue, but I would think I wouldn't need to see updates for this plugin if it added support for the Sega PWM (from the 32X). Afaik all it was used as a percussion channel.

The new issue I have found I don't know how to describe, but the dump of the Sega CD BIOS from Project 2612, has numerous audio glitches. I'll update my post in a bit when I can describe the issues better.

Reply #224
It does support the PWM, but only through the PWM register. Compacted PWM VGMs don't actually use PWM emulation. Instead, they use a high level DAC control interface that supports writing buffered commands to many of the supported chip types.

Fixed the BIOS glitch and also implemented DAC streaming control support for those PWM rips.