Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac.exe tags are not added to files (Read 3131 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac.exe tags are not added to files

Hello,

Sorry for the noob question.

I'm switching from EAC to CUERipper, but I'd like to use FLAC v1.3.1.

I've put FLAC.exe into CUETools folder and set parameters like this:

-%M -P %P - -o %O -8 -V -T "artist=%artist%" -T "title=%title%" -T "album=%albumtitle%" -T "date=%year%" -T "tracknumber=%tracknr%" -T "genre=%genre%"

Extraction & conversion work, but the generated FLACs have no tags.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Flac.exe tags are not added to files

Reply #1
You cannot tag via the external encoder parameters. CUETools/CUERipper use taglib-sharp internally for tagging FLAC.
Tagging is performed last after all files are written.
korth

Reply #2
To replace FLAC version - for every encode then! - isn't it better just to replace the libflac?

Can "libFLAC_dynamic.dll" in the plugins\x64 or plugins\win32 folder be replaced by a renamed libFLAC.dll from the official xiph - or does one have to use an older CUETools download?

Reply #5
(Barough seems to be confusing flac.exe with libflac. Read c72578's posts about changing the dll.)

I wouldn't say that since you can also use flac.exe for encoding with CUETools/CUERipper. The official Xiph flac,exe isn't static linked so it depends on external dll to work. Could have wrote more in the post in question but that's in the past. ;)

Reply #6
The title of the issue was "Update libFLAC to 1.4.x". Recommending exe download links to update libflac seemed off-topic.
korth

Reply #7
The title of the issue was "Update libFLAC to 1.4.x". Recommending exe download links to update libflac seemed off-topic.

Better to cover everything. ;)

Reply #8
You cannot tag via the external encoder parameters. CUETools/CUERipper use taglib-sharp internally for tagging FLAC.
Well, thank you for the confirmation. Indeed, I found later on the wiki:
Arguments for external encoder executable (Encoding parameters only. Please refer to the encoder's documentation for more info about usage parameters.).

To replace FLAC version - for every encode then! - isn't it better just to replace the libflac?

Can "libFLAC_dynamic.dll" in the plugins\x64 or plugins\win32 folder be replaced by a renamed libFLAC.dll from the official xiph - or does one have to use an older CUETools download?
That's a good idea, I'll try if replacing with an older dll from CUETools v2.1.6 works.

@SoulRipper wrote "1.3.1" and you may have been right in assuming it was a typo?
It wasn't a typo. For some reason, my old hardware player doesn't do well with FLAC versions above 1.3.1...

Reply #9
For some reason, my old hardware player doesn't do well with FLAC versions above 1.3.1...
Weird. There were very few changes up to 1.3.2 (changelog at https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html);
But, there was an issue - on certain chipsets - with CUETools' libflacs versions 1.3.3 and 1.3.2 - see https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,120750.0.html and https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=117421.0 . So you may try the new CUETools build with 1.4 and see if the problem just goes away.
And if it doesn't: if you are in the mood for experimenting: take a file that might be troublesome and re-encode it with lower lpc order. For example, giving the command-line
flac -8f -l10 filename.flac
reduces the complexity from LPC order 12 (that -8 sets) to 10. I don't know if the LPC order has anything to do with your problems, but that is one of the very few changes from flac 1.3.1 to 1.3.2: a different algorithm for guessing what LPC order to apply.

Reply #10
It wasn't a typo. For some reason, my old hardware player doesn't do well with FLAC versions above 1.3.1...
This would be of great interest to me. Could you please elaborate?
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #11
And I didn't summon ktf here, assuming he got more than enough to do elsewhere ...

@SoulRipper, there is a FLAC "testbench" thread at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=121478.0 . The testbench includes quite a lot of FLAC files to be tested for playback. You mind firing them at your player while listening to it?

Reply #12
That's a good idea, I'll try if replacing with an older dll from CUETools v2.1.6 works.
CUETools 2.1.6 predates using "libFLAC_dynamic.dll" as a plugin.
I tried an old build from rarewares.org with minimal testing and it seems to work (at least in my tests).
libFLAC v.1.3.1
2014-11-28
libFLAC dll, ICL 14.0.4 compile - by John33
flac_dll-1.3.1-icl.zip win32
flac_dll-1.3.1-x64-icl.zip x64
korth

Reply #13

It would help be as well if there was an option to using a seperate executable and pass command line arguments as well.

Reply #14
It would help be as well if there was an option to using a seperate executable and pass command line arguments as well.
A separate executable can be added in CUETools - Settings - Encoders - Insert
See attached example.