Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need ID3 Tag editor recommendation for removing a few strings from ALL tag field (Read 2497 times) previous topic - next topic

Need ID3 Tag editor recommendation for removing a few strings from ALL tag field

Hello Eveyone!

I have been struggling with this for a past couple of days. I have tried the below options so far and I still haven't found any editor that meets my requirement which are:

1) Free editor program if it is possible, else something as cheap as possible.
2) I have multiple random words in my tag say, "ABC", "MNO", "XYZ" (either as sole words or a part of field value which should be retained) etc spread across multiple fields within most of my mp3 and flac collection.
3) The editor should be able to take multiple inputs in one go and remove all those strings in all the tags possible.

Below are the programs I tried so far:

1) Bulk Rename utility - This doesn't let me edit tags
2) MP3 Tag - No option to input a bunch of strings in one go, if all else fails, I will probably resort to remove all 70+ strings manually using this program
3) Renamer - I found that this is good for names but not ID3 tags
4) Tag Scanner - I haven't been able to get the preview to work, preview-log page is blank and layout is honestly so different than most windows programs
5) MP3 Tag and Replace Software - Looks like only one option that meets my requirements but free version is not useful for me
6) MediaMonkey - Installed Regex scripts and SQLViewer extensions but they don't quite meet my needs.
7) Foobar - Masstagger - Doesn't allow replacing strings with "Null" or plain remove.
8) Foobar - Tagbox - Similar to what BRU offers in terms of being able to rename file name to Title and no other tags.

I looked into NPM packages and regex and honestly, it was what beyond my level of comfort with scripting if it is even possible.

Again, I'm looking for a program that is:

1) Free
2) For Windows

As I said above, if all else fails, I will have to do it one string at a time, which I don't mind but I'm trying to find a smarter way of there is one. I know there is a paid version but the way I see it, if paid versions exists, most likely there is an open-source version too.

Thank You!!

Edit: I will continue to try various other freeware editors and post an update if I end up finding the solution. But, I also hope, someone has found the solution already and that they would share it. :)

Re: Need ID3 Tag editor recommendation for removing a few strings from ALL tag field

Reply #1
Foobar - Masstagger - Doesn't allow replacing strings with "Null" or plain remove.
Actually it can do this. You need to use "Format value from other fields" together with function $replace For example $replace(%title%,blah,) will completely remove any occurrence of "blah" from title. You can format new value of field from old value of this field.

If field becomes empty, it will be removed completely.

Re: Need ID3 Tag editor recommendation for removing a few strings from ALL tag field

Reply #2
Foobar - Masstagger - Doesn't allow replacing strings with "Null" or plain remove.
Actually it can do this. You need to use "Format value from other fields" together with function $replace For example $replace(%title%,blah,) will completely remove any occurrence of "blah" from title. You can format new value of field from old value of this field.

If field becomes empty, it will be removed completely.

Ok, I shall give this a shot. Thank you! :)