Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot play DTS FLAC files over WASAPI after changing output (Read 2678 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot play DTS FLAC files over WASAPI after changing output

I play all my AC3 and DTS files digitally via f2k (v1.1) using optical/WASAPI output to my avr (foo_spdif and foo_out_WASAPI installed) onj Windows 7 Home OS. Have not had an issue until now.

I recently created a set of DTS 96/24 dts.wav files with Surcode (then compressed to .flac, as I always do) that initially played perfectly.  Their 'properties' show as 48kHz/24 bit.  Again, they played correctly when I first tried them.  Then I needed to switch the foobar output to "WASAPI:speakers' instead of 'digital' for a short project.  Then a few days later having finished that, I switched settings back to WASAPI digital. But now when I try to play the DTS .flac files I just made, I get this message

Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 24-bit / 6 channels

I double checked  that I had set the output back to WASAPI: Digital  (the usual setting)  and for good measure I made sure my laptop's own default audio output was set to Realtek digital.

Here is another weird thing:  DTS flac files whose properties show as 48kHz/16 bit still play fine (iand if they are DTS 96/24 my AVR displays 96/24, as it should, confirming to me the output is bit-perfect)

What the heck happened, and how can I fix it???

Cannot play DTS FLAC files over WASAPI after changing output

Reply #1
Ah, never mind.  I went back to the .wav files and just re-compressed them to .flac, using f2k this time instead of AudioMuxer.  Now they show as 16 bit and play correctly.

Mods, you can delete this thread at will.