Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Seeking ABX software for Mac OS X (Read 27848 times) previous topic - next topic

Seeking ABX software for Mac OS X

I have been looking for a decent ABX application for OS X for close to a year now, but still have not found any.

These are the two applications I have found so far:
* Java ABC/HR 0.4b. Work pretty good, but crash almost every time it plays to the end of a song.
Its also making some nasty popping noise when I switch audio streams.
* MacABX 1.0. Just to simple for my taste.
Unable to stop playback, cant select a part of the song to playback.

I know Java ABC/HR 0.5a is out. But since it requires JRE 1.5, which is not released for Mac OS X yet, I am unable to test it!

So do anybody know if there are other alternatives out there?

Thanks! 

Reply #1
I know Java ABC/HR 0.5a is out. But since it requires JRE 1.5, which is not released for Mac OS X yet, I am unable to test it!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you give  [a href="http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro2.zip]this[/url] a try? It's a retroweaved version of ABC/HR-Java 0.5a. You have to select "Java Sound Audio Engine" in the playback settings before playing sound. If you still encounter these crashes at the end of a sample, I'd appreciate it if you could run it from a console and tell me about any error messages that appear. Thanks.

Reply #2
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you give  [a href="http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro.zip]this[/url] a try? It's a retroweaved version of ABC/HR-Java 0.5a. You have to select "Java Sound Audio Engine" in the playback settings before playing sound. If you still encounter these crashes at the end of a sample, I'd appreciate it if you could run it from a console and tell me about any error messages that appear. Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287255"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems to work perfectly here!

Reply #3
I have tested the new version for 30 min. and have not had a single crash, so its definatelly more stable than the 0.4 version.

But I still have the same popping noise when I switch between the audio streams. Or is it supposed to be so?
Dont know how its on a Windows computer...

Another problem, which I also had in the 0.4 version is that I cant get it to take anything else than .wav files. Example; I have the flac executables in my path, but when I load up a .flac file the decode popup window stay up forever and nothing happends. Haven´t tried mp3 since I have not compiled and installed madplay yet.

Reply #4
Thanks, solaris and Busemann, for trying this out.

But I still have the same popping noise when I switch between the audio streams. Or is it supposed to be so?
Dont know how its on a Windows computer...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287276"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's because of the Java Sound software mixer. In 1.5 Java Sound can use native hardware mixers which have far less latency and don't have these clicking and popping noises. In JRE 1.4 these are not available, though. So, unfortunately, you'll have to wait for Apple's implementation of JRE 1.5 to get rid of these issues.

Another problem, which I also had in the 0.4 version is that I cant get it to take anything else than .wav files. Example; I have the flac executables in my path, but when I load up a .flac file the decode popup window stay up forever and nothing happends. Haven´t tried mp3 since I have not compiled and installed madplay yet.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287276"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you start ABC/HR-Java from a console ("java -jar abchr.jar") and see if it prints any error messages when you have it decode a file? That might help me find the problem. Thanks.

Reply #5
That's because of the Java Sound software mixer. In 1.5 Java Sound can use native hardware mixers which have far less latency and don't have these clicking and popping noises.
I understand.
There are rumours that Apple is going to release Mac OS 10.4 any day now, with Java 1.5. So a fix is close by. 
Could you start ABC/HR-Java from a console ("java -jar abchr.jar") and see if it prints any error messages when you have it decode a file?
I load up a .wav and a .flac or .mp3 file, then press "Start Test", exactly when the "Decoding Sample B" window pop up this lines appear in the Terminal (I have the flac and madplay executables in my path):
Code: [Select]
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String.replace(Ljava/lang/CharSequence;Ljava/lang/CharSequence;)Ljava/lang/String;
       at abchr.audio.CLIProcessor.process(Unknown Source)
       at abchr.audio.SampleFactory$Decoder.process(Unknown Source)
       at abchr.audio.SampleFactory.createSample(Unknown Source)
       at abchr.gui.ABXPanel$SampleLoader.run(Unknown Source)
       at abchr.gui.ABXPanel$4.construct(Unknown Source)
       at guiutils.SwingWorker$2.run(Unknown Source)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

Hope this error messages is for some help.
May it be because of the outdated Java version?

I´m ready for instructions if you need me to test some more! 

Reply #6
Hope this error messages is for some help.
May it be because of the outdated Java version?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, this was indeed quite helpful. You can get a fixed version [a href="http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro2.zip]here[/url]. These crashes appear when the code uses some method which didn't exist before JDK 1.5, so you might encounter some more of them (I haven't tested with 1.4). If you do, just tell me the error message, and I'll try to fix it.

Reply #7
There are rumours that Apple is going to release Mac OS 10.4 any day now, with Java 1.5.

It'll ship with 1.4.2 I'm afraid

Reply #8
Get it here.

Getting a 404 error.

Reply #9
Get it here.

Getting a 404 error.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287457"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Whoops. Fixed.

Reply #10
@schnofler. I picked up the last build, but still get an error message when it tries to decode flac or mp3 files.
It look pretty close to the previous one:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.util.Arrays.toString([Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/String;
       at abchr.audio.CLIProcessor.process(Unknown Source)

@Busemann. I sure hope you´re wrong, since we really need an updated Java version on Mac OS X!

Reply #11
Heh. Now, that's stupid. This new bug is actually caused by a line I put in there to test the fix for the last bug and then forgot to comment out.
Should work now. Get fixed version here.

Reply #12
We are getting closer. This time it dont crash, but displayed this error message.

Reply #13
OK, I'm not sure where this comes from. Maybe you could try again with this version? It won't fix the problem, but it might give some more information.

Reply #14
New output:
abchr.audio.DecodeFailedException: File /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac could not be decoded.
Call to flac failed.
javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: File /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac could not be decoded.
Call to flac failed.
So it cant find my flac executable.
I copied flac into the abchr-java directory, but that did not change anything either...

Perhaps its other Mac OS X users around here that can give it a go?

Edit: I should tell that both flac and madplay are working fine in Terminal

Reply #15
So it cant find my flac executable.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that's the problem. Anyway, I've built [a href="http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~bkuckuck/abchr-java-0.5a_retro5.zip]another version[/url], which prints the output of the CLI app to the console. Sorry for bothering you so much with testing my program. Your help is definitely appreciated.

Reply #16
I don't think that's the problem. Anyway, I've built another version, which prints the output of the CLI app to the console. Sorry for bothering you so much with testing my program. Your help is definitely appreciated.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287577"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No problem.
Its highly usable for me to get this fixed as well!

Here are the important parts of the output from the last build:
ERROR: -o/--output-name cannot be used with multiple files
Type "flac" for a usage summary or "flac --help" for all options
abchr.audio.DecodeFailedException: File /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac could not be decoded.
Call to flac failed.

---------------------

MPEG Audio Decoder 0.15.2 (beta) - Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Robert Leslie et al.
audio: "./abchrtemp/tmp5p6ez5.wav": No such file or directory
abchr.audio.DecodeFailedException: File /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.mp3 could not be decoded.
Call to madplay failed.

Reply #17
OK, here's another build.

Reply #18
Hmmm, this seems to be a hard one!   

cmdarray: flac -d -s -o abchrtemp/tmpetazke.wav "/Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac" 

Message_From_Silence.flac": ERROR initializing decoder
                           state = FLAC__FILE_DECODER_ERROR_OPENING_FILE

An error occurred opening the input file; it is likely that it does not exist
or is not readable.
Call to flac failed.

--------------------

cmdarray: madplay -o wave:abchrtemp/tmp9us65h.wav "/Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.mp3"
"/Users/krmathis/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.mp3": No such file or directory
abchr.audio.DecodeFailedException: File /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.mp3 could not be decoded.
Call to madplay failed.

Reply #19
Could you try executing the command lines ABC/HR uses (flac -d -s -o abchrtemp/tmpetazke.wav "/Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac" and madplay -o wave:abchrtemp/tmp9us65h.wav "/Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.mp3") manually in a console from the ABC/HR directory?

Reply #20
Could you try executing the command lines ABC/HR uses (flac -d -s -o abchrtemp/tmpetazke.wav "/Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac" and madplay -o wave:abchrtemp/tmp9us65h.wav "/Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.mp3") manually in a console from the ABC/HR directory?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287595"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

None of the command lines above work in Terminal, but these two work fine:
"flac -d -s -o abchrtemp/tmpetazke.wav /Users/**/Downloads/ABX\ Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac"
"madplay -o wave:abchrtemp/tmp9us65h.wav /Users/**/Downloads/ABX\ Testing/Message_From_Silence.mp3"

So the decoders dont accept "/folder name/filename.ext", but use /folder\ name/filename.ext instead?

Edit:
Still dont work if I move all the files to a directory without spaces.
cmdarray: madplay -o wave:abchrtemp/tmp9us65h.wav "/Users/krmathis/Downloads/1.mp3" 
"/Users/**/Downloads/1.mp3": No such file or directory
abchr.audio.DecodeFailedException: File /Users/**/Downloads/1.mp3 could not be decoded.
Call to madplay failed.
Even if the "madplay -o wave:abchrtemp/tmp9us65h.wav "/Users/**/Downloads/1.mp3"" command works fine

Reply #21
Aaah.. very good. I think we're getting close. This might actually work.

Reply #22
Aaah.. very good. I think we're getting close. This might actually work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287603"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
W O R K I N G ! 
Both flac and mp3 decoded,  offset correction, gain correction and playing just fine.

But its not 100% yet.
Its only working if I launch it from Terminal, not if I double-click the abchr.jar

Reply #23
W O R K I N G !  
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287611"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice.

Its only working if I launch it from Terminal, not if I double-click the abchr.jar
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287611"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's strange. Double-clicking the jar file should do exactly the same as starting it from a terminal, shouldn't it?

Reply #24
That's strange. Double-clicking the jar file should do exactly the same as starting it from a terminal, shouldn't it?
I thought so as well. But obviously there is some difference.

Could it be because this debug build is trying to write the output from the external decoders to the Terminal, which obviously is not running?