Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets (foo_facets) (Read 780887 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #650
@anamorphic I added an "Artist" column to the middle pane [in addition to the "Album" and "Date" columns]. Now, those two albums each have their own separate entries. This might only help for purposes of display? i.e. I use the IPod plugin, here, and noticed that I am having the same issue on my IPOD, one entry for both albums in Album view. I posted a similar question in that forum.  Do you know anything about this?

Reply #651
Sorry - I'm not familiar with how iDevices do anything, but it might recognize "Album Title Sort Order" / ALBUMSORTORDER tag (if foobar maps correctly to 'soal' as referenced for iTunes here) - if you want to try that method in my previous post.

Best of luck 8)

Reply #652
I have two instances of facets in separate UI elements, can anyone tell me how to make a selection in one instance affect another? Say I chose an artist in the first instance, it would show the artists albums in the second.

EDIT* I figure out I just had to set my album list element to playlist instead of library.

Reply #653
Does anybody know if it's possible to switch facets filters using keyboard shortcuts?  These are what I'm referring to:
https://i.imgur.com/9GVf8Sn.png
If I could assign keyboard shortcuts to each of those filters, it would be fantastic!  (I would expect the keyboard shortcut to switch between them when multiple filters is off, and apply / unapply them when multiple filters is on).

Reply #654
So is there currently any way to cache the album art with facets? I saw a few pages back that there was an alternative using jscript, but it's not for Facets. Facets pretty much works perfectly for what I do. If it can cache the album art, it would be perfect.

Reply #655
Does anybody know if there are keyboard shortcuts to switch between filters?  I'm on the brink of resorting to pyautogui, I really want a way to do this.

Reply #656
PyAutoGUI doesn't work on multiple monitors so I gave up and used autohotkey.

Reply #657
PyAutoGUI doesn't work on multiple monitors so I gave up and used autohotkey.
Do you mind to share your AHK Script(s) and maybe a smallish how-to?
I'm curious if it will be easy to use *and* easy to set up.
(I know AHK a little, but never get into the depths of it)

Reply #658
Hi all! Once again, I am installing Foobar on a new Windows 10 Pro x64 PC. [Well, 1st time on a 64-bit PC] I just got Facets installed. Three columns, left to right, Artist, Album, and Track. I figured out how to enlarge the album artwork. I would love any feedback, advice, etc. This PC has a lot of fire power and I want to take advantage of it. I also added a SSD which I use for data including all of my music.

Reply #659
Q: In Facets I want the albums sorted by release year. How do I do this? i.e. I click on "All" in the artist column and the albums do appear in this order.

Reply #660
Hi.  You can find some info on facets by going to the main Foobar web page and clicking on the components tab.  Find Facets in the component list, select it, then select Documentation from the Facets page.  As far as sorting goes, you need to add the date column to one of your Facet panes.  For example, I have three panes.  One with artist, one with album, date and rating and one with track/title.  Of course your music files will need to be tagged correctly for this to work.  You may need to go into the Foobar preferences for Facets and add the date column to make it available.  I've added several new columns over the years and I'm not sure which ones were already present.  Just as a suggestion, I also have a second Facets element under a separate Foobar tab with four panes.  One with genre, one with artist, one with artist, album, date and rating and one with track/title.  I hope this helps.

Reply #661
Q: In Facets I want the albums sorted by release year. How do I do this? i.e. I click on "All" in the artist column and the albums do appear in this order.
This should be the main facet element :
Preferences > Media Library > Facets > Add New column "Year" with  $if(%date%,$substr(%date%,1,4),' ')

Facets > right-click on the top bar >
Columns > tick "album" "album artist"
Display > tick "Album Art (bottom labels)" and "summary item" and "front"

Then click on the new "Year" column you created to sort by year. Another click will sort the opposite direction.

Reply #662
This should be the main facet element :
Preferences > Media Library > Facets > Add New column "Year" with  $if(%date%,$substr(%date%,1,4),' ')

Then click on the new "Year" column you created to sort by year. Another click will sort the opposite direction.
Thanks! Q: The above is isolating the year? What if I want the entire "date"?

Reply #663
@TheEmpathicEar , If you want the entire date replace the last pattern with $if2(%date%,' ')

Reply #664
-snip-

-snip-
Thx very much for all your time and effort!

This is what I did by default I guess. I think on my previous PC, I might have found some way to sort the "album" column by "date" w/o actually adding the column "date". Maybe. Or maybe not. In any case, I now see the album names and years just below the album artwork. This I definitely remember.
EDIT: What would be nice is if there was "Sort by..." function that would allow a sort w/o the field actually appearing?

Reply #666

EDIT: What would be nice is if there was "Sort by..." function that would allow a sort w/o the field actually appearing?

Prefs>FACETS>Library Default Sort Order
Instead of %path_sort%, I would use %date% or %year%? Would this affect the way artists or tracks are displayed? i.e. Now they are sorted alphabetically

Reply #667
Hi I hope this is right place to post this.  I am mostly a MAC person but have my media on a windows 10 box.  I am trying to decide between winamp and foobar2000.  I really like the minimalist foobar2000.  This might be either an FAQ or a really stupid one.

All I want to do is use facet as my "search" engine and then use it to build playlists.  When I find the songs I want to add to a playlist I right-click and if I "send to new playlist" it takes the window I have for foobar and completely replaces it with the songs I've selected.  If I "add to playback queue" it goes somewhere to be played but I don't know how to bring that queue up?

There must be some way to have a list that I can build using facets as a search and filtering engine that just adds to a working playlist which presumably I can then edit and save as an m3u ....

I have another easy one but will post separately.

Thanks!!

gordon

Reply #668
OK second newbie question.

MP3tag reads my music directory and finds 6695 songs.  Foobar2000 finds the same number.  When I go in to facets and click ALL artists and ALL albums it only lists 5635 titles.  I thought this was because it was ignoring songs with missing in these 3 variables so I took out the "[]" from the variable lists in the preferences.  No fix.

I figure there must be some variable that facets is screening or is there a difference between TITLES and TRACKS? because technically facets says 5635 TITLES and the main window says 6695 tracks.   I definitely don't have 1000 songs with missing titles

Many thanks

Reply #669
Sounds like matching titles.

Reply #670
Sounds like matching titles.
I think I had an example of this? I had two albums, "Greatest Hits", same year,but different artists. And, they were "merged" either in Facets or my iPod or both.

Reply #671
All I want to do is use facet as my "search" engine and then use it to build playlists.  When I find the songs I want to add to a playlist I right-click and if I "send to new playlist" it takes the window I have for foobar and completely replaces it with the songs I've selected.
Hi there,

Yes, foobar only shows one playlist at a time. The 'Send to' options create a new playlist and switch to it.

Therefore it helps if your layout has a way to switch playlists - could be Playlist Tabs, Playlist Manager, or Playlist Switcher on a toolbar.

Review your click settings in Preferences > Media Library > Facets. It sounds like maybe you want 'Selection action' (i.e. Single-click) on 'None', and 'Double-click action' or 'Middle-click action' on 'Add to current playlist'. Experiment to see what works best. (It depends a bit on your layout, maybe you want to drag and drop items instead...)

If I "add to playback queue" it goes somewhere to be played but I don't know how to bring that queue up?

The queue is used to insert a track to be played next, overriding the playback order (Shuffle, etc). The queue itself is normally hidden, unless tracks are queued from the playlist where there is an indicator in the 'Playing' column.

You can add component Queue Contents Editor if needed.

MP3tag reads my music directory and finds 6695 songs.  Foobar2000 finds the same number.  When I go in to facets and click ALL artists and ALL albums it only lists 5635 titles.

Make sure the Filter button is off and you have not typed anything in the search bar.

You were correct about removing square brackets. If using 'Multiple Columns' in one pane (i.e. Album, Date), if either tags are missing they will not be listed when square brackets are used.

When you right-click any of the ALL fields and open Properties, how many tracks does it say in the Properties title bar? (Make sure you hit Cancel afterwards ;) ).

It should be the same as Library > Album List reports.

Cheers

Reply #672
@nodrog , Let's say you want a facet-panel to show all tracks with rows showing the artist name and the number of tracks by it.
You should use 2 colums.
Creating the "second" column is simple : right-click >  statistics > items.
For the "first" column - If you use %artist% then you will get just the tracks which have a value in %artist%. If you want the panel to show ALL TRACKS then you should "tell" the facets plugin to return a space (or for example the string "missing") if the track has no artist. So instead of %artist% use $if2(%artist%,' ') or even better use $if2($meta(artist),' ')

To understand why $meta(artist) is "better" than %artist% read here :
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Title_Formatting_Reference#.25artist.25

Here are some examples for column patterns for facets :

Preferences > Media Library > Facets  > Columns > Add New

Artist - $if2($meta(artist),' ')
Album Artist - $if2($meta(album artist),' ')
Title - $if2($meta(title),' ')

Genre - $if2(%genre%,' ')
Track Year - $if(%date%,$substr(%date%,1,4),' ')
Added Year - $year(%added%)

Decade :
$if($and($greater(%date%,1940),$not($greater(%date%,2099))),$select($sub($substr(%date%,1,3),194),_50''s,_60''s,_70''s,_80''s,_90''s,00''s,10''s,20''s,30''s,2k40''s,2k50''s,2k60''s,2k70''s,2k80''s,2k90''s),%date%)

Reply #673
I created a view using Faucets and it looked pretty much how I wanted it to look, until I added the Length field.

Basically, the only detail I want to see is the Artists and the Albums.  If I add the Length field, it'll show me detail for every track.

Is there a way to only show the length of the entire album?

Also, does Facets support something like If a file exists, do this, or if not, do something else?

Reply #674
Is there a way to only show the length of the entire album?
You have to use Statistics columns. Right-click on Album header > Statistics menu > Duration.

(I answered a similar question in more detail over on Reddit)