Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Listening test diagrams (Read 5949 times) previous topic - next topic

Listening test diagrams

How are the listening test diagrams produced?
I understand them, but I am unable to find how to generate them in my spreadsheet.

Listening test diagrams

Reply #1
How are the listening test diagrams produced?
I understand them, but I am unable to find how to generate them in my spreadsheet.

ff123 and I use Excel.

You can check out the spreadsheet I used for the latest test here:
http://pessoal.onda.com.br/rjamorim/plots.zip

(please ignore the comments, they are from a former test)

Listening test diagrams

Reply #2
Thank you.
Unfortunately this is a good proof that Excel is still superior to OOo. It doesn't work at all here...

Listening test diagrams

Reply #3
Unfortunately this is a good proof that Excel is still superior to OOo.

its a proof that ms fileformats are way to proprietary, if you're talking about importing ^^

Listening test diagrams

Reply #4
its a proof that ms fileformats are way to proprietary, if you're talking about importing ^^

I think that regarding those graphs, the problem lies in functionnalities. I can not generate this kind of graph in OOo, even when starting with a native sheet.

Listening test diagrams

Reply #5
I think it is possible to make such a graph, though OO's graph editing tools make it difficult.

The real killer for me is that OO can't handle more than 32767 rows!  How lame is that?  At work I have to periodically make up inventory lists in spreadsheet format, and because we sell more than 33000 parts, I have to fire up a windows computer just for that purpose.
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Listening test diagrams

Reply #6
The real killer for me is that OO can't handle more than 32767 rows!  How lame is that?  At work I have to periodically make up inventory lists in spreadsheet format, and because we sell more than 33000 parts, I have to fire up a windows computer just for that purpose.

Gnumeric will handle 65536 rows and is, IMHO, a better spreadsheet than OO.  But, as much as it pains me to say it, nothing comes close to Excel in overall usability.

--John

Listening test diagrams

Reply #7
It is fairly easy to generate these types of plots using gnuplot

ff123

Listening test diagrams

Reply #8
Gnumeric will handle 65536 rows and is, IMHO, a better spreadsheet than OO.  But, as much as it pains me to say it, nothing comes close to Excel in overall usability.

Shoot, I don't need to do anything fancy, just tally up a few basic things (in 33-36k rows)...  Does Gnumeric handle xls files?
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Listening test diagrams

Reply #9
Shoot, I don't need to do anything fancy, just tally up a few basic things (in 33-36k rows)...  Does Gnumeric handle xls files?

Sure does.  Reads 95/97/2000 (I think XP might be a problem); writes 95 only.

Excel format is definitely the lingua franca of spreadsheets.  I always find it ironic when I have to use xls format to exchange data between Gnumeric and Open Office.

--John