Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Upgrade questions (Read 1834 times) previous topic - next topic

Upgrade questions

I just purchased a Dell XPS Studio 8100 running Windows 7 x64.  It came w/ a Realtek HD Audio card + THX/Creative THX Tru Studio PC software.  I'd like to improve the quality of what I'm hearing whether listening via external Swan D1080 speakers (inexpensive, but not too bad) or Sennheiser HD 650 phones.  I was thinking of purchasing an Asus Xonar Essence ST or SXT  soundcard, but while researching the Xonar cards I came across threads claiming that the Musiland Monitor USB 02 or a M2Tech hiFace are better options.  I'll be getting a Squeezebox unit this summer (probably the new Squeezebox Touch as its DAC is better than the one in the Duet) and was not planning on purchasing a DAC just to use until I get a Squeezebox.  So, now I need some advice:

1) The Musiland and the hiFace need to be connected to the S/PDIF input of a DAC or amplifier (preferably one that accepts 192kHz digital audio streams at their S/PDIF input).  Is this correct? 
2) My Perreaux headphone amp only has RCA inputs, so to use the Musiland or hiFace, I'd need to get a different amp or purchase a DAC?  Is this correct?
3) When using a Squeezebox product, the sound card is by-passed, thus the quality of the sound card is irrelevant.  However, could the Musiland or hiFace be used between the pc and Squeezebox, and if so, would their use be benefical?
4) Are there other options under $200 that I should consider?

I'll be listening to streaming music on Rhapsody/Napster/Pandora/Last.fm and CD's played on the computer or ripped using EAC.  FWIW, I am not a gamer.

Thanks for the help!
-------------------------------------------------------
Senn HD 650, Perreaux Sihoutte SXH1 amp,
Denon AVR 3806, Denon DVD 1920, Revel Concerta F12 speakers
Dell XPS 8100 Realtek HD Audio SC w/ Tru Studio PC software (Creative/THX)
Swann D1080 Mk II speakers
Monster HTS 3500 Mk II and various cables.