Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No more file type icons in explorer (Read 6291 times) previous topic - next topic

No more file type icons in explorer

I admit this is half OT. The picture explains the problem: Windows 2000 doesn't show the fb2k icons for the file extensions any more. I think it happened after accidentally associating audio files to mplayer (by mplayer setup). I re-associated with the foobar preferences function "associate all". But that didn't help. I mean, the file types are associated with fb2k, but the icons do not show up.

In the picture you see, everything seems to be set right. Any ideas?

Reply #1
I couldn't solve it. Even after deleting the affected extensions out of the explorer options (the file associations options) and re-associating with fb2k, and after cleaning the icon cache with tweak ui, the icons stay the same.

Reply #2
Have you tried changing the icon for the filetype, letting the icon cache reload, and then changing it back to the fb2k icon?

- M.

Reply #4
Try deleting everything under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts' (it's harmless). Or at least try deleting those keys that refer to audio file types

Reply #5
Have you tried changing the icon for the filetype

Done.

, letting the icon cache reload,

Done.

and then changing it back to the fb2k icon?

Done, and, tada: didn't help.

Even more confusing, when I changed an extension of a file from lowercase to uppercase, windows showed the correct icon in that case. Case sensitive? W0000TTt?

I reluctantly installed an extension manager shareware. This also showed up everything was fine with my extensions I tested. But when I used this software to re-save the extension, it really repaired it. It does do something more than the fb2k file association dialog, but I don't know what. In HKCR I don't see any differences between the broken and working file types.

@Roentgen: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" does only hold the "open with" history here on w2k. Deleting didn't solve the problem.

EDIT. ROENTGEN WAS RIGHT. Deleting the extension in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\" AND THEN re-associating with foobar solved the problem.
So I think foobars file association function should first delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[filetype]" and the associate file types in order to work properly, shouldn't it?

What I also see is, after I disassociate all fb2k file extensions then, the mpui supported ones get the icon of mpui again. mpui as a 2nd choice in a way. Which leads me to the result that foobar does not fully kill old file associations, but I don't know what exactly happens.

Anyway, re-association works now, thx roentgen.

Reply #6
OK, this is for Peter.

LoRd_MuldeR over at doom9.org ran into file assoc problems as well and describes what is necessary:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=117083

File Asscociations are not only stored at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.foo
They are also stored here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.foo

To set it up properly, it needs to clean up both locations!

Code: [Select]
Section
DeleteRegKey HKCR ".foo"
DeleteRegKey HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.foo"
WriteRegStr HKCR ".foo" "" "FooFile"

DeleteRegKey HKCR "FooFile"
WriteRegStr HKCR "FooFile" "" "Foo File Type"
WriteRegStr HKCR "FooFile\DefaultIcon" "" "foo.exe,0"
WriteRegStr HKCR "Foo"

The latter is an NSIS script.