Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Kernal Streaming mutes everyother sound? (Read 3974 times) previous topic - next topic

Kernal Streaming mutes everyother sound?

Whenever I try and use Kernal Stream with my M-Audio Revo on 0.7.7b, every sound (like Trillian) is muted. However, when I use ASIO, I can hear other sounds fine, but sometimes the music skips.

What can I do to fix the kernal streaming problem? and what kind of settings can I use with ASIO to fix the skips?

the ASIO version is the dll version from otachan's site or whatever. I'm trying the exe version to and it still has the small skipping issue.

Reply #2
Didn't before, when I use the nForce2 onboard audio

Also, what can you recommend to me (as in settings) to get the most out of my Revo and foobar?

edit: ASIO doesn't seem to want to work with 16bit or 24bit settings. kernal doesn't like 24bit.

Reply #3
Kernel Streaming works that way on cards that don't support hardware acceleration of DirectSound; that is your Revo (based on Envy24HT).
nForce2, on the other hand supports HW acceleration. So, it doesn't mute sounds.

ASIO skips should be fixed if you increase ASIO latency - for fb2k you should use around 100ms - that should work pretty nicely, and won't be overkill.

(BTW, why do you need KS or ASIO really?)

Reply #4
When I use KS with foobar, all is well until any sound is played by windows (new email ding etc.).  The other sound will play and foobar will become "muted".  The song will continue to play on screen but no sound from the soundcard.  If I stop the song and then press play, everything works again.  Is this how it is meant to work?  Is this a bug?  Thanks for any help.

My setup:
WinXP pro
Foobar -> Chaintech AV-710 (via 4.32b drivers) -> digital out -> my amp
"Monkey see, monkey do, yeah."  David J. Matthews

Reply #5
This is what RIV@NVX was talking about.  Your sound card isn't able to mix the two sounds by itself, so it gives up on the sound from foobar2000 and plays back the sound effect instead.  The solution is to get a different sound card (which costs money) or to stop using kernel streaming and let Windows mix things for you (which costs nothing).

Reply #6
on a side note I found that kernal streaming doesnt handle 5.1 sound.....sad, and ASIO well the channels are all messed up, the music all ways ends up on the wrong channels........the only fix is skippy's channel mixer, but I find the sound from directsound v2.5 with channel mixer set to 5.1 with the center off sounds better through my sound storm which set on 5.1 DD live, to my Z-680's via optical...........

Reply #7
When I use KS with foobar, all is well until any sound is played by windows (new email ding etc.).  The other sound will play and foobar will become "muted".  The song will continue to play on screen but no sound from the soundcard.  If I stop the song and then press play, everything works again.  Is this how it is meant to work?  Is this a bug?  Thanks for any help.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261911"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If yu have onboard audio, use that for your Windows sounds, or just turn the whole lot  (I mean Windows sounds) off.