Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ''Unrecoverable playback error: Could not query sample rate'' (Read 11066 times) previous topic - next topic

''Unrecoverable playback error: Could not query sample rate''

Hi All,

new to Foobar (yesterday) and new to DSD (want to hear what all the hype is about).

I have bought one of these.....
http://diyhifishop.com/xmos-u8-usb-384k-i2s-spdif-support-dsd-for-es9018-dac-p-402.html?zenid=gkg3pdmgn9jvbl500g958hq8u4
which came with a Driver and a pdf explaining how to set up Foobar for DSD Playback.

I have downloaded some DSD Files from here.......
http://www.2l.no/hires/

However, when I try and play any of the DSD Files I get the Error Message...
''Unrecoverable playback error: Could not query sample rate''
and playback doesn't start.

I will attach a copy of the pdf instructions for setting up Foobar for playing DSD Files.
Hopefully someone will be good enough to have a read through and see if there are any mistakes and offer some solutions.

Thanks,

James.
(Sorry if this is in wrong place and should be in 3rd Party...... Please move as appropriate)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
Foobar2000 1.3.9

Re: ''Unrecoverable playback error: Could not query sample rate''

Reply #1
You might want to go to the source for the SACD plugin: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/ and install a later version than your instructions mention.  I'd use 0.8.4.  The instructions in your .pdf seem correct, but I'd also read the "readme"'s in the SACD plugin installation: both the one at the top level of the .zip file and the one in the ASIO Proxy install location.  The 0.9.x versions don't need the ASIO proxy but I've run into some minor problems with them and the 0.8.4 is quite solid for my use.

Reply #2
Many thanks for your reply.

That's changed things slightly!!

I now get ''Unrecoverable playback error: Could not query ASIO buffer sizes'' as an Error Message and still no playback.
We may be getting there.........Close but no Cigar yet!!

Thanks again for your help so far.

James.

Reply #3
In the ASIO proxy configuration page is the "DSD Playback Method" set to "DoP Marker 0x05/0xFA"?  It sounds like you might have "ASIO Native" or "dCS Marker 0xAA" set.  (I don't know if "exD Marker" will work in your setup.)  Otherwise if you've followed the instructions given for setting up foobar2000 then the problem isn't with foobar2000 or the ASIO proxy, etc.  I'd check with the kit designers.  (Well if you downloaded a multichannel recording from 2L.no I don't know how well it could work in your setup:  I know it would fail in mine.)

Reply #4
Thanks again for your help and perseverence!

Yes, I have checked and Foobar is set for ''DoP Marker 0x05/0xFA''. (Quick question here though, is this not DoP (DSD over PCM)? I bought the mentioned Card in the hope it was capable of native DSD Playback).

I do think you're right though that it's not Foobar at fault but rather the Card or more likely my PC settings, or me!!
Therefore if the Mods want to move this thread please do so.

If I don't set Foobar for DoP Marker 0x05/0xFA but set the Output (in Preferences) to the Card itself (''DS: XMOS (XMOS XS1-U8 MFA'') then Foobar appears to play. There's nothing in the VU Bar Graph Display but I understand this to be correct. However, there is still no Output from the Card at the ''DSD'' Pin. I understand from the Card Manufacturers that in DSD Mode one channel DSD should be outputted from this Pin, the other channel from the BCK Pin or the DATA Pin with the relelvent Clocks outputted from LRCK etc etc.

Maybe a 'stupid' question but does the USB have to be version 2.0 or higher?
My Laptop definitely has USB 2.0 sockets but that's running Windows 10 and I cannot load the necessary Drivers for the Card on that, no matter what and how many times I try!
Another email to Card Manufacturer I think, though they don't seem too helpfull. ''....have you read the pdf?....'' was their last answer. I know I'm a bloke and 'don't read instructions' ! But on this occasion I actually did!

As I say, thanks for you help so far.

James.

Reply #5
Sorry I assumed you wanted DoP.  I'm used to DACs that support DoP and that's usually the path of least resistance.  Also there's no particular reason to use the ASIO proxy if you are going to run DSD native to your DAC.  Other than possibly converting PCM to DSD or converting DSD sample rates, it's main use is providing DoP.

Yes you absolutely need USB 2.0 or higher for any native DSD or for DSD 128 via DoP.  USB 1.0 only supports sample rates up to 96k.

Tho some DACs might sound different when rendering DSD via DoP than rendering native DSD I wouldn't get too hung up on it.  Those differences should be much smaller than the one's you are looking for by using DSD.

Reply #6
I seem to have it sorted!

I don't know who pointed me in their direction or whether I was just Google searching but I cam across this...........

http://jlsounds.com/uploads/foobar_ASIO_setup.pdf

I followed this to the letter downloading and installing the necessary Drivers and Files mentioned.
This has allowed new options within Foobar.
Such as ;

In the Output Menu I now have ''DSD : ASIO : XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 3033''
Following the jlsounds info has allowed access to ''Custom Channel Mappings'' which have been selected as per the jlsounds pdf.
In SACD Menu access is now acheivable to ''DSD Output Device'' which has been set again as per the jlsounds pdf.

I can't say this will work for everyone I'm afraid but it certainly works with the XMOS U8 Chip on the PCB I mentioned in my first post on this thread.

Too soon to say if I think DSD is better/worse. I need to build a better Filter for the output of the PCB, there's quite a lot of HF Noise at the moment. But at least I now have an Analogue Output which can be compared to my PCM DAC.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Best wishes,

James.