Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New buttons in 0.9.5 beta 4 (edit: and 5) (Read 29271 times) previous topic - next topic

New buttons in 0.9.5 beta 4 (edit: and 5)

Reply #50
Awesome buttons, thanks a lot for listening to feedback and reacting!

Pretty low contrast though, this should be a problem for people with low vision - maybe you should make the buttons black, not white?

Reply #51
The beta 5 buttons are just awful. They couldn't be any plainer, than if I hand drew them on scratch paper. Thanks everyone, you all got what you wished for!
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #52
Yes the new buttons are perfect for me, too.

Reply #53
Yes, that's what buttons in non-skinnable applications should look like: clean, simple, neutral!

Thank you!
fooruncle

Reply #54
Yes! Liking the new buttons. The oval shape and the gradient made beta 4 buttons look cheap. Thanks for listening to feedback.

Reply #55
good job on the new buttons, they are so much better now

Reply #56
thanks for removing the horrible beta4 buttons, those new ones are clearly better, but it still i'd love to see the old ones again.

Reply #57
Liking the new buttons in beta5!  Thanks

Reply #58
I kind of think the beta5 buttons don't fit with the regular old "Windows Classic" colour scheme at all; not that it really matters.

Regardless, I present the following question:

I read that the new default interface was made to be user-friendly before anything else, and many features were left out deliberately because of this.  Is custom buttons one of these features?

I wouldn't think so, but maybe I don't fit in with the demographic that "user-friendly" is marketed to.

Reply #59
Maybe not the best set of buttons, but really good compared to the previous one!
Thanks!

Reply #60
the new buttons in beta 5 could be smoother a bit, imo, and now playing triangle with inner shadow doesn't look well on a dark playlist layout

Reply #61
Regardless, I present the following question:

I read that the new default interface was made to be user-friendly before anything else, and many features were left out deliberately because of this.  Is custom buttons one of these features?

I wouldn't think so, but maybe I don't fit in with the demographic that "user-friendly" is marketed to.

Has already been answered before: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=531492

the new buttons in beta 5 could be smoother a bit, imo, and now playing triangle with inner shadow doesn't look well on a dark playlist layout

Hm, I got a dark background in my playlists and I like the way the play/pause buttons fit in with the inner shading.

Besides, now the buttons are not cropped anymore (top/bottom) like the ones before. It was even worse when you double-clicked the playing column delimter (top/bottom/left/right cropped).

Reply #62
thx for the new buttons in beta5, i like them much better. 

i do think they might look better black, but the way they are is just fine.

Reply #63
loving the new buttons, thanks for listening to the feedback!!

Reply #64
Although I had to change my colour scheme to accommodate them, the new buttons are nice.

Reply #65
Nice than before.....but

A little round corner is much better.....I supposed

Reply #66
I like the B5 buttons better than B4, thx.
The "low contrast" remark is valid though, especially in the playlistview "playing" column. Wouldn't black or "same as font color" be better still?

It seems impossible to please everybody (except maybe making it customizable) 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #67
The beta 5 buttons are just awful. They couldn't be any plainer, than if I hand drew them on scratch paper. Thanks everyone, you all got what you wished for!

If you're looking for eye candy, why are you using the std_ui?  It's _supposed_ to be plain.

Reply #68

If you're looking for eye candy, why are you using the std_ui? It's _supposed_ to be plain.

See, the thing is, I'm not looking for eye candy. I just don't like plain vanilla, and the NEW standard UI is not vanilla anymore. So, like Goldilocks, I want something that is neither eye candy, nor plain vanilla. I want it "just right!", Hopefully, Peter will come up with a style that everyone can live with.

But, thanks for asking!
Surf's Up!

Reply #69
See, the thing is, I'm not looking for eye candy. I just don't like plain vanilla, and the NEW standard UI is not vanilla anymore. So, like Goldilocks, I want something that is neither eye candy, nor plain vanilla. I want it "just right!", Hopefully, Peter will come up with a style that everyone can live with.

'Just right' is a matter of taste.

Taste should not be an argument here: what's more important is that applications that are not skinnable and customizable should use standard Windows UI elements to fit to as many visual styles as possible. If standard elements aren't available (like in the case of the buttons), neutral styles like the b5 buttons are the best solution. That's all. As soon as people can change the buttons easily, anything goes.

fooruncle

Reply #70

'Just right' is a matter of taste.

Taste should not be an argument here: what's more important is that applications that are not skinnable and customizable should use standard Windows UI elements to fit to as many visual styles as possible. If standard elements aren't available (like in the case of the buttons), neutral styles like the b5 buttons are the best solution. That's all. As soon as people can change the buttons easily, anything goes.

fooruncle

Agreed. as to your last sentence, but I think the buttons used in version 0.9.4.5 were a good compromise and more in line with the look of the new standard UI. They were not gawdy or eye candy, but were easy on the eye in terms of color contrast. Personally, I'll use foobar2000 with whatever buttons are offered. Just as everyone else here in this topic complained about the preceding buttons, I am just voicing my complaint about this set of buttons. "Just right" in my case is a neutral Windows UI element, just not the one in beta 5.
Surf's Up!

Reply #71
i would like to see the return of those fancy ascii buttons.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #72
I put these together in paint real quick. Maybe if you just kept all the icons as simple glyphs, you could make them color adjustable so they could fit into anyone's theme (you could set the glyph and shadow color under "Colors and Fonts" or maybe just inherit them from system colors).

Reply #73
Use Columns UI or Panels UI if you guys want to change the appearance of the buttons.

I vote for 'customization' in a way that you can add/remove/re-aarange the buttons, (like when you customize the toolbar buttons in windows explorer) but the button appearance should remain as-is.

Like I said there are components for customizing the appearance of the buttons, use them if you can't deal with the default set provided with foobar, its as easy as that.

Reply #74
Use Columns UI or Panels UI if you guys want to change the appearance of the buttons.

I vote for 'customization' in a way that you can add/remove/re-aarange the buttons, (like when you customize the toolbar buttons in windows explorer) but the button appearance should remain as-is.

Like I said there are components for customizing the appearance of the buttons, use them if you can't deal with the default set provided with foobar, its as easy as that.

you're on a "blondes are stupid" level of argumentation.