Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Track-per-tack rip or 1 file + cue sheet (Read 8013 times) previous topic - next topic

Track-per-tack rip or 1 file + cue sheet

Hi all!

I actually hate this 1 file + cue sheet things... 

I prefer track-per-track way.

Could somebody please tell me why my way is worse?

I'd prefer if you'd tell me "it's ok, track per track way is great"...

Thanks

Reply #1
it's ok, track per track way is great

The only drawback is that you will have to take additional steps to grab HTOA (if your drive even supports it).  There's also an issue with noncompliant CUE sheets not being compatible with some programs, but it's not a problem if you're using EAC or Burrrn.

Reply #2
greynol

sorry, don't know what HTOA is...

In other words, my way of ripping provides the results that are absolutely not worse in terms of audio quality, and this choice depends on personal likes and dislikes only?

Reply #3
HTOA means Hidden Track One Audio; it's when there's music before the beginning of the first track.

Yes, ripping to individual tracks or single-file images is just a matter of personal taste.

Reply #4
thanks a lot!

Reply #5
@ Greynol:
For my own sanity, would HTOA be successfully ripped using an image and CUE ripping scheme?

If your drive can extract HTOA, then yes.

To rip HTOA separately, you simply select the first track and choose "Copy Selected Tracks Index-Based" from the Action menu.  Keep the 01.00 track and blow away the 01.01 track if you ripped the disc with gaps appended to the previous track.

To integrate separately ripped HTOA into a noncompliant CUE sheet check out this post:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=448865
Thanks.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #6
@MusicLover
You can configure EAC to prepend gaps to the current track (EAC actually calls this "Append Gaps To Next Track") and HTOA will be included in before the first track in the first file.  The CUE sheet that goes with this method of gap placement is "Multiple WAV Files With Corrected Gaps" and is compliant.

Some people like to rip this way and maybe you'll like the outcome; personally, I don't.

@SamHain86

To rip HTOA separately, you simply select the first track and choose "Copy Selected Tracks Index-Based" from the Action menu.  Keep the 01.00 track and blow away the 01.01 track if you ripped the disc with gaps appended to the previous track.

To integrate separately ripped HTOA into a noncompliant CUE sheet check out this post:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=448865

Reply #7
PS does EAC allow "test and copy" in the 1 file + CUE mode? It used to allow this in track per track mode only...

Reply #9
@SamHain86
A couple of points:
  • More recent versions of EAC will highlight the first track in red if the disc has HTOA.
  • To test, you could see whether you own one of the CDs listed in this thread.
  • If not, take a look at this page which tells you how to test, and provides the image/cue of a CD with HTOA.  Of course, you could just make your own.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #10
Could somebody please tell me what about the pre-gaps? Is it possible to keep the original pre-gaps with the track-per-track way?

As far as I understand, pre-gaps are preserved, they are just added to the end of the track in the default track-per-track mode and the only issue can occur with the pre-gap before the first track (which we have discussed already).

Reply #11
greynol covered this above.

As you say, the standard method is to append the gaps to the previous track.  This works fine for everything except the first track, whether there is no previous track.

See greynol's post for a method to extract the HTOA as a separate file.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #12
Thanks to all, your help is appreciated.

One, (as I now think) last question. What if a I want to make a 1 file with a cue sheet out of the track-per-track album without the cue sheet, is it possible?

I have found such a feature in foobar! Now my question is: are the resulting two files identical to those, created with EAC while ripping the disc?

Reply #13
BTW what about this disc?

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-409060/a51_32_2.JPG.html

CUE

REM GENRE Rock
REM DATE 2004
REM DISCID 880F0508
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb3"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
TITLE "InTo The Electric Castle CD1"
FILE "Ayreon - InTo The Electric Castle CD1.ape" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Welcome to the New Dimension"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Isis and Osiris: Let the Journey Begin/The Hall of Isis and Osiris"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
INDEX 01 03:06:25
INDEX 02 06:11:51
INDEX 03 09:33:21
INDEX 04 12:56:19
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Amazing Flight (A. Amazing Flight in Space/B. Stardance/C. Flying ...)"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
INDEX 01 14:17:25
INDEX 02 19:28:45
INDEX 03 20:55:66
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Time Beyond Time"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
INDEX 01 24:32:60
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Decision Tree (We're Alive)"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
INDEX 01 30:37:35
TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "Tunnel of Light"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
INDEX 01 37:01:00
TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "Across the Rainbow Bridge"
PERFORMER "Ayreon"
INDEX 01 41:06:10

Reply #14
Well, those are indices, unfortunately not recogniseable by any software player.
My Marantz CD player can display indices and skip to the desired index.
I have a couple of CD's that have tracks with indices.
On one CD, for example, a toccata for theorbe by Kapsberger is divided with 5 indices and there is an analysis of the each section in the booklet, so you can follow the explanations and hear the music knowing exactly where each section begins
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #15
One, (as I now think) last question. What if a I want to make a 1 file with a cue sheet out of the track-per-track album without the cue sheet, is it possible?

I have found such a feature in foobar! Now my question is: are the resulting two files identical to those, created with EAC while ripping the disc?

If you don't have a cuesheet for the track-per-track files, any resulting cuesheet you'd generate would be missing the gap information.  The WAV file however would be identical to a single-file EAC rip assuming there was no HTOA, or if there was that you took special care to rip it.

You'll need a non-compliant cuesheet for your track-per-track files if you want to convert to a single-file cuesheet with the gap information preserved.